The thread for famous people and sexual misconduct

MrBug708

5 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

Louis CK added to the list. So not only is he an awful comedian, he's also a shitty human being

Awful comedian?  The fuck do you like, Dane Cook?  Louis CK is, objectively, the best comic working today (okay, he was, his career is probably over).

Shitty human being?  That's a tad strong.  He's definitely a fucking creep.  I'd reserve shitty human being for the Bill Cosbys and Roy Moores and Donald Trumps of the world.

There can be more than one shitty person in the world. 

I understand a lot of people like his comedy, that's fine. I don't though.

But yes, his career is no over because much of his comedy was based on his sexual frustrations. Kinda kills it when there was a lot of truth spoken to hide his guilt. I expect sex rehab in his future.

The more I think about it, the more I think he'll come back from this.  He's a comedian.  It's a different world.  The biggest sin he (MAY HAVE) committed is having his manager subtly silence the "victims."

I read the entire NY times article, and it seems the ladies in question all essentially consented.  They went to his hotel room, he got naked, jerked off, and they stayed (and laughed) for the whole fucking thing.  Okay.  He's a fuckin' weirdo, but we knew that.

Get over it, people.

Pretty good apology.

--------------------------------------------

I want to address the stories told to The New York Times by five women named Abby, Rebecca, Dana, Julia who felt able to name themselves and one who did not.

These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was okay because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true. But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your dick isn’t a question. It’s a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly.

I have been remorseful of my actions. And I’ve tried to learn from them. And run from them. Now I’m aware of the extent of the impact of my actions. I learned yesterday the extent to which I left these women who admired me feeling badly about themselves and cautious around other men who would never have put them in that position.

I also took advantage of the fact that I was widely admired in my and their community, which disabled them from sharing their story and brought hardship to them when they tried because people who look up to me didn’t want to hear it. I didn’t think that I was doing any of that because my position allowed me not to think about it.

There is nothing about this that I forgive myself for. And I have to reconcile it with who I am. Which is nothing compared to the task I left them with.

I wish I had reacted to their admiration of me by being a good example to them as a man and given them some guidance as a comedian, including because I admired their work.

The hardest regret to live with is what you’ve done to hurt someone else. And I can hardly wrap my head around the scope of hurt I brought on them. I’d be remiss to exclude the hurt that I’ve brought on people who I work with and have worked with who’s professional and personal lives have been impacted by all of this, including projects currently in production: the cast and crew of Better Things, Baskets, The Cops, One Mississippi, and I Love You Daddy. I deeply regret that this has brought negative attention to my manager Dave Becky who only tried to mediate a situation that I caused. I’ve brought anguish and hardship to the people at FX who have given me so much The Orchard who took a chance on my movie. and every other entity that has bet on me through the years.

I’ve brought pain to my family, my friends, my children and their mother.

I have spent my long and lucky career talking and saying anything I want. I will now step back and take a long time to listen.

Thank you for reading.

He's a total piece of shit.  Anyone who could wield their power in such a way deserves our scorn and not our excuses for his inexcusable behavior.  At least he has the balls to admit that he has been a total piece of shit and perhaps he can redeem himself in the future by apologizing to his victims and getting the help he needs.  

I personally love Louie CK's comedy.  I would rank him behind only Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock as my favorite comedian alive.  But I've got to call a spade, a spade, in this situation.  

The obvious point to remember is that famous people are being ousted because other famous people are their victims and because anyone who speaks up against a famous person has a voice.   However, the secretary at the AM Law 200 company doesn't have much of a voice, the Twitter intern doesn't have much of a voice and so forth.  These kind of casting couch situations happen all over the country and it is important to realize that despite only famous people being in the headlines for such actions. 

55 minutes ago, All Hail said:

He's a total piece of shit.  Anyone who could wield their power in such a way deserves our scorn and not our excuses for his inexcusable behavior.  At least he has the balls to admit that he has been a total piece of shit and perhaps he can redeem himself in the future by apologizing to his victims and getting the help he needs.  

I personally love Louie CK's comedy.  I would rank him behind only Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock as my favorite comedian alive.  But I've got to call a spade, a spade, in this situation.  

The obvious point to remember is that famous people are being ousted because other famous people are their victims and because anyone who speaks up against a famous person has a voice.   However, the secretary at the AM Law 200 company doesn't have much of a voice, the Twitter intern doesn't have much of a voice and so forth.  These kind of casting couch situations happen all over the country and it is important to realize that despite only famous people being in the headlines for such actions. 

True that.

