Sign in to follow this  
Jalapeno

Phone Thread

I currently have an iPhone 6 Plus and I'm making the next to last AT&T Next payment on that thing so I will soon be able to get a new phone.  Apple really messed up badly with the battery slowdown issues and I have to wait 2-4 weeks for the battery replacement to come in.  I'm still doing this despite knowing in the back of my head that I will be getting the wife and myself a new phone anyway (both iPhone 6 Plus phones will become iPod touches to a degree).  Wife will be sticking with Apple for sure but I'm seriously thinking about making the switch to Android and right now the Samsung Galaxy S8 Active phone is on top of the list due to its ruggedness and bigger battery (4,000 mah) even compared to the S8, S8 Plus, and even Galaxy Note 8.  Might not need a case for that 8 Active as well and that battery again...what was Apple saying about those batteries again?

The next iPhones will be just like the iPhone X based on all those rumors from reliable sources.  The "notch" will be smaller with those 2019 iPhones tho.  That's why I'm willing to go with the Galaxy S8 Active and then reevaluate when those X iPhones get ironed out.

And a good article on 5G: http://www.applegazette.com/iphone/when-apple-release-5g-iphone/  

I have an S6 active, and have been happy with it, but I don't have a bunch of devices in the Apple ecosystem. 

Although I am tech savvy, I no longer feel the need to run out and get the latest thing unless there is a compelling reason to do so, and right now my phone is fine for me. Is there something the newer phones do that your current model cannot?

All new phones pretty much do the same shit.  It basically comes down to what interface you prefer, Apple or Android.  

I have an Iphone Ten and I love how they killed the home button.  Unfortunately, most consumers do not agree with me, which is why the Iphone Ten sales have been so terrible.  

I have an S6, and right before my contract was up, it went swimming with me accidently (First time in 12 years I've messed up a phone like that). I thought about just upgrading it and paying the last 2 months off early, but it was better to just pay the $100 dollars insurance and get a brand new phone without paying a grand for it or a payment plan.

Speaking of payment plan, Screw T-Mobile and their no contracts. I used to be able to get a free (or like 100) phone with a two year contract and it usually was the latest and greatest phone. I pay my bills on time, so a contract didn't bother me since I dont jump around companies. So now, because they "eliminated" contracts, phones aren't free and you now do a payment plan that costs you money and still locks you in for two years.

I just got the iphone8+.  The biggest benefit to these new phones for me is the camera.  The new portrait setting on the 8 is awesome, and the slow mo videos seem clearer.  I love the clarity better than the old iphones.  I probably have a dozen canvasses in my house that are exclusively photos I took of my son, my dog, and the mountains, etc., with my iphone.  My only regret is that I didn't wait til I had an 8 to create some of the photos (but that's kind of impossible since my son doesn't wait to grow up).

Used to be under T-Mobile due to those old Sidekicks which were great for Deaf people.  Then AT&T had a Deaf plan for $50 per month (was $60-65 before the plan change to Unlimited Choice which brought my phone bill down to $115 before you include the monthly payments for both iPhones) at the time of the iPhone 3G and have had the 4, 5C, and now 6 Plus.  I'm ready for something different and once there is a new iPhone with 5G connectivity in like two to three years, I'll be ready for a new iPhone.

@Mano did you ever need a phone cover for that S6 Active?

Thanks @MrBug708 for sharing that information about T-Mobile...glad I dropped them for AT&T for the iPhone when they were the sole iPhone carrier at the time.

@All Hail Does the "notch" become less of a hindrance as you get used to the X?

On 1/30/2018 at 9:02 AM, Orange said:

I just got the iphone8+.  The biggest benefit to these new phones for me is the camera.  The new portrait setting on the 8 is awesome, and the slow mo videos seem clearer.  I love the clarity better than the old iphones.  I probably have a dozen canvasses in my house that are exclusively photos I took of my son, my dog, and the mountains, etc., with my iphone.  My only regret is that I didn't wait til I had an 8 to create some of the photos (but that's kind of impossible since my son doesn't wait to grow up).

