Conservative America

Scscsc89

It’s not like lunch is already free for folks making up to 185% of the poverty level and that a majority of school lunch debt is attributable to parents who won’t fill out the paperwork for the school to get reimbursed by the govt.  \_(ツ)_/¯ 

On 7/26/2021 at 11:01 AM, KUGRDON said:

It’s not like lunch is already free for folks making up to 185% of the poverty level and that a majority of school lunch debt is attributable to parents who won’t fill out the paperwork for the school to get reimbursed by the govt.  \_(ツ)_/¯ 

Yeah, I know, you think we should means-test everything.  Should we means-test roads?

You can afford to build your own road.    Stay off the public roads.

It's children's lunches.  Throw it in.  Learning requires nourishment.

On 7/27/2021 at 7:36 AM, KUGRDON said:

I never said don’t feed the kids. The parents incur a debt when you do so, collect on the debt.  Kids aren’t a debt shield.  

And when the debt can't be collected, you're in favor of making kids eat a mayonnaise sandwich and wear a scarlet letter.

Do you EVER care that every single one of your political opinions requires abject cruelty?

On 7/27/2021 at 9:32 AM, Orange said:

And when the debt can't be collected, you're in favor of making kids eat a mayonnaise sandwich and wear a scarlet letter.

Do you EVER care that every single one of your political opinions requires abject cruelty?

The shit you make up is cruelty.  Feed the kids, collect the debt in the normal course.  Can’t imagine why this is controversial.

On 7/27/2021 at 6:09 PM, Orange said:

Anything that will fuck a poor family, right?

Just send Joe’s $300 a month to the school and let the school deduct the price of the school lunch and breakfasts and send the rest to the parents.  Easy

So my mom has actually been a Nutrition administrator for a local school district for about a decade and a half. It’s her experience that districts go to great lengths to provide parents everything they need to apply for free or reduced lunch programs through the NSLP, short of forging parent signatures on the actual forms. The reason is simple: it is virtually impossible for a district to collect on breakfast/lunch debt anymore. Gone are the days where districts hold any sort of leverage over parents (my HS diploma was going to be held because I had an unpaid $3 library fine — that isn’t happening in 2021). Districts eat an ungodly amount of money each year. 

Her district has been self-op for several years (as opposed to hiring an outside conglomerate to provide everything) and as ruthless has the pandemic has been in so many areas in her field, one of the rare silver linings has been instead of devoting what little resources she does have with pleading with parents to pay their kids’ debt, she’s able to shift that wasted time to strategic meal planning. Some of the menus they’re coming up with now just blow the school meals of my childhood out of the water. The variety and nutritional values are unbelievable, it’s crazy what skilled professionals are able to do when they’re allowed to do their jobs free of needless bullshit.

• Thanks 1