2019-20 NBA

PapaG

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, KUGRDON said:

Do you think this stuff will register on the cool scale one way or the other with kids?

Allegiance with an authoritarian government does not register on the cool scale.  It will turn kids off.  They're more engaged now than our generation, or yours.

1.  There was no allegiance to China expressed.

2.  Obama is among the coolest guys in the world to these kids.

3.  Obama did virtually nothing about the Chinese or North Korean authoritarianism.

4.  Obama messaged to Putin that he would have more flexibility (ability to make concessions) in connection with Polish anti-missile defenses after the 2012 election.

5.  Obama nothing effectual to respond to Russian invasion of Ukraine, Chinese cyber attacks, Russian interference in 2016 election.

6.  Obama did nothing to halt Assad’s use of chemical weapons on Syrian civilians.

I could go on and on.  LeBron’s aging and move to the Lakers will have far more affect on his cool factor than any statement re China.

33 minutes ago, KUGRDON said:

3.  Obama did virtually nothing about the Chinese or North Korean authoritarianism.

4.  Obama messaged to Putin that he would have more flexibility (ability to make concessions) in connection with Polish anti-missile defenses after the 2012 election.

5.  Obama nothing effectual to respond to Russian invasion of Ukraine, Chinese cyber attacks, Russian interference in 2016 election.

6.  Obama did nothing to halt Assad’s use of chemical weapons on Syrian civilians.

I could go on and on.  LeBron’s aging and move to the Lakers will have far more affect on his cool factor than any statement re China.

I think 3, 4, 5 and 6 are sub-points to No. 2 - and No. 2 is wrong. Obama only seems cool in comparison to the complete oaf who's currently occupying the White House.

2 hours ago, Orange said:

Is that sarcasm?  More baby boomer pride/get off my lawn bullshit?

Key facts about youth voting

• From 1972 to 2016, the proportion of youth ages 18 to 24 who reported voting in presidential elections decreased from 50 to 39 percent.
• The percentage of youth who reported voting in 2014, a nonpresidential election year, was 16 percent—markedly lower than in the 2016 presidential election (39 percent). This pattern has been consistent since 1972.
• In 2016, young women reported registering to vote and voting (53 and 42 percent, respectively) at higher rates than their male peers (49 and 37 percent, respectively).
• Among the racial/ethnic groups for which we have data, Asian and Hispanic youth are the least likely to report both registering to vote and voting, regardless of their citizenship.

https://www.childtrends.org/indicators/youth-voting

historical_youth_turnout.jpg

There was a surge of 18-24 turnout in 2018 up to 36%.  Trump factor or sustainable?  We’ll see.

2 hours ago, KUGRDON said:

It was implicit

Uh, not really.

Well, he did decide not to fall in love with Kim and remove sanctions in exchange for nothing.  Apart from nuking NK, what did you expect him to do?

He said no such thing to Putin; he was speaking to Medvedev, and it's called "diplomacy"|.  I.e., offering concessions to adversaries in exchange for something, as opposed to blathering via twitter, breaking promises, and caving to dictators.  Again, what would you have preferred?  Obama going to war?  Kids aren't fans of war.

Obama sanctioned Russia.  Trump promptly undid the sanctions. LIar.  Again, what would you have preferred?  Obama going to war?  Kids aren't fans of war.

Again, what would you have preferred?  Obama going to war?  Kids aren't fans of war.

Okay?  Anything relevant to add?

1 minute ago, KUGRDON said:

Key facts about youth voting

• From 1972 to 2016, the proportion of youth ages 18 to 24 who reported voting in presidential elections decreased from 50 to 39 percent.
• The percentage of youth who reported voting in 2014, a nonpresidential election year, was 16 percent—markedly lower than in the 2016 presidential election (39 percent). This pattern has been consistent since 1972.
• In 2016, young women reported registering to vote and voting (53 and 42 percent, respectively) at higher rates than their male peers (49 and 37 percent, respectively).
• Among the racial/ethnic groups for which we have data, Asian and Hispanic youth are the least likely to report both registering to vote and voting, regardless of their citizenship.

https://www.childtrends.org/indicators/youth-voting

historical_youth_turnout.jpg

https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2019/04/behind-2018-united-states-midterm-election-turnout.html

Nice cut-off year.  From my link:

Among 18- to 29-year-olds, voter turnout went from 20 percent in 2014 to 36 percent in 2018, the largest percentage point increase for any age group — a 79 percent jump.