I have had my iphone 8 for about 3 months, and have concluded that the battery has way less life than the battery in my iphone 7. Anyone else have this experience?

Since I had to buy 4 phones for the family we went with the LG Aristo. All 4 cost just under $400. We are also with Metro PCS. 4 lines unlimited talk, text, and data for $100.

10 hours ago, azgreg said:

Since I had to buy 4 phones for the family we went with the LG Aristo. All 4 cost just under $400. We are also with Metro PCS. 4 lines unlimited talk, text, and data for $100.

How would Metro PCS compare with other phone companies?

@Mano did you ever need a phone cover for that S6 Active?

I have had a Blason case since I bought the phone. You can probably get away without, they are supposed to be more durable with the gorilla glass and all, but I am pretty hard on my phones, and often cram into pants pocket along with keys and such, as well as my 10 year old son often playing on it, so I go the better safe than sorry route.

On 2/1/2018 at 3:54 PM, Jalapeno said:

How would Metro PCS compare with other phone companies?

We've been with them for 3 years and they've been great. They're on the T Mobile network and service has been very good. I like them better than AT&T and Sprint.

I’m thinking of taking this AT&T offer where you buy one iphone8 and they give you a second one for “free” if you add a new line.   My wife is tired of sprint.

25 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

I’m thinking of taking this AT&T offer where you buy one iphone8 and they give you a second one for “free” if you add a new line.   My wife is tired of sprint.

Do it.  I've had AT&T for more than 15 years now and I have had very limited problems.  There are virtually no dead zones for service, no dropped calls anymore (used to be an issue with them) and their 4G works faster than any WI-FI spot I have ever connected to.  If you're into DirectTV, you can save a good amount of money bundling your phone, your TV, and your internet with AT&T.  DirectTV is the only provider that allows you to watch 4k channels on a 4k TV.  I must say, watching sports in 4k is pretty damn amazing.  4X the resolution of HD.  Watching Blue Planet 2 (your kids will be blown away) on 4k is also incredible if you're into nature documentaries. 

AT&T customer since 2009 or 2010 and haven't had any problems.  My experiences with the AT&T network in Denver might be significantly different than the Bay Area tho.  Denver's wireless infrastructure has been severely strained at times due to faster than expected growth at points last year & 2016.

Recently my ATT account was hacked, the pin changed, and someone signed me up for DirectTV even though I didn't want it.  I tried to get all of this undone, and it was a fucking nightmare.  Half the people I spoke with barely spoke English, I was bounced to about 6 different operators and had to tell my story 6 different times, and also explain why I didn't know my pin 6 different times (and go through some tedious process of receiving a code via text and reading it back to them after giving my biographical info).  All this was a week after I got a new phone for the first time in over two years, which makes me wonder if that's not a coincidence.

Fuck AT&T.  Wish I could break the contract right now.

@Orange, I agree AT&T's phone security sucks as well due to those hacker jackoffs but other than that, I have had no problems.  I'm just glad I don't have to lose some $ due to the old Deaf data plan charging 40 cents per minute (maybe per call received?) with my unlimited plan.

I'm currently with sprint, and somehow i got a deal from my car insurance company for 1/2 off any samsung phone, so i made the switch from the iphone.  Have the S8, and its cool but there is stuff i dont like about it, like I have the text feature that makes it hard to find a contact that you haven't texted in a long time.

But over all it's a good phone for me, but I don't really take pictures or play games.

Saw the Moto Z2 Force at a new AT&T store and it was love at first sight.  Challenge for me will be waiting about two more weeks before I get a new phone.  My iPhone 6+ performance really is going downhill and it takes forever for even text messages and stuff like that to show up.  Apple store says wait about two more weeks for the battery replacement...oh boy!