Pac-12 Hoops

glduck

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oregon is really weird this year. We’re a small team (no starter over 6’6) but we’re a bad shooting team and not a particularly good ball handling team. Desperately need Will Richardson back, he provides both.

As it is, we barely beat Washington, who might not win a conference game, and are currently in a battle with a bad Cal team.

8 minutes ago, Scorcho said:

I don't know where Utah is with Coach Krystkoviak? This hoops season is clearly a mulligan and so I'd expect him back for 2021-2022, but this program has no juice.  Utah needs a change at the top.

I don't know.  K is a solid coach, and losing by two at Pauley isn't an indictment.  Cronin is the Pac-12 coach with all the buzz, but his team also doesn't seem to have much juice this odd year.

Elsewhere, the old "hot" coach, Hopkins, has a disaster on his hands; Hurley, supposedly with a great team, is badly under-performing, Enfield is simply owned by Boyle, and Boyle has a ceiling that he can't seem to get past.  Miller is dancing with the investigators, with the NCAA slower than red-state mask-mandates.  Haase has a nice team, but losing to UNC and IU, when both are having meh seasons, isn't turning national heads.

But K?  Who would the Utes get who would juice up the program and bring blue chips to the Wasatch range and then light their fires?  There aren't many places to find another Majerus.

1 hour ago, EastCoastFan said:

I don't know.  K is a solid coach, and losing by two at Pauley isn't an indictment.  Cronin is the Pac-12 coach with all the buzz, but his team also doesn't seem to have much juice this odd year.

Elsewhere, the old "hot" coach, Hopkins, has a disaster on his hands; Hurley, supposedly with a great team, is badly under-performing, Enfield is simply owned by Boyle, and Boyle has a ceiling that he can't seem to get past.  Miller is dancing with the investigators, with the NCAA slower than red-state mask-mandates.  Haase has a nice team, but losing to UNC and IU, when both are having meh seasons, isn't turning national heads.

But K?  Who would the Utes get who would juice up the program and bring blue chips to the Wasatch range and then light their fires?  There aren't many places to find another Majerus.

If you're satisfied with an 8th or 9th finish in conference every year and inability to win a conference tournament game then Larry is your guy. He brought Utah out of a deep hole when he was hired. He's had 9 years with very little to show for it.

Utah will never be the type of program that gets blue chip recruits. We'll never be a UCLA, Oregon or Arizona. We need 4-5 solid upper class-man and maybe a guy or two that has potential to play in the NBA. Larry recruits pretty well, the problem has been that Larry can't keep players on his roster in order to build anything. Its been a revolving door. I've never seen so much apathy surrounding the program. 

2 hours ago, Scorcho said:

I don't know where Utah is with Coach Krystkoviak? This hoops season is clearly a mulligan and so I'd expect him back for 2021-2022, but this program has no juice.  Utah needs a change at the top.

He usually find a couple gems, recruits one really good player and surrounds them with JAGs who overachieve. If he ever hired an AAU coach as his third assistant, they'd be top 3 in the PAC-12 every year.

2 hours ago, EastCoastFan said:

UCLA played sluggish because they've had three practices and one game in like 20 days. I know Utah wasn't far off those numbers either.

On 1/1/2021 at 2:07 PM, MrBug708 said:

He usually find a couple gems, recruits one really good player and surrounds them with JAGs who overachieve. If he ever hired an AAU coach as his third assistant, they'd be top 3 in the PAC-12 every year.

two of his assistants are players fathers (Rylan Jones dad and Ian Martinez's dad). Apparently, that's what we have to do to land some of these recruits.

Utah was dreadful at USC, our initial Net rankings is 150ish

4f4f947b5f8d49aefc1702e953de41a3.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone watching hoops? ‘Cause I am not. Oregon has had two separate covid outbreaks, which has wiped out weeks and weeks worth of games. We had another game cancelled because an official tested positive so the entire trio had to go into quarantine. As a fan, it’s been tricky trying to stick with it.

Without the Ducks to follow, I’ve been disinterested in the national scene, too. Apparently Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State, and Carolina all suck now?

16 hours ago, glduck said:

Is anyone watching hoops? ‘Cause I am not. Oregon has had two separate covid outbreaks, which has wiped out weeks and weeks worth of games. We had another game cancelled because an official tested positive so the entire trio had to go into quarantine. As a fan, it’s been tricky trying to stick with it.

Without the Ducks to follow, I’ve been disinterested in the national scene, too. Apparently Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State, and Carolina all suck now?

I watch a little PAC12 here and there, but I don't go out of my way to watch. College hoops was dying a little bit prior to the pandemic. The virus has nudged it ever so closer to the edge of the cliff.

Archived