Is Taggart leaving?

EastCoastFan

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, glduck said:

There's a missing name there that starts with "L".  Over on another board it was mentioned that while Leavitt’s contract won’t allow him to talk to other schools until 12/17, he has all his USF years in the Florida teacher retirement system and needs only a few more to receive a sizable pension for his or his wife's life. 

4 hours ago, KUGRDON said:

I think I read that the amount that he has to pay for leaving goes down by $250,000 on January 21. So it might just be a waiting game

Lets face it, that is FSU's decision.  Coaches are not paying the buyout, the next employer is.  Willie got a raise and his buyout covered. If Willie and FSU want Leavitt (and presuming he does the conventional thing and decides to go), they will make it easy for him.

I for one like the Cristobal hire.  Love?  No. I hope to in the next couple years, but immediate love would have to be a big name known quantity the reality is that we were not prying a known big name quantity like Meyer or Saban or pretty much anyone else even a class or so below that away from their current position.  The program has a long history of promoting assistants (Bellotti, Kelly, helf-who-shall-not-be-named) which has mostly worked out well for us, save the last one.  When we went outside of the program (because, lets face it, not only did Helf suck we were not going to hire any of his assistants to be HC) we got burned not because we picked a bad coach, but because that coach bailed out at the first sign of a better opportunity. That is the modern reality of coaching - long term loyalty is mostly dead.

Cristobal seems committed. That doesn't mean he won't be offered the Miami job next year and go ... but he at least WANTS to be at UofO and in the last 20 or so years, that has worked out mostly well for us. All three of those guys didn't have much of a head coaching record before we signed them (Bellotti for a couple years at Chico St., Kelly's first HC stint, Helf's first head gig too) but given the resources the guys who could coach and recruit did very well and I think Cristobal seems like the kind of guy who can do both and can get quality assistants.

53 minutes ago, RipCityPDX said:

Lets face it, that is FSU's decision.  Coaches are not paying the buyout, the next employer is.  Willie got a raise and his buyout covered. If Willie and FSU want Leavitt (and presuming he does the conventional thing and decides to go), they will make it easy for him.

Oh I know that, I was just commenting on the possible meaning of a delay.

Archived