Pac-12 Hoops

glduck

Yeah. The "he'd have it better off here" argument is used a lot, and sometimes it's absolutely true, but the ego's on these coaches, man. If he's one of those guys who gets off on comparing himself and the program he's running to Duke and Carolina and whatnot, a lot of the common sense reasons for staying get thrown out the window. 

The Pac-12 being a JV league isn't helping. Of course I don't think it'll happen, but some people are throwing around Dana Altman-to-Nebraska because of his Creighton ties on the basis that the B1G is so far ahead of where the Pac-12 is. We're two seasons removed from a Final 4, and Nebraska is the only P5 (or whatever) school to never win an NCAA Tournament game (I think). Nebraska basketball poaching anybody's coach is ludicrous, but that's how bad the conference image is right now.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Downthefield said:

You're right.  If he's not up to the challenge of a big-time blue-blood program, he should stay right where he is.  However, you may be underestimating Hopkins' willingness to swim in the deep water.

True ... if he wants to compete at the top level, the ACC offers an immediate comparison against true blue bloods, even if Syracuse is not quite at the level of a Duke, or UNC. Counterpoint: stay at UW and become the husky version of Lute Olson or Mark Few. Both of those coaches created new powers where neither was at that level before. That would have some appeal to me.

54 minutes ago, glduck said:

Of course I don't think it'll happen, but some people are throwing around Dana Altman-to-Nebraska because of his Creighton ties on the basis that the B1G is so far ahead of where the Pac-12 is. We're two seasons removed from a Final 4, and Nebraska is the only P5 (or whatever) school to never win an NCAA Tournament game (I think). Nebraska basketball poaching anybody's coach is ludicrous, but that's how bad the conference image is right now.

There is no way Altman is considering leaving for Nebraska ... no f'ing way. IMO.

14 minutes ago, glduck said:

The Pac-12 being a JV league isn't helping. Of course I don't think it'll happen, but some people are throwing around Dana Altman-to-Nebraska because of his Creighton ties on the basis that the B1G is so far ahead of where the Pac-12 is. We're two seasons removed from a Final 4, and Nebraska is the only P5 (or whatever) school to never win an NCAA Tournament game (I think). Nebraska basketball poaching anybody's coach is ludicrous, but that's how bad the conference image is right now.

I sure don't see what the attraction would be for Altman in Lincoln.  Sure, he's a Nebraska boy, but he must know that even with excellent Husker facilities, Lincoln doesn't compare to Eugene.  I'd expect that if Altman were to leave, it would be to a school that treats basketball with high respect, not as a occasional diversion until spring football practice.

If you look around the Pac-12, it's easy to see some coaches who might jump at other opportunities if they were to occur.  Hurley to any big-name east coast team would be likely, someplace like Pitt or Miami or Maryland.  Krystkowiak at any of the Cali schools could happen.  Boyle would love to get back to where he played and was a star, at Lawrence.  And Miller you could see turning his back on the NCAA and heading to an NBA team.  As for Jones and Enfield and Kent and Tinkel, there probably wouldn't be many opportunities.  Haase is probably comfortable where he is.

Back to Hopkins, let's not overstate the bar for success at Syracuse.  Since joining the ACC, Boeheim has had one final four; one sweet 16; one round of 32; one NIT; and one "not invited."  Not all that "can't compete with that."  In 43 years of coaching, he's had just one national championship.  The bottom line -- at Syracuse, the basketball coach is a god, while football is the occasional diversion.  And Hopkins is loved there already.  And remember -- football will always be king at Washington, unlike Gonzaga or Arizona.

2 minutes ago, Downthefield said:

Back to Hopkins, let's not overstate the bar for success at Syracuse.  Since joining the ACC, Boeheim has had one final four; one sweet 16; one round of 32; one NIT; and one "not invited."  Not all that "can't compete with that."  In 43 years of coaching, he's had just one national championship.  The bottom line -- at Syracuse, the basketball coach is a god, while football is the occasional diversion.  And Hopkins is loved there already.  And remember -- football will always be king at Washington, unlike Gonzaga or Arizona.

:( 

4 hours ago, row Z said:

Good point, the offense has not been that great under Hopkins. I hope that means that UCLA is not looking poach him ... 

I dont think either are a good fit. If we are trying to steal a second year coach in conference who hasn't ever made the tournament as the main coach (Boeheim not there withstanding), we are digging at the bottom of the bucket. It's not to say he's not good enough, but the situation would look pretty awful from the outside. It's like people think Hurley is a candidate at ASU because he beat Kansas once.

Current NET rankings (the tool used by the selection committee):

• 31.  Washington
  • 70.  Oregon
  • 72.  Arizona State
  • 80.  Colorado
  • 84.  Arizona
  • 90.  (Edit) Oregon State
  • 94.  Utah
  • 95.  USC
  • 98.  Stanford
  • 104.  UCLA
  • 177.  Washington State
  • 264.  California

As it stands, unless Washington loses in the Pac-12 tourney and somebody else gets the auto-invite, the conference looks to have only one team get invited to the NCAA tourney.  Somebody else needs to not only get hot (a number of Pac-12 teams have on occasion), but to stay hot.

3 hours ago, Downthefield said:

• 31.  Washington
  • 70.  Oregon
  • 72.  Arizona State
  • 80.  Colorado
  • 84.  Arizona
  • 90.  Arizona State
  • 94.  Utah
  • 95.  USC
  • 98.  Stanford
  • 104.  UCLA
  • 177.  Washington State
  • 264.  California

As it stands, unless Washington loses in the Pac-12 tourney and somebody else gets the auto-invite, the conference looks to have only one team get invited to the NCAA tourney.  Somebody else needs to not only get hot (a number of Pac-12 teams have on occasion), but to stay hot.

Poor Oregon State

17 hours ago, Downthefield said:

• 31.  Washington
  • 70.  Oregon
  • 72.  Arizona State
  • 80.  Colorado
  • 84.  Arizona
  • 90.  (Edit) Oregon State
  • 94.  Utah
  • 95.  USC
  • 98.  Stanford