Coaching Changes

Scscsc89

And Radio is officially back in the pac 12.... And no, it isn't to early to say this is a bad hire.  It's the type of hire that will make CU the Kansas of the pac 12 for years.  Matt Entz or Harsen would have been much, much better hires.  This hire just says, we don't give a fuck about football anymore.  

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say KD’s hire has more to do with keeping both Tucker recruiting classes in Boulder.  If CU can get two more classes like that for 2021 and 2022, CU would hopefully be more of an active bowl participant going forward instead of two in the last 14 years.  That’s the cold reality of how far CU has fallen from where CU was in the past.

https://www.buffzone.com/2020/02/23/howell-colorado-buffaloes-got-substance-over-style-with-karl-dorrell/amp/

Good BuffZone article on KD.  Mel Tucker has an impressive resume and you could say that KD's resume could measure up.  He coached Rod Smith and Ed McCafferty when he worked for the Broncos.  The latter WR is now the head coach at Northern Colorado.  I have my suspicons that Coach Chev could be the long term answer at HC if it comes to that and while KD coached Chev the player at CU, he will be coaching the future Head Coach Chev.  I don't see how any other coach would be able to align with such long term plans for the program and speaking of the long term, KD had a home built in Boulder last year.

I feel much better about this hire after reading that article.  And one winning season (two bowl games) in 14 years means there isn't much risk and also much pressure.  Take the Buffs to a bowl game for a few seasons and you might be getting the keys to the city.

That might be some sobering reality facing me but no one should doubt that I will be pumping sunshine eventually.

I think the issue is that Colorado doesn't have UCLA's local talent and Dorrell took over a UCLA team that wasn't god awful, just had a lack of OL from the Toledo experience. I don't see how this helps Chev? If Dorrell is good, he's here longer than Chev will want to wait around and there is no head coach in waiting. Dorrell hasn't had recruiting connections in over a decade, hasn't been in the college ranks but for one year since then. I just don't see how this ends well. He failed because he couldn't run a program.

6 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

I think the issue is that Colorado doesn't have UCLA's local talent and Dorrell took over a UCLA team that wasn't god awful, just had a lack of OL from the Toledo experience. I don't see how this helps Chev? If Dorrell is good, he's here longer than Chev will want to wait around and there is no head coach in waiting. Dorrell hasn't had recruiting connections in over a decade, hasn't been in the college ranks but for one year since then. I just don't see how this ends well. He failed because he couldn't run a program.

One has to wonder how much of KD's UCLA tenure was due to UCLA's tendency to underachieve in addition to the systemic issues in Westwood under the just retired AD.  KD has had success within the state of Colorado not just limited to CU but also the Broncos.  Maybe he'll continue that and the pressure to win is not quite what it was with the Buffs & Broncos in the past.

The OL issue very well could be the reason for Chip Kelly's slow start and I don't see the same problem with the CU OL at this point plus it might be more of a conference wide issue than a school issue.

You could argue that Eric Bienemy did help KD at UCLA and Chev is there for KD at CU in the recruiting department.  I'm going to be curious to see who coaches the lines since both line coaches have left CU already.

And the last coach to leave the NFL's Dolphins for a return to college football?  Nick Saban.

Getting pumped up for CU football this morning.  The more I read about KD, I'm feeling better about this hire.  KD obviously understands CU and also the state of Colorado when it comes to football.  I am not sure how much a better fit a non-alumni would have for CU than KD.

2 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

One has to wonder how much of KD's UCLA tenure was due to UCLA's tendency to underachieve in addition to the systemic issues in Westwood under the just retired AD.  KD has had success within the state of Colorado not just limited to CU but also the Broncos.  Maybe he'll continue that and the pressure to win is not quite what it was with the Buffs & Broncos in the past.

The OL issue very well could be the reason for Chip Kelly's slow start and I don't see the same problem with the CU OL at this point plus it might be more of a conference wide issue than a school issue.

You could argue that Eric Bienemy did help KD at UCLA and Chev is there for KD at CU in the recruiting department.  I'm going to be curious to see who coaches the lines since both line coaches have left CU already.

And the last coach to leave the NFL's Dolphins for a return to college football?  Nick Saban.

EB could walk outside and be within 60 miles of 70% of the West's top 100kids. That's the real success.

You yourself feel like CU had grossly underachieved and you hire a coach who also underachieved at his last job? 

1 hour ago, MrBug708 said:

EB could walk outside and be within 60 miles of 70% of the West's top 100kids. That's the real success.

You yourself feel like CU had grossly underachieved and you hire a coach who also underachieved at his last job? 

Or a coach who truly wants to be here.  He built a home in Boulder and his daughter was on the CU volleyball team not that long ago: https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-volleyball/roster/lauren-dorrell/11922

Archived