Coaching Changes

Scscsc89

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Orange said:

It's time to stop acting like skinny jeans are exclusively hipster.  You can wear your relaxed fit Levi's to your kid's soccer games if you want, but those of us who don't skip leg day rock the slim-fits.

Do people still "rock" stuff?

4 hours ago, Orange said:

It's time to stop acting like skinny jeans are exclusively hipster.  You can wear your relaxed fit Levi's to your kid's soccer games if you want, but those of us who don't skip leg day rock the slim-fits.

Plus you match your shoes to your tee-shirt.  We've already gone over this, Beavs78.  Keep on Rockin' in Bend.  I'm there tomorrow.  I'll be over at the Spark's Lake  chutes off of the NW chair if the snow hits as it's supposed to do.  Leg day isn't an issue here.  I'll wave hello to the people like you on the Sunshine Accelerator as I ride up Sunriser to head over to Pine Marten Express to hit the real snow at 9am.

i thought oregon state should have strongly considered him. it allows you to (mostly) throw offensive recruiting out the window, and the triple-option is damn hard to scheme against on a week's notice. not sure what the perception of that offense is, but i've seen a few georgia tech/navy vs notre dame games over the years and it's fun to watch. 

31 minutes ago, glduck said:

i thought oregon state should have strongly considered him. it allows you to (mostly) throw offensive recruiting out the window, and the triple-option is damn hard to scheme against on a week's notice. not sure what the perception of that offense is, but i've seen a few georgia tech/navy vs notre dame games over the years and it's fun to watch. 

WSU ran it when I arrived in ‘71 and until ‘74.  It is great fun to watch and you can pass out of it much more than what navy does.  

That said, it’s best utilized by a school with very limited ability to recruit big o linemen and pro style qbs. it would be a mistake for UA.

47 minutes ago, glduck said:

Utah played against option annually with AF. Everyone on defense needs to be assignment sound, or it will kill you, if the contain guy goes after QB they pitch and hit for big yardage. Opposing teams never really like playing against it, and will always complain of chop blocks ( which do occur quite often, even if not always called ). Whittingham's teams always have done pretty well against it, as he understands what needs to be done, and if you miss your assignments on his defenses you don't play.

2 minutes ago, Mano said:

Utah played against option annually with AF. Everyone on defense needs to be assignment sound, or it will kill you, if the contain guy goes after QB they pitch and hit for big yardage. Opposing teams never really like playing against it, and will always complain of chop blocks ( which do occur quite often, even if not always called ). Whittingham's teams always have done pretty well against it, as he understands what needs to be done, and if you miss your assignments on his defenses you don't play.

I've always thought Whittingham could wreck the Pac 12 like Petersen has done at UDub, but Kyle just doesn't seem to want to take the HC job at either of the LA schools.  I'll go on record now saying Chip Kelly isn't going to dominate the Pac South like he dominated the Pac at Oregon.  His system has been copied and even improved upon since he left college football.   As a Duck, it was so lucky to live through those years as a fan.  It won't happen again.  Most programs never get to experience it, and I'll always pull for Chip.

UA just cemented themselves as a 6-7 win team every year.  Congrats, I doubt many top recruits will sign on to run a "tripple" option.  

Also is Sumlin a terrible interview, or is there something behind the scenes we don' know about?  He lost out on jobs to old man Herm, MC and now Niumatalolo.  Not exactly the who' s who of college football.

10 minutes ago, RogueDuck said:

UA just cemented themselves as a 6-7 win team every year.  Congrats, I doubt many top recruits will sign on to run a "tripple" option.  

Also is Sumlin a terrible interview, or is there something behind the scenes we don' know about?  He lost out on jobs to old man Herm, MC and now Niumatalolo.  Not exactly the who' s who of college football.

Maybe Sumlin wants too much money? Possibly his buyout was big enough and the terms make enough sense for him to sit out for a while? Or maybe he's a bad interview.

59 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

Eh, I think he could be better than 6/7 wins, but it's not going to compete for titles either. If they did hire Ken N, they probably grab Joe Salava'ae from Oregon and Tyler Manoa

Big Joe has no ties to Ken.  The only way he goes to UA is if they offer him as the DC, which is risky since all he's ever been is a DL coach.  I'd imagine they get someone with experience.  Besides Joe already makes more as a DL coach for UO (650k) than UA paid their DC(500k).  

3 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

No obvious ties but they are both Poly and there is the alumni factor. Of they are hiring Ken, he won't break the bank, but I do think he would get the DC spot

Then I'd assume Mario will hire a Cuban DC, if that's the logic.

Archived