Under New Management

mugtang

Hi everybody.  @MrBug708 has decided to hang it up as the owner of the pac12board and I have taken over.  I’ve run the mwcboard for 5 years now so I have experience running a forum but I haven’t spent a lot of time here so it’ll take me a bit to get up to speed on the culture of the forum.  I’m not planning on any immediate changes to the forum but I am open to any suggestions you may have when it comes to features you’d like, improvements to the forum, etc.  One change I will be making is I am going to give everybody access to unique team specific themes, I have them on the mwcboard and they’re quite popular.  That’ll take about a month or so as I have to get a new logo designed.  In the mean time please feel free to offer your suggestions below or let me know if you have any questions.  

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to thank @MrBug708 for keeping this board running.  I have been on message boards for 20 years and it seems like P5 message boards are having a hard time staying around.  Three Big 12 boards died on me and one Big Ten board that was around a long time (Big Ten Fever) is dead as well.  Even one of the SEC ones nearly went under last year and I'm not sure if there is an ACC one still around.  So based on that experience, it's a miracle that this board is still around.

I do post on the MWCBoard (2,000+ posts over there) and it seems like that the G5 fan is a different breed from the P5 fan especially when it comes to conference message boards.  Perhaps it is because the G5 fans banded together to take on the "evil" P5 and I do sense that kind of unity on the MWCBoard.  The SEC seems to have a sense of conference unity while the other four P5 conferences do not have that.

Welcome @mugtang and thank you for keeping this board running.

Just now, Jalapeno said:

I want to thank @MrBug708 for keeping this board running.  I have been on message boards for 20 years and it seems like P5 message boards are having a hard time staying around.  Three Big 12 boards died on me and one Big Ten board that was around a long time (Big Ten Fever) is dead as well.  Even one of the SEC ones nearly went under last year and I'm not sure if there is an ACC one still around.  So based on that experience, it's a miracle that this board is still around.

I do post on the MWCBoard (2,000+ posts over there) and it seems like that the G5 fan is a different breed from the P5 fan especially when it comes to conference message boards.  Perhaps it is because the G5 fans banded together to take on the "evil" P5 and I do sense that kind of unity on the MWCBoard.  The SEC seems to have a sense of conference unity while the other four P5 conferences do not have that.

Welcome @mugtang and thank you for keeping this board running.

I think you’re spot on with this analysis.  Us G5 fans have an us vs them mentality when it comes to conference unity.  And I think the mwcboard is unique as there’s a core group of hardcore posters who visit it no matter what.  Even during the off-season it’s rare to see a thread on the first page that hasn’t been commented on within a day.  I don’t know if we will reach that level of engagement here but there definitely is room to grow. 

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

I think you’re spot on with this analysis.  Us G5 fans have an us vs them mentality when it comes to conference unity.  And I think the mwcboard is unique as there’s a core group of hardcore posters who visit it no matter what.  Even during the off-season it’s rare to see a thread on the first page that hasn’t been commented on within a day.  I don’t know if we will reach that level of engagement here but there definitely is room to grow. 

I believe we do have some of those hardcore posters here...we just need more of them.

I was thinking about what made the MWC Board what it is today and it certainly was that us against that world mentality.  That mentality seems to exist within the Pac-12 fanbase to a degree due to the smaller media rights deals compared to the B1G, Big 12, and SEC plus that east coast bias.  I think tapping more into that could get this board going.  I'm aware of the dislike of Hair Thompson on the MWC Board but Larry Scott is getting there with the Pac-12 fans.

So I lied when I said I wasn’t going to make changes.  I’m going to change the board so it goes to the first unread post, l’ll fix the twitter embedding on mobile so it doesn’t bleed over. Also, the ads are gone temporarily while I get my ad servicer (don’t use Adsense cause it sucks) to generate new ad tags.  I did remove the sidebar on the forum as that’s unnecessary and changed a couple of the other blocks. 

Mugtang, welcome.  Glad to have you here.  A few questions for you as we get to know you:

-- What is your MWC connection?  Do you have schools that you support?

-- Do you have connections with any Pac-12 schools?  Any rooting interest?

-- Have you been to any Pac-12 intra-league football games at any of our stadiums?  If so, where?

-- Same question for Pac-12 basketball.  Visited our games/arenas?

-- Have you visited any Pac-12 campuses?  If so, which ones?

Thanks.  Knowing a little about you will guide us in conversation.

10 minutes ago, Downthefield said:

Mugtang, welcome.  Glad to have you here.  A few questions for you as we get to know you:

-- What is your MWC connection?  Do you have schools that you support?

-- Do you have connections with any Pac-12 schools?  Any rooting interest?

-- Have you been to any Pac-12 intra-league football games at any of our stadiums?  If so, where?

-- Same question for Pac-12 basketball.  Visited our games/arenas?

-- Have you visited any Pac-12 campuses?  If so, which ones?

Thanks.  Knowing a little about you will guide us in conversation.

All good questions.  

My MWC connection is I’m a Nevada alumni so that’s my rooting interest for the Mountain West. 

As for the PAC-12, I grew up in Sonoma County so I have some rooting interest in Cal & Stanford but it’s more passive than active.  

I have been to PAC-12 league games but it has been a long time.  The last one I went to was Stanford vs Washington in Palo Alto. That was back in 1999 or 2000.  I have attended Nevada’s games @ Cal In 2012 and I drove to the Nevada vs UCLA game in 2015 and watched the game in the Rose Bowl.

I don’t think I’ve attended any PAC-12 arenas for basketball. 

The campuses I’ve visited are Stanford, Berkeley & UCLA.  

I hope that helps. 

14 hours ago, mugtang said:

All good questions.  

My MWC connection is I’m a Nevada alumni so that’s my rooting interest for the Mountain West. 

As for the PAC-12, I grew up in Sonoma County so I have some rooting interest in Cal & Stanford but it’s more passive than active.  

I have been to PAC-12 league games but it has been a long time.  The last one I went to was Stanford vs Washington in Palo Alto. That was back in 1999 or 2000.  I have attended Nevada’s games @ Cal In 2012 and I drove to the Nevada vs UCLA game in 2015 and watched the game in the Rose Bowl.

I don’t think I’ve attended any PAC-12 arenas for basketball. 

The campuses I’ve visited are Stanford, Berkeley & UCLA.  

I hope that helps. 

Here's what you're in for if you visit some of our stadiums this fall (part 1)

Image result for view from cal football stadium

On a magical hillside overlooking San Francisco Bay – Memorial Stadium at Cal

4 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

I tried to paste a tweet from my iPad & got:

403 Permission Denied

You do not have permission for this request /index.php?/topic/8127-new-pac-12-bowl-tie-ins/&page=2&failedReply=1

Well shit.  Stand by

Archived