Is Taggart leaving?

EastCoastFan

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no one knows. everyone has an opinion, but today he met with our top qb recruit on his way to go take a meeting w/ fsu officials. per the recruit, he talked mostly about oregon but he was open that he was on his way to meet fsu. thankfully for us, the recruit also said he's sticking with oregon regardless of whether or not taggart is around.

there's a million different reports out there, but the one that *seems* to have the most traction is that fsu thought they could get taggart on the cheap, given that fsu is his dream job. apparently that is not so, and they'll have to beat oregon's improved extension. that's why, reportedly, we're on day four of this thing and it's not over and done with. 

as for what we'd do if he did leave, the length of this saga has at least afford the UO enough time to come up with some contingency plans. nothing will be best-case scenario, but it is what it is. 

there are few outside hires i think would do really well here. i've said before that i really like jeff brohm. he'd be a tough sell for fans (i can't imagine he moves the needle one iota) but fans would love his offense once they see it. 

So, it appears that if the money is right, Taggart is FSU bound and Oregon is preparing for exactly that scenario.  I'd still put money on Taggart leaving (just my gut feeling) but it's definitely a coin flip in regards to the evidence currently out there.  

3 hours ago, glduck said:

no one knows. everyone has an opinion, but today he met with our top qb recruit on his way to go take a meeting w/ fsu officials. per the recruit, he talked mostly about oregon but he was open that he was on his way to meet fsu. thankfully for us, the recruit also said he's sticking with oregon regardless of whether or not taggart is around.

there's a million different reports out there, but the one that *seems* to have the most traction is that fsu thought they could get taggart on the cheap, given that fsu is his dream job. apparently that is not so, and they'll have to beat oregon's improved extension. that's why, reportedly, we're on day four of this thing and it's not over and done with. 

Thanks GL. What a weird situation. Seeing duck fans turn on Willie to some degree feels like husky fans after Neu interviewed for the 49ers way back when. Not sure that was ever fully repaired.

Do we know what the improved extension is? Has that been reported? 

Hail, this was your comment in the other thread: unlikely that Oregon negotiates against itself and increases its own extension offer without a competing offer from FSU. Is that what Oregon did here? 

Archived