Coaching Changes

Scscsc89

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taggart probably uses possibility of this to get a pay raise from Uncle Phil.

If you can get the same pay at Oregon with similar recruiting, facilities and budget without near the expectations, plus get to live in Oregon rather than Florida, why would you move?

i'm not saying florida isn't a premiere job, because it is. 3 national titles since 1996, and a host of top 5 finishes. all the talent in the world in-state.

but they have a very difficult path to the national championship these days. they're obligated to play florida state, who has bounced back on the national stage (yes, they suck this year because of their injured qb). i think kirby smart is going to kick georgia up to an elite level. and if/when florida makes it to sec championship unblemished and can seal a spot in the playoff, they've got alabama (probably) waiting for them. and that's assuming they don't play alabama in the regular season.

i know none of those reasons would specifically keep a coach with championship aspirations from taking the job, i'm just thinking aloud. they aren't *quite* in the same situation urban meyer was, which came after florida state crashed and burned and prior to bama's resurgence. 

3 hours ago, Mano said:

Taggart probably uses possibility of this to get a pay raise from Uncle Phil.

If you can get the same pay at Oregon with similar recruiting, facilities and budget without near the expectations, plus get to live in Oregon rather than Florida, why would you move?

UO facilities are way nicer than Floridas, that's one of the down sides to UF.  They have horrible facilities.  

14 minutes ago, glduck said:

they very well may not, but if they disqualify taggart from consideration I would assume it wouldn't be for such a dumb reason.

:D sounds kind of like you are hoping they steal Taggart away ... am I misreading that?

9 hours ago, glduck said:

absolutely. taggart's had a great first 10 months on the job. 

Fair enough. I have not followed his progress closely, so will defer to you on his performance so far. 

Here is a pretty good rundown of Taggart as a candidate for Florida. The bolded paragraph is what it feels like is going on to me. https://www.alligatorarmy.com/2017/10/29/16567642/florida-gators-head-coach-candidates-scott-frost-bob-stoops-dan-mullen

Realistic and established

Willie Taggart, Oregon head coach

I didn’t include Taggart on the original list partly because it seemed to me to beggar belief that Taggart would leave a really, really good job at Oregon after just one year.

But Darren Heitner tweeting that Taggart is “now a real possibility” for Florida means that someone — and probably someone hoping to boost Taggart’s stock, given that Heitner likely has better sources among agents than at Florida — either a) thinks it’s not a fully ridiculous notion that Taggart would leave, or B) is willing to put Taggart’s name in the mix for Florida to get him some leverage at Oregon just two months into his first season in Eugene or use him as a smokescreen for another candidate.

The latter of those two lines of thought would still seem more viable to me, because leaving a school as powerful and well-connected as Oregon — which is Nike U, and in a whole lot of ways — after just one year is practically unprecedented, even in an industry as mercenary as college football. Reading even a little bit about Taggart, though, turns up his Treasure Coast roots, as he’s from Bradenton and still has plenty of family in the area.

There were a handful of faces Willie Taggart grew accustomed to seeing whenever he would get those rare chances to peer into the crowd at Raymond James Stadium during his nearly four years as South Florida’s head coach. Taggart grew up as one of six children in Palmetto and, optimistically, he hoped returning to Tampa as USF’s head coach would mean more chances to see his family.

Those chances never came as frequently as he hoped. Guiding the Bulls back to glory was a busy job. Game days, ironically, were the time when he truly had those reminders of home. He could see some of his brothers and sisters. He could see his mother, Gloria James, who still lives in Palmetto.

“I think that’s the part that I’ll miss more than anything,” Taggart said Tuesday, “because it was the one time in my college coaching career that they’ve been able to experience it with me.”

Taggart also has a reasonable buyout, at just $3 million — a sum that would fit within the reported difference between what Florida will pay McElwain as a buyout and what it could have paid.

Setting aside the potential weirdness of leaving a program after one year, Taggart is also a fantastic choice for Florida based on most other criteria. He resurrected Western Kentucky and USF programs that had fallen into deep distress — arguably, Taggart has as much to do with why both Brohm and USF’s current coach both also appear on this list as those coaches’ own efforts do. He is younger than Frost, whose Knights Taggart’s Bulls beat soundly in 2016. And his offenses have been great, if not immediately so: Western Kentucky went 0-6 and scoring 30 points only in the sixth of Taggart’s first six games, but failed to score 21 points just twice in his final season; USF didn’t score 27 points even once in Taggart’s first year, then didn’t score fewer than 30 in any game in 2016 — a feat Florida has never accomplished in school history.

Taggart would have questions to answer about a dodgy saga revolving around an offseason conditioning session that left players hospitalized and his handling of that, but he checks essentially every box that Frost does, and he has more experience at a younger age.

On 10/30/2017 at 5:00 PM, MrBug708 said:

They are in the process of finalizing plans for the football facilities, so the new coach will have a chance to put his stamp on it, so that's probably a better draw

If the new coach lasts long enough to get to use those facilities, which haven't even broken ground yet or been fully financed.

Mora profile

STRENGTHS

* Cares about his players
* No embarrassing personal behavior
* Has ability to be charismatic leader and face of program
* Good recruiter when so inclined
* Good bureaucratic in-fighter (successfully delivered Wasserman Center, high coaches salaries, shady side, etc)

WEAKNESSES
* Generally poor at assistant coach hiring/firing decisions
* Conservative philosophy in both scheme preferences and in-game tactics
* Appears less mentally engaged with program
* Program suffers from too many player suspensions
* Lax team discipline with respect to penalties
* Questionable commitment to year 'round recruiting

*Either doesn't know how to coach at elite level or delegates too much to coaches that don't know how to coach.
*Terrible judge of coaching talent

Mora views himself as a CEO-type head coach, but he doesn't employ some best practices established in business, such as (but not limited to):

-Extensive focus on hiring the best talent to drive results.
-Empowering employees to apply their ideas, because they might be better.
-Simplifying institutional values, but enforcing them without preference.

I still think Mora was the right hire in 2012, but his extension was ridiculously bad business.

TL:DR - Mora is not a CEO, he's a disinvolved micromanager that will be more strongly remembered for his failures rather than his contributions.

Archived