Is Taggart leaving?

EastCoastFan

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/05/oregon-football-seven-names-and-one-lesson-for-the-coaching-vacancy/

Wilner's take on candidates for Oregon job:

Iowa State’s Matt Campbell: No ties to the west coast and a giant buyout, but the Ducks have options for raising the cash and the dude can coach. Holy %#@& can he coach.

Oregon co-OC Mario Cristobal: Former head coach at Florida International, and had two winning seasons in six years there. (Tough job.) Spent four seasons working for the master in Tuscaloosa and has been well received during his year as the co-offensive coordinator in Eugene. But Cristobal, ahem, is from Florida.

Boise State’s Bryan Harsin: The lure of the Blue Turf is strong. His record looks good. He was interviewed by Oregon a year ago. Seems obvious. Too obvious?

Oregon DC Jim Leavitt: Well regarded defensive coordinator, one of the best in the business, in fact. And he was a successful head coach at South Florida. Had some off-the-field issues there that the Ducks would have to be comfortable with.

Texas A&M’s (ex) Kevin Sumlin: Huge name with major recruiting appeal. That he was let go by the Aggies should not dissuade Oregon. Is he ready to jump back in? Would the Ducks be willing to pay his asking price (not can they; would they)? If Mullens wants a head coach with the brand name to compete with Petersen and Shaw and Kelly, then Sumlin should be on the short list.

Fresno State’s Jeff Tedford: Turned in the best coaching coach in the western third of the country, a former Oregon assistant with all kinds of recruiting ties to the Northwest and Southern California. Knows quarterbacks. Key issue: Could the Ducks be sure he’d stick it out for more than four or five years?

Cal’s Justin Wilcox: The work he did this season in Berkeley was phenomenal, and he’s a Duck. Would he bolt Cal after one year? Would the Ducks want a defensive coach with only one year of HC experience? I’ve got Wilcox pegged as the coach who replaces the coach who replaces Taggart.

2 hours ago, All Hail said:

Wait, Wilcox is in the top two!?  I've been told my two different posters on this site that he isn't a legitimate candidate.   What happened? 

zero inside info here but i was one of the people who said wilcox probably wasn’t a candidate. i meant it more because, despite being a native son, oregon has a tradition of adopting an identity built around offense and hiring a defensive-minded coach doesn’t seem to fit the school. personally i like wilcox a lot and i think he’s got a long, successful career in front of him.

honestly if we could retain 2/3 of cristobal, leavitt, and salave'a and bring in wilcox as HC i think that might be as good as oregon is going to make out. dunno if the AD sees it like that tho.

3 hours ago, All Hail said:

Wait, Wilcox is in the top two!?  I've been told my two different posters on this site that he isn't a legitimate candidate.   What happened? 

I don' know who said that, but he will get a call.  Im told hes expresed intrest, and Mullens isnt discounting the fact that he's from UO and wouldn't be looking to jump to another job.  Also hearing Bronco Mendenhall has inquired about the job.  Not sure I'd want him, but apparently he's interested. 

I’d be fine with Sumlin or Wilcox. I do also think Mullins should push for a chunk of the current staff to be retained.  The staff was the best part of Slick Willie. 

Im guessing it ends up either Wilcox or someone we haven’t heard pop up yet. Just my complete uninformed opinion. 

3 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

As for Cristobal, he's a strong recruiter of the Miami area...I would expect him to depart for FSU as well...too much upside with that FSU coaching staff to ignore.

He's already said he won't go to FSU.

Not sure whats worse these post on JL and Mario, or the post during the summer calling for Burmeister to start over Herbert.

I just have to say this.  I think it's great for the Pac-12 when Oregon is racing hot, gaining national attention with the outstanding play on the field, turning heads from Miami to Chicago to Houston.  However, none of these candidates look like the coach who will bring them back to that big-boy level.  I would have thought, with the open wallet, great facilities, and support from the top, Duck leadership would be shooting a lot higher on their job candidates.

Good luck, Florida State!  You got hustled by a con man.  So did UO, and so did I.  

Four team teams now in five years forcSlick Willie.  Three bowls, yet he's only coached in one, which he lost.  

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tdye15dbTroy/status/938486226675367936?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Farticles%2F2747981-willie-taggart-called-liar-by-troy-dye-ripped-by-oregon-players

15 minutes ago, Downthefield said:

I just have to say this.  I think it's great for the Pac-12 when Oregon is racing hot, gaining national attention with the outstanding play on the field, turning heads from Miami to Chicago to Houston.  However, none of these candidates look like the coach who will bring them back to that big-boy level.  I would have thought, with the open wallet, great facilities, and support from the top, Duck leadership would be shooting a lot higher on their job candidates.

in both the 2010 hoops HC search and last year’s football search i believe the AD was humbled over how relatively little respect the oregon job holds nationally. i got the feeling that the AD thought it could go just about anywhere and say Nike! and we’d have a trail of guys throwing resumes at us. that proved to be far from the truth.

1 hour ago, PapaG said:

Good luck, Florida State!  You got hustled by a con man.  So did UO, and so did I.  

Four team teams now in five years forcSlick Willie.  Three bowls, yet he's only coached in one, which he lost.  

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tdye15dbTroy/status/938486226675367936?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Farticles%2F2747981-willie-taggart-called-liar-by-troy-dye-ripped-by-oregon-players

Sucks for the kids but Troy Dye committed to Helfrich, and his brother is only going because Troy has outkicked the coverage on his skillset. How many kids actually committed and enrolled at Oregon when Taggert was coach? 10?

You might want to fact check the rest of your post, naturally.

As I recall, here are the “big names” who were “available” at the time:

- Strong

- Sumlin

- Petersen (apparently said no)

- Herman (This was before Houston’s hot year)

- Del Rio

- chip Kelly (showed no interest at the time, compliance would’ve been a prob)

Not sure any of those left we’re a slam-dunk better than Helton.  If you remember other names, I’d love to hear them.

9 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

As I recall, here are the “big names” who were “available” at the time:

- Strong

- Sumlin

- Petersen (apparently said no)

- Herman (This was before Houston’s hot year)

- Del Rio

- chip Kelly (showed no interest at the time, compliance would’ve been a prob)

Not sure any of those left we’re a slam-dunk better than Helton.  If you remember other names, I’d love to hear them.

You might be mixing years up? Petersen either said no or was considered not a fit (depends on who you ask) prior to Sark hiring. Or is there something else that occurred? Thought Herman was big "candidate" also since his hot year was 2015.

Archived