POYs?

Scscsc89

I don’t want to start another thread for this discussion, If indeed anyone is interested. I think WSU probably benefited the most from other teams injuries. We played Oregon without Herbert (and substandard running backs), Utah without Carrington, Stanford with a lame Love And USC with a host of injuries. Three were close games And could’ve swung the other way.  Oregon too might have gone the other way with Herbert.  I’m not sure about Colorado As I strenuously avoid reading anything about Colorado, particularly on this board.

That isn’t to say WSU was immune from missing players.  We played almost the entire conference season without two of our starting linebackers, but had the depth to overcome those.  We likewise were without our number one wide receiver for one game Because he was disciplined for complaining about his number of targets.  Also when Falk was injured following his return to the Boise State game, Hilinski brought us back from a deficit to win against a top 25 team.

All in all we may have benefited the most from other teams injured players and suffered the least from our own injuries.

3 hours ago, Scscsc89 said:

I think the Offense and ST candidates are pretty easy to choose from (Tate/Love/Falk & Pettis/Powell/Ruiz) — but defense seems really wide open.

I’d vote Uchenna Nwosu or Hercules Mata'afa

Not surprisingly, I’d vote Mata’afa Giving him the nod for leading conference In tackles for loss and sacks (quantitative) And for meaning the most to his team by drawing consistent double teams, making brilliant shift calls and making his teammates more effective (qualitative).  The shift calls were a primary reason for WSU’s Defensive effectiveness and it’s record.  Small D would have been shit without Hercules.

Finally, one should Remember that WSU has a big lead for lowest opponents third down conversions and, consequentially led the league in time of possession, odd for a team that passes so much.  That’s the payoff of Mata’afa’s Leading in tackles for loss and sacks.  No P5 school has more takeaways than WSU, that’s the payoff for the havoc Hercules causes with his play and calls.

Finally, Mata’afa led a less gifted but better defense than did Nwosu.  WSU’s defense ranked in the second 100 nationally two years ago.  It was top 10 this year.  That’s due, in large part, to one bad Mata’afa.

2 hours ago, Scscsc89 said:

I would too

a)  arizona was supposed to be garbage & he is the one reason they are not.

b ) his numbers set historic records -- while Love had 1 maybe 2 big runs a game that skewed his.

Tate has 5 runs of over 70 yards.

Currently in conference play Tate is 120 yards and 2 touchdowns behind Love with one game to play so all he would have to do is simply be "average" and he will end up ahead of Love in conference, given that he is playing ASU's defense I'd say that would be a likely outcome. 

Where Tate IMO will likely lose to Love is that he didn't play much during non conference and with our weak OOC slate that is a lot of production opportunity that was taken away from him where as Love was able to put up 180+ on both Rice & SDSU to pad his resume along with a marquee game against Notre Dame to showcase him this weekend.  If Tate started the season as the #1 like he should have and gotten to play against NAU, Houston & UTEP then I think its likely he would have had a season where he threw for 1,500 yards and ran for 2,000.

way back when (and in another sport) josh childress missed most/all of the non-con season for Stanford but won pac 10 POTY because voters only looked at conference games for the conference awards. anyone know if they do the same for football? if they only look at conference games, tate doesn’t have to worry about september.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived