Pac-12 Hoops

glduck

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MrBug708 said:

Cronin won, which was not much of a race either

What are your thoughts on Cronin?  To an outsider (me), he looks like a poor mans Howland (not a bad thing for most schools) as his offensive sets and spacing look real bad but the defense looks really good.  It doesn’t look like he’s a great recruiter either.  

the main Reason I ask is because he appears to be a worse version of a guy UCLA fans essentially chased out of Westwood.  

2 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

Cronin won, which was not much of a race either

Altman deserved it.  He had a team that replaced almost everyone from last year, and was walking wounded all year.  But this conference loves the new guy.  

20 minutes ago, RogueDuck said:

Altman deserved it.  He had a team that replaced almost everyone from last year, and was walking wounded all year.  But this conference loves the new guy.  

So the coach who was picked to finish first and finish first did a better job than the coach picked to finish 8th and lost out on a conference title on a buzzer beater on the road?

Sorry, but no. It has nothing to do with being the new guy, that's a lazy-ass take.

1 minute ago, MrBug708 said:

So the coach who was picked to finish first and finish first did a better job than the coach picked to finish 8th and lost out on a conference title on a buzzer beater on the road?

Sorry, but no. It has nothing to do with being the new guy, that's a lazy-ass take.

He was picked first based on having 2 5* coming in.  One played well below that, the other played 12 games total all year.  Altman's 2nd best player got hurt and missed the last 3 weeks.  Oh and he also beat Cronin head to head.  

1 hour ago, All Hail said:

What are your thoughts on Cronin?  To an outsider (me), he looks like a poor mans Howland (not a bad thing for most schools) as his offensive sets and spacing look real bad but the defense looks really good.  It doesn’t look like he’s a great recruiter either.  

the main Reason I ask is because he appears to be a worse version of a guy UCLA fans essentially chased out of Westwood.  

The offense will be a work in progress. But Campbell probably is a lower-tier PAC-12 guy and played hurt for a lot of the year. He did a good job getting Riley and Hill into players, and Chris Smith has shown a lot of glimpses of promise. I think a Howland comparison is shallow, they are slightly different styles, where Cronin is more physical than Howland's were. Howland also was blessed with Farmar, Afflalo, Darren Collison, and Russell Westbrook during his earlier years. Later on it was Malcolm Lee, Jerime Anderson, Jrue Holiday, and Larry Drew and it was usually more rough. Despite the rougher demeaner on the court, he's a players coach more than Howland

Recruiting is an issue? He landed the top PG in the nation to shore up a deficiency, and picked up a physical guard. He did need to find a post, but there is still time and they shouldn't be losing anyone outside of a big mistake type. Unlike where Howland went wrong, Cronin does seem to be recruiting guys to his style, whereas Ben Howland recruited players that didn't fit his sytem and it failed.

But it's only been a single year. We'll see how we do next year.

12 minutes ago, RogueDuck said:

He was picked first based on having 2 5* coming in.  One played well below that, the other played 12 games total all year.  Altman's 2nd best player got hurt and missed the last 3 weeks.  Oh and he also beat Cronin head to head.  

Really makes no difference. Cronin was an easy choice for what he did (and obviously everyone else thought so) and has nothing to do with "being the new guy" like you said.

Your energy is better suited chastising ASU fans who feel like Remy should have won POTY over the preseason and current winner.

Altman did his usual top notch job (winning a conference with only 3 returning players is unquestionably boss) but these things almost always seem to go to the coach who overachieved, especially in a year where the champion didn’t run roughshod through league.

If the Tourney was going to be held in San Jose this year ...

Dr. Sara Cody, Santa Clara County Health Officer, will be issuing an Order this evening that will impose a moratorium on any mass gathering in Santa Clara County of 1,000 or more persons. The Order will take effect at 12:00 a.m. on March 11, 2020, to allow a day to ensure the public is aware of the Order and for local law enforcement to review and implement the Order. This will be in effect for three weeks. Along with the Order, stronger guidance will be issued urging the cancellation of gatherings of less than 1,000 persons, along with expanded guidance to employers, schools, and other groups.

23 minutes ago, azgreg said:

How in the hell is Arizona a 4.5 point favorite?

Yeah, should probably be more. Arizona clearly the much more talented team.

I don't know what the hell is going on in the Pac, but the home vs. away performance by almost everyone seems shocking. I would suggest the officiating has something to do with it, but I am not one for conspiracy theories.

Archived