The Going Early/Pro thread

MrBug708

We may be looking at an all-time low in terms of comparing the Pac 12 next year with the other P5 conferences.  Based on graduation and early defections, UDub has to be the favorite since they return Browning at QB, don't they?  I do think Oregon is set up well to be in the conversation for a NY6 game since the early season schedule is a joke, most of the offensive line and almost all of the defense returns, and Herbert is back off a season he was 4th in FBS in passer efficiency (167.5) except he missed being eligible for the final list because he only played 8 games instead of the 9 needed to be eligible (need to play in 75% of regular season games).  

The funny thing is he has more passing yards and attempts than many of the eligible QBs on the list.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/8

http://www.espn.com/college-football/conferences/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/collegeQuarterbackRating/id/9

Herbert's Passer Efficiency would have been the #9 season all-time in the conference, too, but I do realize he didn't have to face UDub or Wazzu.  It's crazy how under the radar he is for how good he's been, which is probably the biggest indictment of Mark Helfrich I can think of outside of whiffing in spectacular Helfrich fashion on Tua Tagovailo's recruitment.  I do recognize that the LA schools each having an elite NFL prospect at QB sucked a lot of the media air out of the other QBs in the conference, with Khalil Tate being the exception because nobody had game-planned for him so he was just destroying teams over a 5 game stretch before falling back to earth in the Oregon game.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/pac-12/leaders/pass-rating-player-season.html

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, PapaG said:

We may be looking at an all-time low in terms of comparing the Pac 12 next year with the other P5 conferences.  Based on graduation and early defections, UDub has to be the favorite since they return Browning at QB, don't they?  I do think Oregon is set up well to be in the conversation for a NY6 game since the early season schedule is a joke, most of the offensive line and almost all of the defense returns, and Herbert is back off a season he was 4th in FBS in passer efficiency (167.5) except he missed being eligible for the final list because he only played 8 games instead of the 9 needed to be eligible (need to play in 75% of regular season games).  

The funny thing is he has more passing yards and attempts than many of the eligible QBs on the list.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/8

http://www.espn.com/college-football/conferences/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/collegeQuarterbackRating/id/9

Herbert's Passer Efficiency would have been the #9 season all-time in the conference, too, but I do realize he didn't have to face UDub or Wazzu.  It's crazy how under the radar he is for how good he's been, which is probably the biggest indictment of Mark Helfrich I can think of outside of whiffing in spectacular Helfrich fashion on Tua Tagovailo's recruitment.  I do recognize that the LA schools each having an elite NFL prospect at QB sucked a lot of the media air out of the other QBs in the conference, with Khalil Tate being the exception because nobody had game-planned for him so he was just destroying teams over a 5 game stretch before falling back to earth in the Oregon game.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/pac-12/leaders/pass-rating-player-season.html

I do like Herbert, liked him as a freshman. While you do mention WSU and UW you kind of gloss over the fact he missed playing against the top 5 PAC12 pass defenses this year.

All five missed playing Herbert and Oregon with him at QB too though, who averaged 50 ppg in the regular season.  Those Top 5 teams (UDub/Wazzu/UCLA/Utah/Stanford) got to pad their stats playing pass defense against Braxton Burmeister, who passed for a grand total of 330 yards in 6 games (320 yards in 5 starts) and had 2 TDs and 6 INTs in those 5 starts.  That's basically like being allowed to add the bye week to your passing defense stats while throwing in an interception.

Passing efficiency has a different Top 6 than passing yards, and Herbert did play against 3 out of those 6 teams.

http://pac-12.com/content/football-statistics

Tomayto/tomahto?  I don't think one can discard how historically bad the UO passing game was in Burmeister's 5 starts.

2 hours ago, PapaG said:

All five missed playing Herbert and Oregon with him at QB too though, who averaged 50 ppg in the regular season.  Those Top 5 teams (UDub/Wazzu/UCLA/Utah/Stanford) got to pad their stats playing pass defense against Braxton Burmeister, who passed for a grand total of 330 yards in 6 games (320 yards in 5 starts) and had 2 TDs and 6 INTs in those 5 starts.  That's basically like being allowed to add the bye week to your passing defense stats while throwing in an interception.

