Pac-12 Hoops

glduck

Kris WIlkes is going pro. He might be one of my least favorite players at UCLA, but I dont think I cared enough about the program the past two years to really miss him or hate him. In the final game, he tuned out Bartow and he just got fed up with Kris and told him, just do what you want then.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Washington State Cougars athletics director Pat Chun made his weekly radio show appearance on “Cougs in 60,” and when asked about the decision to fire men’s basketball coach Ernie Kent, Chun offered a level of candor that can really only be interpreted as a fairly scathing indictment of the Cougars’ previous coach.

“The reality is that our program has been eroding,” Chun said. “This dates back to before Ernie got here, but I know under Ernie we’re averaging 11.5 wins overall and 4.5 wins in the conference. And transfers are a part of Division I men’s basketball, and the volatility of that marketplace does affect us — almost 60 percent of our recruits have transferred. ...

“The reality is that if we kept status quo, based on the numbers, we would probably be around 11 wins next year and around 4 in conference play and 60 percent of our recruits would have ended up transferring. And looking down the pike in recruiting, you have to wonder where the next CJ (Elleby) or the next Robo (Robert Franks) is coming from.”

One thing Chun lamented was that the Cougars couldn’t win more with a superlative talent such as Franks, and he clearly laid the failure to win more games at the feet of Kent, pushing back against the notion that there is a talent deficit on the team.

12 minutes ago, KUGRDON said:

Washington State Cougars athletics director Pat Chun made his weekly radio show appearance on “Cougs in 60,” and when asked about the decision to fire men’s basketball coach Ernie Kent, Chun offered a level of candor that can really only be interpreted as a fairly scathing indictment of the Cougars’ previous coach.

“The reality is that our program has been eroding,” Chun said. “This dates back to before Ernie got here, but I know under Ernie we’re averaging 11.5 wins overall and 4.5 wins in the conference. And transfers are a part of Division I men’s basketball, and the volatility of that marketplace does affect us — almost 60 percent of our recruits have transferred. ...

“The reality is that if we kept status quo, based on the numbers, we would probably be around 11 wins next year and around 4 in conference play and 60 percent of our recruits would have ended up transferring. And looking down the pike in recruiting, you have to wonder where the next CJ (Elleby) or the next Robo (Robert Franks) is coming from.”

One thing Chun lamented was that the Cougars couldn’t win more with a superlative talent such as Franks, and he clearly laid the failure to win more games at the feet of Kent, pushing back against the notion that there is a talent deficit on the team.

Travis DeCuire of Montana as next Cougar coach?

On 2/8/2019 at 8:56 AM, row Z said:

Starting to see some internet comments about Mike Hopkins being the number 1 target for schools looking for a new coach this off season. UW is going to need to give him a raise if they want to hang on to him. 

Question for the board: at this point, if the money was even, would Hopkins take an offer from Syracuse over staying at UW? 

Hopkins signs a new 6 year deal.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/college/pac-12/university-of-washington/article228226364.html

38 minutes ago, win2bfree said:

"The details of the new deal have not been released."  Hmmm.  Wonder whether there's a one-school exception to the buy-out clause specially set in for 'Cuse...  It wouldn't be the first time a contract read like that.

3 hours ago, Downthefield said:

"The details of the new deal have not been released."  Hmmm.  Wonder whether there's a one-school exception to the buy-out clause specially set in for 'Cuse...  It wouldn't be the first time a contract read like that.

This makes me so anxious.

22 hours ago, Downthefield said:

buyout details ... the numbers don't seem so large as to preclude Syracuse from prying him away.

38 minutes ago, row Z said:

buyout details ... the numbers don't seem so large as to preclude Syracuse from prying him away.

'Cuse averages $30 million in revenue from basketball annually, with about $15 million of that in profit.  It's the athletic department's cash cow.  When the time comes for JB to leave, they'll pay whatever is needed to continue being a winner and get who they want.  The Huskie buyout, if they go that direction, won't even be a speedbump.

2 hours ago, Downthefield said:

'Cuse averages $30 million in revenue from basketball annually, with about $15 million of that in profit.  It's the athletic department's cash cow.  When the time comes for JB to leave, they'll pay whatever is needed to continue being a winner and get who they want.  The Huskie buyout, if they go that direction, won't even be a speedbump.

That sounds right. 

By the way, Hopkins' new salary will be $2.5M next year, then $2.8M the following year, with other escalators. So, based on the salaries posted by Mano above, Hopkins would be slotted just ahead of Hurley and behind Altman, Miller and Alford. That seems about right to me. UW did not overpay, which indicates another excellent job by AD Jen Cohen.

40 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

Kidd? That can't be ideal. Howland should go.

Magic wants Kidd for the Lakers.  At this point, ideal is anyone but Wyking Jones.  I think Kidd would be fine and would put together a good staff.  I would prefer Turner though. 

3 hours ago, KUGRDON said:

Apparently Leon Rice turned down the job for the second time and DeCuire turned it down as well.  Should say those are the rumors.

DeCuire is waiting for Cal and Cal is waiting for Kidd.  I think Kyle Smith is a fantastic fit for WSU.  He got a program that hadn’t been competitive in a lonnng time to finish 3rd in that conference.  Horrible talent disadvantage compared to most of the WCC teams.  This is a low cost high upside hire for sure.  

Archived