3 minutes ago, KUGRDON said:

I was just researching this and edited prior post.  Question is, 2018 sustainable or Trump factor, we’ll see.  Of course your claims Re engagement other than 2018 is false.

Uh, what?

What "claims" did I make?

Trump has energized the youth in America; for that, I'll give him credit in the same way I'd credit Hitler with the Warsaw Uprising.

On 10/16/2019 at 4:08 PM, Orange said:

KugrDon thinks LeBron isn't cool because he's old (34) and in LA.

Obama is 58.  He bailed out Bank of America for fuck's sake.

Michelle might be cool, but that's mainly among woke white girls, 35 and over.

“LeBron’s aging and move to the Lakers will have far more affect on his cool factor than any statement re China.”

You read about as well as Bruin.  Time to switch to pictures bro.

1 minute ago, KUGRDON said:

“LeBron’s aging and move to the Lakers will have far more affect on his cool factor than any statement re China.”

You read about as well as Bruin.  Time to switch to pictures bro.

What did I read incorrectly?  You then said Obama is cool af to all kids.  He's a former president, you fat dumbass.

20 hours ago, RogueDuck said:

Zion's knees already failing him?  Sounds like he will be out for a few weeks due to knee pain.  Is he the next Brandon Roy?

While Roy was a very good player, Zion’s talent is on another level.  I’m not sure there would be a player of his talent to retire early due to injuries. 

he does seem to get injured frequently.  A man of that size is probably not meant to move that explosively.  The human body is only so durable.

On 10/19/2019 at 11:21 AM, All Hail said:

While Roy was a very good player, Zion’s talent is on another level.  I’m not sure there would be a player of his talent to retire early due to injuries. 

he does seem to get injured frequently.  A man of that size is probably not meant to move that explosively.  The human body is only so durable.

Why would his talent matter if he's injured?

On this, the first day of the NBA season, let's give some uninformed opinions (regular season predicted finish):

EAST

1. Milwaukee. Bucks edge the Sixers because I trust Giannis over Embiid. 

2. Philadelphia. That said, Embiid can be elite, and I think adding Horford and Richardson at the expense of Jimmy Butler is a net positive. It's a two-team race, really.

3. Toronto. Great homecourt and the same cast except for, you know, that guy who wins championships. They've still got Lowry, and this leaves Siakam more room to grow, no?

4. Boston. I like Kemba, and I think it's hard to judge him because not many would win in Charlotte. But losing Horford is a killer. Still a weird minutes/position crunch with Hayward, Brown, and Tatum.

5. Indiana. Malcolm Brogdon is a quietly-gigantic move that both hurts a conference rival and makes Indy veeeeery interesting once Oladipo is 100%.

6. Brooklyn. If Kyrie doesn't wreck a very promising young core, they're the team to beat in the East... next year.

7. Miami. We drop off immensely here to South Beach, where Butler heads a nice backcourt and... Meyers Leonard up front?

8. Orlando. Because it needs to be somebody, and I like Aminu and wish him well.

WEST

1. Denver. Continuity edges the more-talented Clippers; not sure I'll agree once the playoffs start, but Denver is built to slay in the regular season. They're good and deep.

2. Clippers. I think they're going to come out of the West, but it may take time. 

3. Houston. They still have some of the same problems that kept them from getting over the hump w/ Paul, and adding another underachiever doesn't seem like the ultimate fix?

4. Utah. Jazz were a 50-win team who added Mike Conley, Bojan Bogdanovic, and Ed Davis. I have a hard time ranking them as low as 4. They're gonna be real good. 

5. Lakers. Obviously, the ceiling is high. After last year's sabbatical, LeBron is as rested as anyone who played in eight consecutive Finals could be. They might be the best/most dangerous playoff team after the Clips. But I'm going to need to see it. 

6. Portland. We added the reanimated corpse of Pau Gasol to the frontcourt because it's thin, folks, and I dunno if Nurkic is going to be 100% by the playoffs. I don't know. I'm more pessimistic about my Blazers than I am any other team I root for, and I'm a Seattle Mariner fan

7. Golden State. HERE'S HOW THE OTHER SIDE LIVES, YOU MONSTERS. Nah, they'll still be good. A first round playoff exit will give Steph's legs a much-needed early-summer rest. 

8. San Antonio. Because you can't get rid of them, and I'm not physically able to type 'Sacramento Kings' here even though it's a legit possibility. 

Archived