Random

KUGRDON

Social distancing family dilemma:

My sister-in-law sent me a package via Fed-Ex, which arrived today. Along with a purse for her sister, she included my birthday present (which BTW happened more than a month ago). The box was obviously wet when delivered.

She had sent me a fifth of Basil Hayden's Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey (which I've never had), and it was shattered. A quick Google search reveals that it's a fairly expensive bottle of booze, at least by my trailer park standards.

So, do I tell her she did a shitty packing job, or do I just graciously thank her for the quality drunk?

I already know the answer, but I also know that her packaging skills will not improve as a result of my chivalry. Then again, it's the first time in 32 years that she's given me booze for my birthday.

#firstworldCOVIDproblems

On 7/28/2020 at 4:30 PM, Quack 12 said:

Social distancing family dilemma:

My sister-in-law sent me a package via Fed-Ex, which arrived today. Along with a purse for her sister, she included my birthday present (which BTW happened more than a month ago). The box was obviously wet when delivered.

She had sent me a fifth of Basil Hayden's Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey (which I've never had), and it was shattered. A quick Google search reveals that it's a fairly expensive bottle of booze, at least by my trailer park standards.

So, do I tell her she did a shitty packing job, or do I just graciously thank her for the quality drunk?

I already know the answer, but I also know that her packaging skills will not improve as a result of my chivalry. Then again, it's the first time in 32 years that she's given me booze for my birthday.

#firstworldCOVIDproblems

To help you out: Basil Hayden is a lighter bourbon that is very easy to drink straight.  It's a lower proof, which makes it mellower and a good entry bourbon.  Light notes of fruit and oak and a pretty clean and easy finish. 

It's one of the first ones I drank that I really liked straight or on the rocks, but have moved on to more forward leaning bourbons.

1 hour ago, duckfandan said:

To help you out: Basil Hayden is a lighter bourbon that is very easy to drink straight.  It's a lower proof, which makes it mellower and a good entry bourbon.  Light notes of fruit and oak and a pretty clean and easy finish. 

It's one of the first ones I drank that I really liked straight or on the rocks, but have moved on to more forward leaning bourbons.

Yeah, Basil Hayden's is fine, and a favorite of a lot of beginning bourbon drinkers, likely due to the sweetness and lower proof. They use the same mashbill as old grandad, just much lower proof (old grandad is 114 proof).

• 2 months later...

I’ve been thinking about Kris Kristofferson’s life story for a few days now.  That story embodies the choice to reject more easily attained success to pursue dreams.  It highlights the sometimes haunting and regret inducing choices that I made.  (I’m not implying that Kristofferson’s military career or that my career in business and law was easy, just that it offered more certain success).

When I was young I had dreams of being  a coach, an educator, a journalist or even a public servant.  For a young person, these choices required sacrificing, at least temporarily and perhaps permanently, economic rewards for less certain rewards.  

I adopted the “make money doing what you can easily do and use that money to pursue your dreams and support your family” approach.  The problem was that such work and familial concerns consumed more and more of my time and energy as my career and family developed.  Dreams died.

In one sense my choices paid off.  We faced little economic stress, I am comfortably retired and am rewarded daily with the love of an extended family.    I will always wonder whether I could’ve achieved those things pursuing dreams.

Have you faced similar choices?  Thoughts?

I probably made the right choices. I clearly don’t have an ounce of the creativity that Kristofferson has and that would have been more necessary to success in those other career endeavors.  I was clearly more adept at recognizing, adopting, tweaking and executing strategies and designs of others, sometimes in fields totally different than mine, than developing them myself.

Being honest, while my relative lack of creativity would have been an obstacle, I also lacked the courage to launch into fields that might have been more gratifying but which were more difficult, at least for me, or had a less certain progression.