Maybe I'm too much of a Louis worshiper, but I think he's redeemable, and I think he's sincere in his apology.  Is he a piece of shit, or did he engage in piece of shit behavior?  I dunno.  

People still watch Woody Allen films.  Hell, people gave oscars to Polanski AFTER he fled the US for raping a kid.  And Louis's conduct doesn't even come CLOSE to their conduct.  I know, I know, excuses, rationalizations, et. al, are not politically correct right now.  

But people should really not conflate Louis CK with rapists.  I'm seeing a lot of that online right now.  The crucifixion is in higher gear for him than Roy fucking Moore.

50 minutes ago, Orange said:

True that.

Maybe I'm too much of a Louis worshiper, but I think he's redeemable, and I think he's sincere in his apology.  Is he a piece of shit, or did he engage in piece of shit behavior?  I dunno.  

People still watch Woody Allen films.  Hell, people gave oscars to Polanski AFTER he fled the US for raping a kid.  And Louis's conduct doesn't even come CLOSE to their conduct.  I know, I know, excuses, rationalizations, et. al, are not politically correct right now.  

But people should really not conflate Louis CK with rapists.  I'm seeing a lot of that online right now.  The crucifixion is in higher gear for him than Roy fucking Moore.

Just to clarify, I am still going to watch his standup and support his career because he is an entertainer.  I am never going to boycott somebody I find entertaining over their actions unless they commit rape/murder.   However, I do think it's important to call out shitty and unacceptable behavior when we see it.  Louis CK deserves the punishment he is receiving (losing out on projects, stepping away from comedy) just like he deserves a second chance.   

Also, I'm not sure why you don't know if he engaged in shitty behavior.  He said everything the women said was true and then proceeded to delve into how he abused his power to sexually harass women.   Hopefully this blows over fast and he is able to put an end to his shitty behavior because I really enjoy him as a comedian and as a writer. 

On 11/9/2017 at 2:13 PM, Orange said:

Awful comedian?  The fuck do you like, Dane Cook?  Louis CK is, objectively, the best comic working today (okay, he was, his career is probably over).

Shitty human being?  That's a tad strong.  He's definitely a fucking creep.  I'd reserve shitty human being for the Bill Cosbys and Roy Moores and Donald Trumps of the world.

Nobody likes Dane cook, he sucks also.  

warner refused to give gal gadot the same multi-picture deal that a male star would have received and because of it she’s now able to hold the WW franchise hostage and make demands (no brett ratner involvement) before signing on for the sequel. late nominee for best poetic justice moment of 2017.

On 11/10/2017 at 4:10 PM, All Hail said:

Just to clarify, I am still going to watch his standup and support his career because he is an entertainer.  I am never going to boycott somebody I find entertaining over their actions unless they commit rape/murder.   However, I do think it's important to call out shitty and unacceptable behavior when we see it.  Louis CK deserves the punishment he is receiving (losing out on projects, stepping away from comedy) just like he deserves a second chance.   

Also, I'm not sure why you don't know if he engaged in shitty behavior.  He said everything the women said was true and then proceeded to delve into how he abused his power to sexually harass women.   Hopefully this blows over fast and he is able to put an end to his shitty behavior because I really enjoy him as a comedian and as a writer. 

I didn't say this.

I questioned whether he is a shitty person, or whether he engaged in shitty behavior, i.e. it was definitely shitty behavior.  

20 hours ago, glduck said:

warner refused to give gal gadot the same multi-picture deal that a male star would have received and because of it she’s now able to hold the WW franchise hostage and make demands (no brett ratner involvement) before signing on for the sequel. late nominee for best poetic justice moment of 2017.

I fucking love that move.  Fuck Ratner.  All Hail Gal Gadot.  Hopefully someday she makes me undress on a casting couch as a producer in her 50s.

16 hours ago, RogueDuck said:

15 guys(boys at the time) have come forward saying Kevin Spacey sexually assaulted them.  At this point he's to little boys what Bill Cosby is to young ladies, it's amazing that no one is really talking about it.

I feel like it's being talked about alot.

It's easily the most stunning fall from grace for a Hollywood icon in my lifetime.  Cosby was over the hill. Spacey is still arguably in his prime.  And he's done.  For life.

I think people are just equal parts sad and outraged.

yeah the kevin spacey story is/was *everywhere* he was the biggest domino to fall after weinstein. it seemed to me like weinstein's story, while covered by most outlets, fell more into the political sphere when the right grabbed hold of it to use as ammunition in their ongoing war on hollywood. spacey's story got major play in the entertainment news outlets, because more people know who kevin spacey is. once house of cards was axed (suspended? re-tooled?) as a result the facebook world held its collective breath. 

Archived