week three: if this conference had honor, it would commit seppuku

glduck

1/10

usc 70, colorado 58 -- i do not recognize wednesday night pac-12 games. i do not regret failing to make a thread in time for this.

1/11

oregon state (10-5) @ arizona (12-4)

stanford (8-8) @ washington state (8-7)

oregon (11-5) @ arizona state (13-2)

utah (10-5) @ ucla (12-4)

california (7-9) @ washington (12-4)

1/13

oregon @ arizona

california @ washington state

oregon state @ arizona state

stanford @ washington

colorado @ ucla

1/14

utah @ usc

both oregon schools will be officially dead after this weekend. utah needs to pull out a road win or i think their tournament chances are slim. huskies need to hold serve at home, which they should. ucla just needs to win at home. same with usc. 

10 hours ago, glduck said:

oregon beats asu in tempe, and i no longer have any idea what this team can or cannot do.

Other than Arizona, is there an NCAA tournament team in the Pac 12 with the potential to be better than an 8-9 seed, at best?  UCLA, maybe?

4 hours ago, Orange said:

This isn't college football; ASU still has this potential.

How?  They have lost to three teams already not likely to make the tournament, including a poorly-coached (according to Bug) Oregon team in Tempe, and Kansas is garbage this year.  Arizona right now is the highest Pac team in RPI at #24, which is a 6-7 seed.   They will go higher because they are good.  ASU is right behind them at #25.  They will sink because they aren't very good.

How the fuck was ASU ranked #4?  Even UDub beat Kansas, and Xavier lost to Providence.  Although at a Duck, I do hope the Devils win out from now on other than the return trip to Eugene.  It won't happen because ASU is average at best, but that's best case for the Ducks.

24 23 Arizona Pac-12 13-4 3-1 1-3 9-0 0-0
25 14 Arizona St. Pac-12 13-3 2-2 3-0 8-1 0-0
36 42 UCLA Pac-12 13-4 1-2 3-1 9-1 0-0
41 43 Washington Pac-12 13-4 3-1 0-2 10-1 0-0
54 52 Southern California Pac-12 12-6 2-2 3-1 7-3 0-0
60 60 Utah Pac-12 10-6 2-3 2-1 6-2 0-0
73 74 Colorado Pac-12 10-7 0-5 3-1 7-1 0-0
77 111 Oregon Pac-12 12-5 2-1 1-2 9-2 0-0
125 153 Stanford Pac-12 9-8 1-1 0-4 8-3 0-0
151 161 California Pac-12 7-10 3-1 0-2 4-6 0-1
155 133 Washington St. Pac-12 8-8 0-4 3-0 5-4 0-0
180 193 Oregon St. Pac-12 10-6 0-2 1-2 9-2 0-0

one key distinction is that kansas is not garbage, they're #7 in the rpi. and while the big 12 has some heavyweights, they're still probably the favorites to win the big 12. at worst, they're going to end up a 2 or 3 seed. i would call kansas' poor week -- losing to asu and washington -- akin to oregon looking like hot garbage in maui last year. it happens, teams bounce back.

whether or not either arizona climbs up to respectable seeds remains to be seen. asu's biggest problem is that it can't play itself, so arizona's trip to tempe is really the only major win the devils can get remaining on their schedule. the pac-12's mediocrity won't allow for many teams to ascend up the computer rankings this year. 

After the Arizona schools, the most likely team to make a run is Oregon and I don’t think it’s close.  Altman is a good coach swimming in a sea of mediocre teams.  I would honestly be surprised if Oregon didn’t make a run considering what this conference is right now. 

22 hours ago, glduck said:

one key distinction is that kansas is not garbage, they're #7 in the rpi. and while the big 12 has some heavyweights, they're still probably the favorites to win the big 12. at worst, they're going to end up a 2 or 3 seed. i would call kansas' poor week -- losing to asu and washington -- akin to oregon looking like hot garbage in maui last year. it happens, teams bounce back.

whether or not either arizona climbs up to respectable seeds remains to be seen. asu's biggest problem is that it can't play itself, so arizona's trip to tempe is really the only major win the devils can get remaining on their schedule. the pac-12's mediocrity won't allow for many teams to ascend up the computer rankings this year. 

Kansas was lucky to get by a mediocre K-State today.  That last K-State possession down one point was just awful, too.

1 hour ago, trickydlck said:

Used to not mind him too much but Walton is getting tougher to listen to.

he just compared sean miller throwing a temper tantrum over a blown call to martin luther king jr making “positive change through demonstration.”

i don’t mind walton, but that was a bit much.

Ducks put up a fight but lose to a better team in Arizona.  It's hard beating any team that goes 34-37 from the FT line, let alone on the road in one of the toughest places to play in the country.

The game in Eugene will be fun to watch.  Dana seems to be figuring out how to get this offense going, and since he's just an average coach, that's saying a lot.

i was impressed with how well we battled considered our frontline goes 6’6 and 6’8, and arizona starts a pair of 7 footers. nothing about this matchup favored oregon, but it came down to the home team making the better plays late, as one would expect.

put up or shut up time now. 5 of the next 7 at home, the road trip being a pair of beatable nor cal teams. 

12 minutes ago, glduck said:

i was impressed with how well we battled considered our frontline goes 6’6 and 6’8, and arizona starts a pair of 7 footers. nothing about this matchup favored oregon, but it came down to the home team making the better plays late, as one would expect.

put up or shut up time now. 5 of the next 7 at home, the road trip being a pair of beatable nor cal teams. 

6 out of 7 as wins needs to happen for the NCAAs, IMO.  I don't think this team has the defense to do it, though.  

ETA - why doesn't Miller use Ayton more on offense?   They guy is a match-up nightmare.

Archived