Coaching Changes

Scscsc89

1 hour ago, Scscsc89 said:

Slick Rick has thrown his hat in the ring for the Oregon State job.

I'm gonna go with a fat, hefty, resounding NO on this idea. 

We hired a guy that wore a fucking visor, how did that turn out? Now we're gonna go sweater vest? the fuck outta here. 

Also, he'd cost too much. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Orange said:

Probably just long enough to run the program even further into the ditch with NCAA violations, before he leaves again.  

I think he's figured out the rules, just not the coaching. I suppose there is a correlation there in this case

23 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

Mora profile

STRENGTHS

* Cares about his players
* No embarrassing personal behavior
* Has ability to be charismatic leader and face of program
* Good recruiter when so inclined
* Good bureaucratic in-fighter (successfully delivered Wasserman Center, high coaches salaries, shady side, etc)

WEAKNESSES
* Generally poor at assistant coach hiring/firing decisions
* Conservative philosophy in both scheme preferences and in-game tactics
* Appears less mentally engaged with program
* Program suffers from too many player suspensions
* Lax team discipline with respect to penalties
* Questionable commitment to year 'round recruiting

*Either doesn't know how to coach at elite level or delegates too much to coaches that don't know how to coach.
*Terrible judge of coaching talent

Mora views himself as a CEO-type head coach, but he doesn't employ some best practices established in business, such as (but not limited to):

-Extensive focus on hiring the best talent to drive results.
-Empowering employees to apply their ideas, because they might be better.
-Simplifying institutional values, but enforcing them without preference.

I still think Mora was the right hire in 2012, but his extension was ridiculously bad business.

TL:DR - Mora is not a CEO, he's a disinvolved micromanager that will be more strongly remembered for his failures rather than his contributions.

Are we talking about the same Jim Mora here?  He has all kinds of embarrassing personality behaviors, the guy is an ass hat.

*shrugs* being a dick at times seems to be a quality of pretty much every coach. But i never said no embarrassing personality behaviors, I said no embarrassing personal behaviors. You know, getting arrested, getting caught with a coed on the back of your motorcycle, showing up at a fundraiser kids ass drunk, playing alledged rapists  (you gotta admit, you walked into that one), or locking a kid in a shed.

9 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

*shrugs* being a dick at times seems to be a quality of pretty much every coach. But i never said no embarrassing personality behaviors, I said no embarrassing personal behaviors. You know, getting arrested, getting caught with a coed on the back of your motorcycle, showing up at a fundraiser kids ass drunk, playing alledged rapists  (you gotta admit, you walked into that one), or locking a kid in a shed.

For a guy who's from Seattle and played at UW he's worn out his welcome up here I can tell you that.  Personally aside he's just not a good coach, I'm not sure why any ucla fan defends the guy.  If UCLA was smart they'd fire him at seasons end and hire Norvell.

3 hours ago, RogueDuck said:

For a guy who's from Seattle and played at UW he's worn out his welcome up here I can tell you that.  Personally aside he's just not a good coach, I'm not sure why any ucla fan defends the guy.  If UCLA was smart they'd fire him at seasons end and hire Norvell.

Agree. He has a childish temper, and the resume is really not that impressive. His one-year stint with the Seahawks was a joke. He was in way over his head.

Archived