Equal Pay

KUGRDON

I don’t pretend to have an interest in futball whether played by men, women or squirrels.  The equal pay argument is interesting for what it doesn’t say.

I have no idea whether women should be paid the same as men for playing soccer.  I’ve listened to several interviews with players on the topic and they never mention what I think is the central issue. Do the women in soccer generate the same amount of revenue as the men.  If yes, equal pay, if no, then no.  Games or championships won are irrelevant.

It is the very same question as, “should the head coach at North Dakota State Make what Nick Saban makes.”  Look at the revenue.

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/09/739703325/equal-pay-for-equal-play-the-u-s-womens-soccer-team-tackles-its-next-quest

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/19/us-womens-soccer-games-now-generate-more-revenue-than-mens.html

I agree that the revenue numbers should determine the pay of coaches & players.  Believe it or not, the USWSNT did earn a bit more than the USMNT between 2016-18 so maybe there's a good argument for that equal pay lawsuit.

The Men's World Cup champs were paid $38 million versus $4 million for the Women's World Cup champs so that is something that might need to be directed at the FIFA itself.

If 2 people are doing the same job at the same level of quality, they should be paid the same regardless of age/sex/race/identity/etc. If male and female athletes were doing the same job at the same level of "quality" then the answer would obviously be yes, but when the revenue for your industry is measured by how much companies pay for the commercials played during a telecast it's pretty easy to tell who should be making more. One year of Lebron James jersey sales is probably more than the history of WNBA merch sales, etc, etc.

Do female athletes likely deserve a larger slice of the pie? Probably. Are they getting less of that relative pie than male athletes do? Probably. That should be the argument, not equal pay. Professional women tennis players and golfers don't make their respective organizations as much money as their male counterparts straight up because fewer people pay to attend/watch/consume what they're producing. Hell, the WNBA runs at a loss every year and is subsidized by the NBA. 

23 minutes ago, azgreg said:

From what I've heard over the last three years the women's team has generated more money for US Soccer than the men have.

This screams of cherry picking. The men's team didn't even qualify for the world cup. Let's look at every other 4 year period and then compare. The article I read says the Women's World Cup final got higher ratings in the US than last summer's Men's WC final, which is again straight up horrible logic. Gee, I'm shocked that the AMERICAN team in the final got higher ratings. What would the men's ratings have been if the USMNT was in the final? We all know the answer. 

2 hours ago, KUGRDON said:

I don’t pretend to have an interest in futball whether played by men, women or squirrels.  The equal pay argument is interesting for what it doesn’t say.

I have no idea whether women should be paid the same as men for playing soccer.  I’ve listened to several interviews with players on the topic and they never mention what I think is the central issue. Do the women in soccer generate the same amount of revenue as the men.  If yes, equal pay, if no, then no.  Games or championships won are irrelevant.

It is the very same question as, “should the head coach at North Dakota State Make what Nick Saban makes.”  Look at the revenue.

It's spelled "futbol."

Evidently you aren't listening to the argument:

I'm not saying the prize money is $450 million this time or next time around. I understand that, for a lot of different reasons, the men's game financially is far advanced than the women's game. If you really care, are you letting the gap grow, are you scheduling three finals on the same day? No, you're not. -Megan Rapinoe

2 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

The Men's World Cup champs were paid $38 million versus $4 million for the Women's World Cup champs so that is something that might need to be directed at the FIFA itself.

And how much more money did the Men's world cup make for FIFA? People need to make apples to apples comparisons for these stats to hold any water. 

One of the issues is the federation was giving out per Diem differences for the two teams. Like the men needed more per day then the women. But based on all of the corruption on top down in FIFA, hoarding wages on something like per diem isn't unexpected

I think the revenues are from only home game ticket sales, when the US men's had a down year and missed the tournament completely. I think it was something like 50.3 to 49.9 million over that three year period. They also played more home games last year and generally play home games, while the US plays a lot of friendlies in Europe to help their foreign based players travel time in regards to club management. But Federations and Clubs have always been at odds over who/when can be called up.

I'm going to throw this in from left field...aren't men generally more into watching sports than women and would those same men be watching more men's sports than women's sports?  Aren't the games generally played differently than the opposite sex?

I like the idea of how women's lacrosse is different from men's lacrosse.  I don't mind there being no drinking in women's basketball but perhaps more skill than raw athleticism.

18 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

I'm going to throw this in from left field...aren't men generally more into watching sports than women and would those same men be watching more men's sports than women's sports?  Aren't the games generally played differently than the opposite sex?

I like the idea of how women's lacrosse is different from men's lacrosse.  I don't mind there being no drinking in women's basketball but perhaps more skill than raw athleticism.

I think it's an issue.

Archived