Kyle Whittingham

James Franklin

bill O’Brien

Justin Fuente

Pat Fitzgerald

Mike Gundy

Troy Calhoun

Dan Mullen

Seriously, I’ve never heard of some of these guys.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, glduck said:

cristobal appears to have near unanimous support from the team and the vocal recruits on twitter.

Maybe we haven't gone through anything like this, but I've never seen a unanimous backing of a assistant before.  Every recruit.wants MC as the head coach Nd lots of the players.  

indeed. and i know mullens can’t base a long-term decision based on a current crop of players but that’s got to weigh heavily in his favor. i’ve noticed several of the east coast kids taggart brought over (and perhaps the guy it like hurt the most to lose, jordan scott) are vocally all in on cristobal, too.

I think Oregon is better off without Taggert, he was going to be a 9 win coach in our league and while that's not bad, Oregon can do better.  Schematically he's terrible, he would have been exposed in no time in our league. He catches a break in the ACC, because it's a weak league overall, so he will have breaks from week to week, and have better talent than almost everyone other than Clemson. But I'd expect him to be a DB coach at Michigan in about 4 years.

20 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

I think Oregon is better off without Taggert, he was going to be a 9 win coach in our league and while that's not bad, Oregon can do better.  Schematically he's terrible, he would have been exposed in no time in our league. He catches a break in the ACC, because it's a weak league overall, so he will have breaks from week to week, and have better talent than almost everyone other than Clemson. But I'd expect him to be a DB coach at Michigan in about 4 years.

Agreed, particularly with that last part which is why good for him to get out and get mo money while he can. Also why I will miss him.

24 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

I expect he'll win 9 games next year and somehow land a NFL job.  And then in 4 years after that he'll be back with Harbaugh some place.

i know the easy thing to do right now is hate on the guy, but i don't even know how you begin to gauge what kind of coach he'd be in the pac-12 long term. literally all he's ever done as a HC in college is take over a dumpster fire situation, turn the program back to the realm of respectability, and leave. there's literally zero evidence on hand for sustained, or lack thereof, success.

15 hours ago, Downthefield said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the feeling Helton is far from the best USC could have gotten.  Instead, it looks like they took the easy way out rather than to work hard and dig deep.

He's about to lead USC to their second-consecutive big-6 bowl (in his 2nd year), and he has a Rose Bowl win under his belt.

Outside of Tuscaloosa, no one really does better than that on a regular basis, anywhere.

15 hours ago, Scscsc89 said:

Internet search gives these other names:

Brian Kelly

hue Jackson

jon Gruden 

jeff fisher

bob Stoops 

Kyle Whittingham

James Franklin

bill O’Brien

Justin Fuente

Pat Fitzgerald

Mike Gundy

Troy Calhoun

Dan Mullen

Seriously, I’ve never heard of some of these guys.

The only guy I don't know where thry coach now is BOB, but I believe he's in the NFL. Everyone else is your usual suspects. The biggest unknown is probably Calhoun and isn't he Air Force?

19 hours ago, Downthefield said:

I just have to say this.  I think it's great for the Pac-12 when Oregon is racing hot, gaining national attention with the outstanding play on the field, turning heads from Miami to Chicago to Houston.  However, none of these candidates look like the coach who will bring them back to that big-boy level.  I would have thought, with the open wallet, great facilities, and support from the top, Duck leadership would be shooting a lot higher on their job candidates.

I'm not sure where you think Oregon should be aiming. I think we can take Dabo, Nick and Urban off the table, and Petersen and Shaw aren't going anywhere. Who should Oregon be looking at? Belichick? Carroll?

45 minutes ago, Quack 12 said:

I'm not sure where you think Oregon should be aiming. I think we can take Dabo, Nick and Urban off the table, and Petersen and Shaw aren't going anywhere. Who should Oregon be looking at? Belichick? Carroll?

Personally, I would call Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern. Given what he has been able to accomplish with limited resources, he could potentially really grow at Oregon. He might be a lifer at Northwestern though.

we can blame 2014 and 2016 on the woeful swing-and-misses by mark helfrich. i think he thought it was pellum's "turn" when allioti retired, and then he thought he was making a statement by hiring a former HC to be his DC. oh, helf. adorable, really, if it wasn't so painfully sad...

Archived