Coaching Changes

Scscsc89

From Scout:

Bucknuts has confirmed with three sources that Washington State defensive coordinator Alex Grinch will be joining Urban Meyer's staff at Ohio State, though in what position is unclear. And Cougfan.com has now confirmed the news with two well-placed sources in Pullman.

While details are yet to emerge, sources seem believe Grinch -- an Ohio native who played ball at Mount Union College -- will be the Buckeyes' 10th assistant coach hire. The NCAA passed a rule in April that FBS programs would be able to hire an additional on-field assistant coach to their staff as of Jan. 9. Currently staffs are allowed nine assistant coaches that are able to coach on the field and go out recruiting.

With Washington State playing in the San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl on December 28, and Ohio State playing in the Goodyear Cotton Bowl on December 29, don't expect news to officially break until after that, with January 9, the first day the additional staff member is allowed, being a possible announcement date as well.

Grinch has been the defensive coordinator under Mike Leach for the last three seasons. While there, he has made a large impact on the program, turning around the defense, and having them improve from 103rd nationally to 28th in yards per play allowed, and from 117th to 47th in scoring.

Sources tell Bucknuts that multiple coaches have targeted Grinch for their staff, including Willie Taggart at Florida State, Chad Morris at Arkansas, and Jimbo Fisher at Texas A&M, at a minimum. Grinch, though, will return home, as he is originally from Columbus suburb Grove City, and played for Mount Union during his college career. He also overlapped for some time with Ohio State co-offensive coordinator and QB coach Ryan Day, while the two were at New Hampshire.

Stay tuned for the latest developments between Grinch and Ohio State.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Figures he was onto something bigger sooner than later.  Interested to see how much money tOSU is putting up.  Sounds like he values going home/Urban Meyer to a large extent to take a lower position than he could have gotten at some good programs.  Any word on WSU reaction?  Were they willing to pony up to keep him?

Interesting, I know he interviewed with Chip and I saw another rumor he was going to join SC, but sounds like this might be a job that isn't just recruiting. He's one of the best recruiters of Socal talent as he has a pretty tight connection with Ground Zero.

Why would Oregon bring in Erickson as a coach? Why not just hire him an an analyst?

41 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

Interesting, I know he interviewed with Chip and I saw another rumor he was going to join SC, but sounds like this might be a job that isn't just recruiting. He's one of the best recruiters of Socal talent as he has a pretty tight connection with Ground Zero.

Why would Oregon bring in Erickson as a coach? Why not just hire him an an analyst?

Best thing about Erickson while he was at Utah was he opened up a recruiting pipeline to Florida. Oregon probably started that with Taggert, and Erickson could solidify.

2 hours ago, RogueDuck said:

Sounds like Donte Williams is close to joining the UO staff as OLB coach, and also heasring Dennis Erickson will join the staff as possibly the 10 coach.

As long as he is just some type of position coach without major responsibility he's probably fine... He's well past his prime and was demoted at Utah from OC for sleeping in meetings among other things... Not a bad guy and still a great recruiter with good ties in Florida(as Mano said) but I don't think he's cut our for the hard core grind of major coaching duties..

3 hours ago, utenation said:

As long as he is just some type of position coach without major responsibility he's probably fine... He's well past his prime and was demoted at Utah from OC for sleeping in meetings among other things... Not a bad guy and still a great recruiter with good ties in Florida(as Mano said) but I don't think he's cut our for the hard core grind of major coaching duties..

Is he still having issues with alcohol?  He got a DUI in Corvallis.

i don't think it's so much Florida as anywhere that has great players. Obviously California is and always will be the most important recruiting ground, but the Ducks are third or fourth choice at best among most Cali blue-chippers. Kelly made some inroads in Texas (with help from Willie Lyles!), so I suppose if Taggart's progress in Florida can be maintained, then they'll go for it. Obviously, Oregon is going to be a distant option for most kids in the south, but I guess if they can attract a few, that's a good thing.  

30 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

Why does Oregon need to recruit much in Florida?

“i say, aren’t all universities located within greater metro areas of 18 million people? why would anyone feel the need to recruit outside of their immediate vicinity?”

29 minutes ago, glduck said:

“i say, aren’t all universities located within greater metro areas of 18 million people? why would anyone feel the need to recruit outside of their immediate vicinity?”

I'd say the need to recruit east of the Mississippi is mostly unnecessary for any school located on the left coast. I didnt say to ignore it, but citing valuable inroads there seems unncessary. But it does help that you guys are locking up the in-state talent

Nice to be able to recruit Cali, Texas and Florida. I get how someone from UCLA may not see the value, when they can literally fill out their rosters with nothing but blue chip recruits that live within 50 miles of campus, but most schools do not have that luxury.

I know the Florida pipeline has been a boon for Utah, Zach Moss, Tyler Huntley, Demari Simpkins and Devontae Henry Cole all out of Florida on current team.

we wouldn’t. not sure where this “strictly a florida recruiting tool” talk even came from. it sounds like they’re talking about a one-year deal in an offensive consultant role. not play calling, just a guy who might pitch some ideas as arroyo implements his offense.

1 hour ago, MrBug708 said:

I think my confusion or just questioning lies with already having Leavitt and Cristobal on the staff, why bring another guy strictly for his connections across the country, and someone in his 60s. 

Sounding more like he's wanting to come in as an advisor type, hearing even as a QC coach who helps Arroyo with game planning.  

2 hours ago, Mano said:

Nice to be able to recruit Cali, Texas and Florida. I get how someone from UCLA may not see the value, when they can literally fill out their rosters with nothing but blue chip recruits that live within 50 miles of campus, but most schools do not have that luxury.

I know the Florida pipeline has been a boon for Utah, Zach Moss, Tyler Huntley, Demari Simpkins and Devontae Henry Cole all out of Florida on current team.

Both Rodgers brothers were from Texas.  Yvenson Bernard was from Florida.  That’s 2 of Oregon state’s top 5 all time leading rushers, and one of our all-time leaders in total yards.  

Archived