C/O 2020 Football Recruiting

KUGRDON

43 minutes ago, Chad Sexington said:

We don’t have room for him, that’s what I meant.  We have five or six guys still and, by my count, four scholarships left. 

I am sure they would have made room for him, I know the deal was he could compete for QB, but if he got beat out at QB, he would play elsewhere. I am guessing Rutgers came in either guaranteeing QB position, or at least telling him he would have a much better chance at it than he would at Utah. There is also some scuttlebutt about his RB friend being asked to greyshirt that may have played into this. May be losing the RB as well ( Gentry ), but not sure.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Mano said:

I am sure they would have made room for him, I know the deal was he could compete for QB, but if he got beat out at QB, he would play elsewhere. I am guessing Rutgers came in either guaranteeing QB position, or at least telling him he would have a much better chance at it than he would at Utah. There is also some scuttlebutt about his RB friend being asked to greyshirt that may have played into this. May be losing the RB as well ( Gentry ), but not sure.

Don’t agree. He gets reclassified as an ATH. We now don’t have a need for Safeties or Corners. We have a full complement of receivers. He absolutely, positively would not play QB...so...I don’t see a spot for him. I just wish we’d bring in a FR QB. We’re down to two QBs now because they’re moving Shelley to DB and Lisk is moving on since he’s graduated. Emergency guys would be Covey and Shelley. It would be smart to bring in a FR. 

2 hours ago, Chad Sexington said:

Don’t agree. He gets reclassified as an ATH. We now don’t have a need for Safeties or Corners. We have a full complement of receivers. He absolutely, positively would not play QB...so...I don’t see a spot for him. I just wish we’d bring in a FR QB. We’re down to two QBs now because they’re moving Shelley to DB and Lisk is moving on since he’s graduated. Emergency guys would be Covey and Shelley. It would be smart to bring in a FR. 

I agree we need to bring in a youngster to groom.  I also think the new transfer portal giveth and taketh away. Roll the dice but I think we can catch kids while we’re hot. 

9 minutes ago, utenation said:

I agree we need to bring in a youngster to groom.  I also think the new transfer portal giveth and taketh away. Roll the dice but I think we can catch kids while we’re hot. 

Right now Utah’s top targets are:

Clark Phillips III, CB 4-star currently committed to Ohio St. 

Edgerrin Cooper, LB 4-star who is also being pursued by aTm and LSU. 

Xavier Carlton, DE 4-star who is expected to sign with Utah tomorrow morning.

That leaves one scholarship that I would like to see taken by Katravis Marsh.

15 hours ago, Chad Sexington said:

He wasn't ever going to get time at QB in a game for us. He was going to be a DB, which is a big position of need for us. Ohio State was recruiting him heavily as a DB before he committed to Baylor. You don't turn away talent like that. We wanted him.

He's also going to Rutgers as a DB. 

It was Rutgers new coaching staff that got him to flip. Greg Schiano was his main recruiter at Ohio State, and he's now HC at Rutgers. The guy he committed to at Baylor was Fran Brown. Brown is on Schaino's staff at Rutgers as well. It's just a situation of a guy having coaches he was more comfortable with running their own show at Rutgers and wanting to go play for them. Also, as Mano mentioned, he was good friends with Gentry, who probably isn't going to end up making it.

It is what it is. Kids choose to go other places, but it wasn't because Utah didn't want him in this case. We're going to land Clark Phillips today, so we have a more than capable replacement for Powell at DB.

14 hours ago, Chad Sexington said:

I have heard  Cooper Justice likely joining team ( likely as a pwo ), and he fills the hs qb role.

22 minutes ago, Chad Sexington said:

Yeah, he’s a walk-on. I’m not sure he’s a PAC12 level QB. 

He's getting a scholarship. I don't agree with that based on what I've seen, but hopefully Ludwig knows what he's doing. Head-scratching move for sure.

59 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

A terrible year really hurts UCLA with both Phillips and B. Young as both are legacy kids in our backyard. Ah well, winners gain kids, we can't land anyone in the top 40 of California

Chip and his coaches hating recruting, probably didn't help either.  

Archived