Pac-12 Presidents starting to grumble about P12N

PAC MAN

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/18/pac-12-networks-university-presidents-have-concern-about-the-revenue-why-that-matters/

It's good that WSU's president just spoke up and perhaps having an athletic department running in the red led him to do so.

I think one of the reasons why the P12N is lagging is somehow related to the offerings that it has versus the B1G.  Namely hockey and men's lacrosse.

ASU has the hockey team and five other P12 teams just need to step up and the P12 can sanction hockey (minimum of six teams).  Colorado has three hockey programs: Denver, Colorado College (Colorado Springs), and Air Force.

https://laxallstars.com/pac-twelve-mens-lacrosse/

Utah has the men's lacrosse team coming in 2019 and five other P12 teams need to step up as well.  Women's lacrosse got it going but I'm not trying to be sexist...I just happen to prefer men's sports.  I'm not the only CU fan who is clamoring for a good spring sport since the Buffs don't have baseball and I would like to believe that CU will be one of those five schools that adds men's lacrosse sooner than later.

Denver and Air Force have men's lacrosse teams.  Both schools could help establish the Pac-12 men's lacrosse conference which would mean three more Pac-12 schools just need to move up to D1 and it's good to go.

48 minutes ago, Orange said:

Yes, hockey and lacrosse are the reasons for the network's failure.

Wow.

Yeah, agree.. WTF does this have to do with hockey and lacrosse? 

As far as the article.. $32 million + per school isn't bad.. I read another article that showed the ACC was about $25 million and the B12 was about $30 million in 2016.. Much of the TV contact revenue depends on when the contract was negotiated.. Our deal was negotiated in 2010-2011.. Obviously market conditions are different in 2017.. I think our deal goes to 2025.. The revenue distributions for the last year of the P10 were around $10 million per school with some getting more with unequal splits.. So more than tripling revenue in about 6 years isn't lack of progress..

The 1600 lb elephant in our room is always the P12 network. $2.5 million per year isn't horrible.. But there was some info a few years ago showing the P12 network execs were making around double the salary of similar positions of folks in other conferences with networks.. That's not good.. They need to trim the fat for sure.. Controlling and owning our assets has value but at the end of the day, presidents just like any other good business leader care about the bottom line.. If push comes to shove, I guess we can always sell equity of our channel like the B1G and SEC.

I also think Presidents and AD's can do a better job of getting more interest in our programs and filling seats. Lets face it, we will likely never have the eyeballs of the B1G and SEC but I think there is room for improvement by the time the next TV contract comes around.

4 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

We got two retards who can't read...

Good point.. Because those two sports drive athletic departments and revenue.. They're not really just filler content for channels looking to fill slots... I'm sure B1G fans aren't looking to watch football and basketball, they are waiting to give their viewership for high powered Lacrosse matches..And that's really the bread and butter of the BTN..

You're simply fucking brilliant..

Ice hockey and lacrosse notwithstanding, and with all due respect to gymnastics, volleyball and soccer, I do think the Pac-12's emphasis on trying to include every sport in its programming hurts its viewership. I pretty much quit watching it from January through August, except for the occasional basketball, baseball or softball game.

Say what you will about Paul Fienbaum, but the SEC Network has destination programming with that guy. I'm not suggesting such a concept would work in the western U.S., I don't think it would, but when your best-known personality is Mike Yam, well, you're pretty vanilla.

19 minutes ago, Quack 12 said:

Ice hockey and lacrosse notwithstanding, and with all due respect to gymnastics, volleyball and soccer, I do think the Pac-12's emphasis on trying to include every sport in its programming hurts its viewership. I pretty much quit watching it from January through August, except for the occasional basketball, baseball or softball game.

Say what you will about Paul Fienbaum, but the SEC Network has destination programming with that guy. I'm not suggesting such a concept would work in the western U.S., I don't think it would, but when your best-known personality is Mike Yam, well, you're pretty vanilla.

I think jalapeno was actually making the argument we don't televise ENOUGH of that shit.

indeed he was, and spent his entire post talking about them, then called a few people retards when they called him on it.

hockey, lacrosse, swimming... these sports don't do squat. a "greatest hits" of football/basketball games for each school would do better than asu vs oregon ice hockey. an NFL Films style look at each school's football season would do better. football and basketball coaches shows would do better. 

and even then, they aren't doing great. but they'd be cheaper.

I tried watching around the PAC 12 a few times, but when the show is 15 min of football and 45 of sports I couldn't care less about like women's soccer, water polo and some other sports that only parents support, I don't see any reason to tune in.  

I was with Comcast for 13 years and was always able to watch the Pac 12 Network. My bills reached over $210 a month with Comcast so I switched to Direct TV while strolling through Costco. Pac 12 Network isn’t that bad except for the fact that I can’t watch it on my Direct TV. I ended up purchasing Sling television and my Utes haven’t been on Pac 12 Network as of yet.  

44 minutes ago, Utefan1211 said:

I was with Comcast for 13 years and was always able to watch the Pac 12 Network. My bills reached over $210 a month with Comcast so I switched to Direct TV while strolling through Costco. Pac 12 Network isn’t that bad except for the fact that I can’t watch it on my Direct TV. I ended up purchasing Sling television and my Utes haven’t been on Pac 12 Network as of yet.  

They were on P12N first game of the season and next will be against Oregon.

On 10/18/2017 at 9:11 PM, Jalapeno said:

Once again you swung and missed the mark.

Quack12 & Rogue finished what I started.

Uh, bullshit.  Everyone knows exactly what you were saying.

If you meant something different, that's on you for your abject failure to communicate.  But what's really happening here is you're self-correcting.

Archived