Pac-12 Hoops

glduck

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Paulo Popalabombo said:

A Kidd hire would have a terrible sizzle-to-steak ratio, DeCuire just the opposite.

Kidd was solid in NJ and decent in Milwaukee.  That’s good enough to accept the inevitable recruiting boast that would come with it.  Kidd is an absolute Bay Area legend and Bay Area recruits would no longer leave the area.  Most importantly, he would put a serious charge into what’s turned into a lifeless Cal basketball program.  Case and point, who do you think would have better odds of getting a long overdue practice facility built? Exciting the donors and fans is exactly the stepping stone Cal needs at worst and at best he can be the next Todd Bozeman/Mike Montgomery.  

Decuire wouldn’t be bad, but he would take time to build the program and might fail in the process.  The ceiling seems low with him and I would rather opt for the more fiery Turner.  Either way, we are getting an absolutely massive upgrade over Wyking.

15 hours ago, All Hail said:

DeCuire is waiting for Cal and Cal is waiting for Kidd.  I think Kyle Smith is a fantastic fit for WSU.  He got a program that hadn’t been competitive in a lonnng time to finish 3rd in that conference.  Horrible talent disadvantage compared to most of the WCC teams.  This is a low cost high upside hire for sure.  

Heard he’s into the “moneyball” algorithms   of a sort, calls it Nerdball.  Don’t know any of the particulars.

looks like the Rice and DeCuire offers were just rumor and werent passed on by paid media all of which said the rumors were false.  It feels better to believe Chun got his #1 whether or not true.

10 hours ago, KUGRDON said:

Heard he’s into the “moneyball” algorithms   of a sort, calls it Nerdball.  Don’t know any of the particulars.

looks like the Rice and DeCuire offers were just rumor and werent passed on by paid media all of which said the rumors were false.  It feels better to believe Chun got his #1 whether or not true.

Could just as easily be WSU leaking that they never offered to save face.  Either way, Decuire is waiting for Cal and Cal is waiting for other options.  The more I think about it, the more Decuire seems like a solid option.

Mark Fox, 77 wins, 79 losses in the SEC, just two NCAA appearances in seven years, both times knocked out of their first game.  Is this the answer? 

Jim Knowlton said "We had an exceptional pool of candidates, and through the entire process, one person clearly rose to the top."  Wonder what the "pool" was.  From a distance, he looks more like a Kia in a field of BMers and Benzes.

Not excited about Mark Fox.  If he couldn’t win at Georgia with superior resources, far more lax admissions standards, and much better recruiting grounds, why would he be able to win at Cal? 

At least Cal Basketball will be watchable but I’m expecting middle of the conference performances at best. 

13 hours ago, Downthefield said:

Mark Fox, 77 wins, 79 losses in the SEC, just two NCAA appearances in seven years, both times knocked out of their first game.  Is this the answer? 

Jim Knowlton said "We had an exceptional pool of candidates, and through the entire process, one person clearly rose to the top."  Wonder what the "pool" was.  From a distance, he looks more like a Kia in a field of BMers and Benzes.

We have BMers and Benzes in this conference? Lol.  If anything, his mediocre track record fits right in.  There is Altman and then there’s everyone else.

Kidd would have qualified as a bmer or benz. That was the only candidate that would have moved the needle nationally. Mark Fox doesn't scare anyone.

Is there any news on the UCLA hire?  It has been quiet for a while now. Maybe Tony Bennett is the target? Luke Walton?  UCLA should be able to land a bmer or benz  ...

5 minutes ago, row Z said:

Kidd would have qualified as a bmer or benz. That was the only candidate that would have moved the needle nationally. Mark Fox doesn't scare anyone.

Is there any news on the UCLA hire?  It has been quiet for a while now. Maybe Tony Bennett is the target? Luke Walton?  UCLA should be able to land a bmer or benz  ...

You are right, Kidd would have been an E63 or M5.  Altman maybe is an Audi S6, but he's often in the shop, while K is a trustworthy Camry that always starts but doesn't win the race.  Hopkins is still in development ... he might turn out to be an Alfa, or maybe only end up being a Fiat 500; time will tell.

As for the Porsches and Ferraris and Maz's in blueblood land, there is one out there who i actually think might take the UCLA job if they really went after him.  No, it's not Cal, UCLA doesn't need a Lambo.  And no, it's not the guy who I think is the best, Jay Wright.  It's Bill Self, a coach who's seen his best days in Lawrence and has no where to take them to the next level.  Self would add an "it" factor to Westwood.  He's a great recruiter, had cred, and from some accounts is totally tired of Lawrence.  If I were the AD at UCLA, I'd be making a contact, and not fishing in the backwater of Moraga for the wrong Bennett.

Since it's the offseason, time to do battle with Altman's biggest/weirdest weakness: retaining players.

Bol has declared. No surprise. 

Louis King is an interesting case. From day one of his commitment I got the impression he wanted to be a one-and-done, but he got hurt and missed the first month of the season and then took another month to shake off most of the rust. I have not seen *any* source peg him with a first round grade. But now you can hire an agent and return to school if undrafted. Does he take the chance? Does he come back and work his way into the first round? So many kids peak and declare because there's not much upside in returning to school (see: those three second rounders we lost off our Final Four team) but King has legit potential to move up if he comes back. I guess we'll see if he likes school?

Both Wooten and Pritchard said they would "take time to consider" their pro options, which is FUCKING BONKERS to me but I guess these are 20-year old kids so whatever. Wooten has zero offensive game and would undoubtedly go undrafted but he'd find himself in the g-league because of his athleticism, but he's so limited offensively I don't know where his future's at. I won't even entertain Pritchard thinking about leaving. He had a good month, off the heels of two years of mediocrity. Both should/will be back.

Then there's potential transfers. People are concerned about Victory Bailey because his playing time evaporated to (almost) nothing, but I'm less concerned because... meh? He barely played. And we've got a decent JC prospect coming in. 

4 hours ago, glduck said:

Since it's the offseason, time to do battle with Altman's biggest/weirdest weakness: retaining players.

If you are going to have any chance of retaining players, a key factor is whether there is even an inkling of a chance that your most skilled players might also have the slightest interest/capacity to also be students.

Archived