It doesn’t fit anywhere else, so put it here

KUGRDON

On 7/23/2021 at 10:44 AM, Mano said:

The only duo's of teams that make some sense for the Pac would be Kansas/KState and/or TCU/TTech. Iowa St. would be a good fit academically and culturally, but I see them wanting to join the Hawkeyes in the B1G.

I would strongly prefer that the Pac stay pat, as I am sure if they expand to 16 the original Pac8 members would want to be one division, and all the newcomers in the other which is not what Utah signed up for ( I understand this is a purely selfish view ).

A slightly post knee jerk reaction, to me, seems the best combo may be TT, OkSt and then Houston and TCU to get a direct presence in the two major markets in Texas. 

More pressing*, however, is making sure major Pac programs don’t start feeling out the B1G. I could easily see the B1G taking USC and UCLA (or whatever else they want) to keep up with the SEC. 

*Unless Oregon is a part of the cool kids club going to the B1G. If that’s the case, ✌️ 

On 7/23/2021 at 11:44 AM, duckfandan said:

More pressing*, however, is making sure major Pac programs don’t start feeling out the B1G. I could easily see the B1G taking USC and UCLA (or whatever else they want) to keep up with the SEC. 

It's already happening.  

There’s no way adding Stillwater & Lubbock add money to the shared pie.

although we could ship 2 teams to them, go back to a perfect 10-team round-robin schedule and meet their champion in a “conference championship game”

that would be 1000x more interesting than any CCG the Pac12 has put on

• Like 1

If we can agree that Texas and Okie only furthers the divide between the SEC and everybody else, I wonder if a continuation of conference realignment is good for *anybody*. Putting aside the Pac-12’s geography problem, does snatching up the remnants of the Big 12 help the B1G? Would adding West Virginia help the ACC?

If we are going to concede an SEC vs everybody else mentality, would affiliation agreements between, say, the B1G and the Pac-12 make more sense? Are we able to negotiate from a stronger position as a larger group rather than two smaller groups who are even less fractionally relevant? We’d still be able to retain regional autonomy, but christ I don’t even know if we can legitimately continue to call it a “Power 4.” That’s a lie, there’s the SEC and then there’s everybody else. 

Do not undersell OU's ability to adapt to a new conference...they will find a way to pull it off in the SEC.  Can't say the same thing about Texas although they will win their battles.  But being the heel of the conference does have its advantages and Texas could really reap those advantages.  Plus Missouri & aTm had good success against the SEC in their early years as SEC members and they were a step below OU & UT.

Can see it now

On 7/23/2021 at 7:44 PM, Jalapeno said:

Do not undersell OU's ability to adapt to a new conference...they will find a way to pull it off in the SEC.  Can't say the same thing about Texas although they will win their battles.  But being the heel of the conference does have its advantages and Texas could really reap those advantages.  Plus Missouri & aTm had good success against the SEC in their early years as SEC members and they were a step below OU & UT.

They already know how to cheat like an SEC program so they could hit the ground running in there plus they already own Texas so all they have to do is beat LSU and that puts them in Atlanta more years than not.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 6:52 AM, clpp01 said:

Can see it now

They already know how to cheat like an SEC program so they could hit the ground running in there plus they already own Texas so all they have to do is beat LSU and that puts them in Atlanta more years than not.

I don’t know, even with 5 downs Colorado hasn’t adapted to the PAC.

OK, just hear me out here. There are 128 teams in division 1 football. Let's make it 64 in 1A and 64 in 1B. 8 conferences (4 in 1A and 4 in 1B) with 16 teams each. Each has their own championship. Conference final for qtrs then conference champs to the semi finals. Here's the kicker. Each 1A conference has a 1B partner and utilize a 2 team re-classification. Top two teams from 1B move up to 1A the following season and the 2 bottom teams from 1A move down the following season.

On 7/24/2021 at 4:51 PM, azgreg said:

OK, just hear me out here. There are 128 teams in division 1 football. Let's make it 64 in 1A and 64 in 1B. 8 conferences (4 in 1A and 4 in 1B) with 16 teams each. Each has their own championship. Conference final for qtrs then conference champs to the semi finals. Here's the kicker. Each 1A conference has a 1B partner and utilize a 2 team re-classification. Top two teams from 1B move up to 1A the following season and the 2 bottom teams from 1A move down the following season.

I think we are heading that way already and I have been noticing this with CU's matchups with MWC teams since the Buffs switched conferences.  I think it has been awhile since a MWC team beat Utah since the Utes joined the PAC.

Without basketball, I'm guessing UA would have an instate rivalry with NAU. 😎

Was biking in Spokane today on the Centennial Trail.  At one point it crosses Gonzaga campus. We saw Mark Few walking his Golden Retriever just a little before 7am.  Just exchanged nods then he saw my “Old Guys Rule” T with a Chevy And he gave me a thumbs up.  Some shots from the ride.  The trail runs from Riverfront Park in Downtown Spokane (the site of Expo ‘74) about 40 miles east to Idaho.

Hope the vids work, some beautiful River scenes despite bad videography.  Spectacular trip, on the way home was asking the boys what their favorite part was and two actually said Trader Joe’s. We saw one by coincidence and stopped because we don’t have one where we live. The boys have been seeing it on Tik Tok and had to by about $150 worth of snacks.

FED060EC-FFAB-4233-AEE0-FE8FF1886E96.jpeg

6600551E-512A-49A2-9260-0B4089F964DC.jpeg

E29B3EFC-9D8C-417D-8B18-4ECD889532A3.jpeg

99007D11-0F0C-4B25-B276-FDB78548B67D.jpeg

4E497176-D12D-4B63-94EC-9B6116ABE84B.jpeg