2019 MLB

KUGRDON

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

PITCHERS AND CATCHERS HAVE REPORTED, I REPEAT PITCHERS AND CATCHERS HAVE REPORTED.

A brief rundown on the offseason for everyone's favorite sad sack franchise:

Out: Our GM blew it up after winning 89 games but failing once more to make the postseason. Robinson Cano and Edwin Diaz were traded to the Mets. Nelson Cruz's contract was up, and he signed with the Twins. James Paxton, our best starter, was traded to the Yankees. Jean Segura was traded to the Phillies. Mike Zunino was traded to the Rays.

Enter: Several prospects that flipped Seattle's farm system from baseball's worst to... well it's still not deep but the Top 10 is up there with just about anybody's now. So stay tuned in, uh, 2021. Yusei Kikuchi, a lefty import from Japan, joins the rotation. Omar Navarez was acquired from the White Sox to take over the catching duties. Nobody else really matters -- we had to bring in some aging vets like Jay Bruce and Edwin Encarnacion to make some of the deals work, but neither is guaranteed to be on the opening day roster and if they are there's almost no chance they're on the club by the trade deadline. 

What's Left: Kyle Seager, Mitch Haniger, Ryon Healy, Dee Gordon, a below average rotation, and a bullpen that isn't worth learning anybody's name. I think they wanted to try to move Haniger, but the market settled after an initial flurry of trades and has seemed to be in a holding pattern waiting on the big FA dominoes to fall. It's weird that Bryce Harper and Manny Machado are still unsigned, right? Haniger is good and not very expensive and only 28 and fits in with the youth movement so if he's never dealt that's fine by me.

Prospectus: We're gonna suck beans. The offense was trash for several years, then it got good but the pitching went to shit. Now we'll be mediocre/bad in both. 

My Thoughts: Losing Diaz stings because he's so damn good and he won't be closing games for us anymore. But as the saying goes, shit baseball clubs don't need elite closers. I think that's the saying, anyway. Cano's PED suspension last year hit hard, because he's fun to watch and he was well on his way to becoming a Top 10 All-Time Mariner (not a hard list to break into, btw). But that suspension soured him on a lot of folks, and now I'm just thankful we could dump the remaining 5 years/$100 mil on his contract. Suck it, Mets. Letting Cruz walk in FA made all the sense in the world b/c bad/young teams don't need 39 year old DH's, but he'll be missed for sentimental reasons. James Paxton was crazy inconsistent but he'll always have that no-hitter. 

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Manny Machado signing with San Diego:

An Alex Rodriguez to Texas/Robinson Cano to Seattle move, clearly, but good for the Padres, I guess. I know what it's like to have absolutely nothing to look forward to with a club except for one or two individual players. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, glduck said:

anyone know our magic number

The list of teams without a World Series title 
  • Colorado Rockies. ...
  • Milwaukee Brewers. ...
  • Seattle Mariners. ...
  • San Diego Padres. ...
  • Tampa Bay Rays. ...
  • Texas Rangers. ...
  • Washington Nationals.

Archived