non-conference games

glduck

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i kept thinking back to brandon mccoy choosing unlv these past two games. we really lack that interior presence on both ends, this team’s ceiling is likely a weekend shorter in the tourney than what it very nearly could have been.

i do think wooten will get there at some point. he and bol could be monsters for us next year.

Oregon returned literally one player from last season who had any meaningful minutes and is of course struggling to communicate on defense.  That said, Payton Pritchard seems to have won whatever leadership struggle there was between him and Troy Brown, and as posted by GL, if Wooten can rotate even a fraction of a second earlier on drives by the opposing team to the rim, this team is going to be fine.  The McCoy to UNLV thing is so baffling that I will never understand it.

The Troy Brown thing does concern me a bit, because watching him he may have a bit of Jabari Brown in him, yet Troy is a much more gifted player and can be a lottery pick if he will allow himself to be coached and try to play some defense.

1 minute ago, Jalapeno said:

Young Buffs struggled in the 1H against Air Force and pulled out the win.  That helped take some sting off the football season for me.  Now next game is this Saturday in Ft. Collins against Colorado State and a big test.

A win over Air Force in basketball takes the sting out of yet another last place finish in football? Man, CU fans have a low bar.

11 hours ago, Mano said:

A win over Air Force in basketball takes the sting out of yet another last place finish in football? Man, CU fans have a low bar.

I said young team not experienced team.  If last year's squad only beat AFA by that amount, I'd be harsh on that squad.

WSU has been a pleasant surprise but I'm not sure how good they actually are.  They might end up being a solid team that makes the tournament but I'm not sure.

ASU on the other hand looks like a sure-fire NCAA tournament team.  They are athletic, big, can shoot, rebound, and attack off the dribble.  The only thing they can't do well is defend and if they ever start doing that, look out.  I've seen them play 3 times now and I would be very surprised if they didn't have a top 5 conference finish this year. 

i've got no problem with asu/wsu as 1-2 in the power rankings right now. handling xavier like asu did is likely going to be the non-con pinnacle for this conference, and those november tournaments against quality mid-majors like st. mary's are always death for us, so kudos to wazzu for getting to december unscathed. 

i make a lot of ernie jokes, but after a 13-year relationship i feel entitled. truth is, the man coached over some of my favorite all-time moments and players so i'm really happy he's had such a positive start to the season. 

the rest of the conference, who the hell knows. some decent records but a lot of unknowns. arizona and oregon going a combined 1-5 in their respective tournaments sucks ass because the likelihood of arizona and oregon making the tourney is strong, yet we've both screwed the non-con pooch for everybody else.

really disappointed usc looked so... blah against a&m yesterday, a team they handled last year. after arizona's tragic week, i thought sc was going to be everybody's odds-on favorite. but that was not a good showing.

also disappointed in stanford. portland state is not a bad team (they gave duke hell in the PK80, and duke got a lot of help from the officiating to put them away), but... you gotta beat portland state, you know? they're 3-5 with a few losses no one can blame them for (carolina, florida, ohio state) but they've also lost to eastern washington. i thought stanford had more talent around reid travis. 

22 hours ago, glduck said:

i've got no problem with asu/wsu as 1-2 in the power rankings right now. handling xavier like asu did is likely going to be the non-con pinnacle for this conference, and those november tournaments against quality mid-majors like st. mary's are always death for us, so kudos to wazzu for getting to december unscathed. 

i make a lot of ernie jokes, but after a 13-year relationship i feel entitled. truth is, the man coached over some of my favorite all-time moments and players so i'm really happy he's had such a positive start to the season. 

the rest of the conference, who the hell knows. some decent records but a lot of unknowns. arizona and oregon going a combined 1-5 in their respective tournaments sucks ass because the likelihood of arizona and oregon making the tourney is strong, yet we've both screwed the non-con pooch for everybody else.

really disappointed usc looked so... blah against a&m yesterday, a team they handled last year. after arizona's tragic week, i thought sc was going to be everybody's odds-on favorite. but that was not a good showing.

also disappointed in stanford. portland state is not a bad team (they gave duke hell in the PK80, and duke got a lot of help from the officiating to put them away), but... you gotta beat portland state, you know? they're 3-5 with a few losses no one can blame them for (carolina, florida, ohio state) but they've also lost to eastern washington. i thought stanford had more talent around reid travis. 

A few things, I don’t hate Kent and he’s basically doing what he did at UO, have a couple bad years and then one good one.  That’s great and all but at some point he needed to have multiple good years in a row, and that’s why I wanted him replaced.

Portland St is a really fun team to watch, I love their brand of basketball they go fast the whole game and god 10 deep.  OSU would be smart to snag Peery.  He’s basically built his team with JC kids, similar to how Erickson built the football program.

I know people are down on the confrence right now, but there’s a ton of new faces and youth everywhere, I’d bet by tournament time UA and UO are much diffrent and better.

boise state (6-1) @ oregon (5-2) tonight in eugene. boise is supposed to be decent (they lost their only game of note to iowa state by 11, but boise's best player didn't play) and oregon will be without troy brown (concussion protocol). i think we'll win, but it could be a decent game. hopefully the ass kicking altman gave the team all week negates the loss of brown. 

Archived