Passing efficiency has a different Top 6 than passing yards, and Herbert did play against 3 out of those 6 teams.

http://pac-12.com/content/football-statistics

Tomayto/tomahto?  I don't think one can discard how historically bad the UO passing game was in Burmeister's 5 starts.

Yes, passing efficiency is different than defensive passing yards but also measures the offense which he would not be throwing against. Pass defense efficiency is even more different than passing efficiency and he did not play against the top 7 pass defense efficiency teams (2 of them not on schedule to be fair which is why I didn't include them in my Top 5 statement earlier). Like I said, I like Herbert. Is he good? I think so. Is he great? Inconclusive.

5 minutes ago, trickydlck said:

Yes, passing efficiency is different than defensive passing yards but also measures the offense which he would not be throwing against. Pass defense efficiency is even more different than passing efficiency and he did not play against the top 7 pass defense efficiency teams (2 of them not on schedule to be fair which is why I didn't include them in my Top 5 statement earlier). Like I said, I like Herbert. Is he good? I think so. Is he great? Inconclusive.

You're correct.  I read the wrong numbers.  Duh.  As I said though, and I'm not saying Herbert is "great," but those teams also basically got a bye week playing Oregon with Burmeister, which skews the stats, too.  

Herbert's freshman season, on a bad Duck team, he still had a Pass Efficiency rating of 149, which was good for 3rd in the conference behind Browning and Darnold.  Point being the while UDub is the obvious favorite for me to in the Pac next year, UO may actually be a sleeper if Cristobal can coach at all.  Leavitt somehow managed to take a terrible Duck defense with almost no NFL talent, added freshmen at a bunch of spots last year, and ended up 4th overall in Total Defense for the Pac 12, which for UDub fans may not seem like much, but is pretty much miraculous from a UO fan's perspective.  After about Week 4 last year I realized I didn't have to wince and brace myself for disappointment every time the defense took the field.  I hadn't had that feeling since about 5 years ago when Alioti had some NFL talent on all three levels of defense.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:37 AM, PapaG said:

You're correct.  I read the wrong numbers.  Duh.  As I said though, and I'm not saying Herbert is "great," but those teams also basically got a bye week playing Oregon with Burmeister, which skews the stats, too.  

Herbert's freshman season, on a bad Duck team, he still had a Pass Efficiency rating of 149, which was good for 3rd in the conference behind Browning and Darnold.  Point being the while UDub is the obvious favorite for me to in the Pac next year, UO may actually be a sleeper if Cristobal can coach at all.  Leavitt somehow managed to take a terrible Duck defense with almost no NFL talent, added freshmen at a bunch of spots last year, and ended up 4th overall in Total Defense for the Pac 12, which for UDub fans may not seem like much, but is pretty much miraculous from a UO fan's perspective.  After about Week 4 last year I realized I didn't have to wince and brace myself for disappointment every time the defense took the field.  I hadn't had that feeling since about 5 years ago when Alioti had some NFL talent on all three levels of defense.

Ok, I guess with the multiple references to where he landed in national and all time pass efficiency it seemed that you were arguing  how great he was despite having not have played the top defense this year.

I agree those teams that have returning QB's have an advantage this (pretty much every?) year.

On 1/21/2018 at 7:22 PM, glduck said:

i’ll miss him throwing the ball like joe montana against oregon and like tim tebow against everybody else.

No kidding, in both 2016 and 2017. I joked with a friend that Chryst's biggest problem is that he doesn't get to play Oregon every week. His legacy at Stanford will likely go down as a lame duck quarterback who looked anything but lame against the Ducks. Little known fact that tends to get forgotten- his record as Stanford's starting quarterback is 11-2. An extremely deceptive 11-2, however. He gets credit for wins over North Carolina (2016) and UCLA (2017) despite only playing for one quarter of both those games (left with injury). And he also gets credit for wins against Arizona (2016) and Oregon State (2016 & 2017) despite doing everything in his power to single-handedly lose them. 

Archived