Coaching Changes

Scscsc89

30 minutes ago, azgreg said:

Looks like Brent Brennan of SJSU is the leader in the clubhouse.

Brennan would be a good hire

too bad Rich Rod couldn't keep it together at UA, he had that program rolling offensively. I keep hearing some football fans claim UA is a dead end program for football. I disagree. Its got good facilities, a great location, a solid fan base and the same potential as any other PAC12 program not named USC/Oregon.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m surprised by Oregon fans who quickly dismiss rumors like this. I’m not looking at it as a referendum of Cristobal’s feelings towards Oregon, or any potential desire on his part to go back to the South. Any major P5 job opening worries me as long as the Pac-12 continues to fall further behind the rest of power conferences.

This is MJ pushing back against Chips agent who I’m sure isnt wanting to negotiate down the buyout in exchange for added years.

Savvy move by MJ to remind the world that 10-20 is still our record and that a coach isn’t bigger than the university.

And if Chip wants to leave on his own? Well good luck with that one.

If Dan would have done this just one time in his two decades, we wouldn’t be where we are now.

It's interesting to look at UCLA's last five coaches:

• Bob Toledo, 49-32 overall (.605 winning %), 32-24 in conference (.571)
  • Karl Dorrell, 35-27 overall (.565 winning %), 24-18 in conference (.571)
  • Rick Neuheisel, 21-29 overall (.420 winning %), 13-23 in conference (.361)
  • Jim Mora, 44-30 overall (.605 winning %), 29-24 in conference (.547)
  • Chip Kelly, 10-20 overall (.333 winning %), 10-14 in conference (.416)

247's recruiting ranking show UCLA's ranking as follows (Toledo nailed it, as did Neu and Mora, while Dorrell and Kelly crashed.).

• 2021: 45
  • 2020: 33
  • 2018: 19
  • 2017: 20
  • 2016: 13
  • 2015: 12
  • 2014: 18
  • 2013: 7
  • 2012: 18
  • 2011: 45
  • 2010: 10
  • 2009: 13
  • 2008: 14
  • 2007: 91
  • 2006: 56
  • 2005: 21
  • 2004: 31
  • 2003: 39
  • 2002: 7
  • 2001: 13
  • 2000: 4
  • 1999: 1

So Brennan appears to be the favorite for the Arizona job, but bowl prep is slowing it down? Otherwise I dont know what the hold up is. Next on the short list? Former UCLA OC and current Patriots QB coach, Jedd Fisch. Also high on the list is Antoine Cason, former Arizona All American DB, with Norm Chow as OC.

43 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

So Brennan appears to be the favorite for the Arizona job, but bowl prep is slowing it down? Otherwise I dont know what the hold up is. Next on the short list? Former UCLA OC and current Patriots QB coach, Jedd Fisch. Also high on the list is Antoine Cason, former Arizona All American DB, with Norm Chow as OC.

wow Norm Chow is fairly old and hasn't been in the game for 5 years has he?

9 minutes ago, glduck said:

I had to look it up — I’m shocked Chow is *only* 74. I thought he was pushing 80, easy.

Chow knows the game, and likely would be fine calling plays and in game coach. The knock on Chow I heard when he was at Utah was that he wouldn't work the excessive hours preparing anymore,  and that he didn't like recruiting,  and I doubt that'll be any better 10 years later.

Archived