PAC-12 Bowl Season Thread

MrBug708

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Orange said:

I like the Utes over the Union Hillbillies.

I've been down on Utah the last half of the season with good reason.. One thing I do know is Utah will probably play their best game of the season and be ready to go.  KW is 10-1 in bowl games and bowl prep will be like boot camp. The team really feels like they let the fans down this year and this will be a good test against a good opponent.. The entire staff and players are happy to not play BYU or a MWC team in post season and get a new venue/location..  A nice recruiting opportunity as well..

I think it will be a close game with Utah edging out WVU.. Huntley's health is a question but I think he'll be good to go by Dec 26th...

1 hour ago, Orange said:

I like TCU over Stanford.  Bryce Love will have some time to heal up, but even still the Cardinal have a lot of questions at QB.

Do they though? Costello had a rough outing in his first road game against Wazzu but otherwise he's improved every week. The last two weeks against Notre Dame and USC, he's gone 22/44 for 368 yards, 6 TDs and 0 INTs (165.3 passer rating). While I wouldn't say he's one of the top quarterbacks in the Pac-12, his improvement since taking over as a starter is one of my biggest reasons for optimism regarding our bowl game and our offense as a whole next year.

1 hour ago, Card Tricks said:

Do they though? Costello had a rough outing in his first road game against Wazzu but otherwise he's improved every week. The last two weeks against Notre Dame and USC, he's gone 22/44 for 368 yards, 6 TDs and 0 INTs (165.3 passer rating). While I wouldn't say he's one of the top quarterbacks in the Pac-12, his improvement since taking over as a starter is one of my biggest reasons for optimism regarding our bowl game and our offense as a whole next year.

You'd know better than me.  Perhaps he's the answer.  I guess I weight too much of the QB performance against the Beavs in Corvallis where it looked like whoever you guys started had money on the Beavs.

11 hours ago, Orange said:

You'd know better than me.  Perhaps he's the answer.  I guess I weight too much of the QB performance against the Beavs in Corvallis where it looked like whoever you guys started had money on the Beavs.

That would be Keller Chryst, our former starter who got benched. He was subpar at best and looked absolutely abysmal against the Beavers. Costello has been a huge upgrade.

2 hours ago, trickydlck said:

You would think that with the high character guys Leach recruits he wouldn't have these issues.

Hooboy. I take it back. Apparently Leach not allowing one to play anywhere in Florida. Maybe it's not the players that have a character problem.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/wsu-cougar-football/wsus-leading-wr-tavares-martin-says-he-was-dismissed-from-the-program-because-he-asked-for-his-release/

You'd think, given the media rep, that Mike Leach wasn't the guy that he actually is.  However, he understands the value of rules, and appears to be unafraid of carrying out what needs to be done even if it risks a game day performance.  That's admirable.  As for Martin, if I recall, he also didn't play against Colorado, and Wazoo had no trouble totally dominating that game, so maybe Leach can win with or without his highest rated receivers.  One thing I won't do is bet on Michigan State in the Holiday Bowl.

USC vs Ohio State  - USC really is the only team that can beat USC when Darnold is their QB. Ohio State simply has to hope that Darnold has a bad game and he hasnt had many of those the last two years. USC by 10

Washington vs Penn State -  Penn State really embraces the Fiesta Bowl "stage". In 6 previous Fiesta Bowl Appearances they have knocked off Arizona State, Ohio State, USC, Miami, Tennessee and Texas. Chris Petersen has also embraced the Fiesta Bowl "stage", but that was at a different football program. I will give the slight edge to Washington as I think that Petersen is a great coach and James Franklin is a good coach trying to learn how to be great. Washington by 3

Stanford vs TCU - Both teams are coming off Conference Championship game defeats so neither team will really be all that enthusiastic to be here. I give the slight edge to TCU, but I wouldn't be surprised if Stanford found a way to win. TCU by 4

Washington State vs Michigan State. - I feel bad for the Holiday bowl, because the game never gets broadcast during the day. Its always a late night game. Having said that, I expect a near identical game from last years Holiday bowl. Both teams offenses will stink up the place before one team lucks into a good offense play for a touchdown to seal an ugly victory. Michigan State by 11

Arizona vs Purdue - Arizona plays well in bowl games under Rich-Rod, but I have no idea what their facing with this Brohm-led Purdue team. My confidence in picking Arizona isnt very high. Arizona by 3

Arizona State vs NC State - Todd Graham's last game as our coach. Not sure if our team is going to show up or not. Also, ASU has its worst head coaching hire since St.eve Coutchie hanging over our head in this bowl game(Herm Edwards) which will undoubtedly be a distraction and probably cause our players to lose a bit of focus. Had ASU not announced Todd Graham's firing, then I would have predicted ASU by 14, but because we fired him, these kids wont be as motivated to win as they would have been. NC State by 12

Oregon vs Boise State - Boise State really struggled last year against Interim Baylor head coach Jim Grobe in the cactus bowl, we will have to see how they handle another interim coach in Mario Cristobal for Oregon. The Ducks have Herbert back so I like their chances. Oregon by 13

UCLA vs Kansas State - I just can't get any read on this game. Both teams are wildly unpredictable. Kansas State by 17

Utah vs West Virginia - Interesting historical footnote; these two teams once matched up in a bowl game played in Atlantic City, New Jersey in 1964. The 1964 Liberty bowl game would be played inside Boardwalk Hall and was apparently the first ever bowl game to be played indoors. Neat piece of history right there. Concerning 2017, both teams are mediocre, but I think that West Virginia gets the victory. West Virginia by 14.

2 hours ago, Downthefield said:

You'd think, given the media rep, that Mike Leach wasn't the guy that he actually is.  However, he understands the value of rules, and appears to be unafraid of carrying out what needs to be done even if it risks a game day performance.  That's admirable.  As for Martin, if I recall, he also didn't play against Colorado, and Wazoo had no trouble totally dominating that game, so maybe Leach can win with or without his highest rated receivers.  One thing I won't do is bet on Michigan State in the Holiday Bowl.

Beating a terrible CU team is a lot different than beating Michigan State.

I don't know what the real story is with the receivers, but I am sure other schools will use this against Leach in recruiting. 

12 hours ago, Scscsc89 said:

5 people in our bowl pick’em so far

This is either my first season ever, or my first season in several years making picks.  Are we "ranking" picks, like it states (1 being most confident, 9 being least), or are we using confidence points, like on ESPN and Yahoo? (9 being most confident, 1 being least).   This league had the least helpful FAQ page I've ever seen.

Archived