2019-20 NBA

PapaG

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, KUGRDON said:

Took Curry 11 years to score what Barry did in 8, 12 years to score what Wilt did in 6.  He is amazing but he does put Barry and Wilt in context.

Wilt and Barry went up against pathetic NBA competition in their respective eras.  Wilt was terrific, but no way he's scoring 50 pts a game for a whole season in 2020.

• 2 weeks later...

The weird thing? Portland was fighting for a top 4 seed, then got healthy, then promptly began free falling their way out of the play-in tournament completely (only 2 games ahead of GSW for the 10 seed! And the remaining schedule is tough).

We’re gonna have to do a mini-blowup this summer. 

93B2574C-B2CB-4193-A8C8-50F35399E11A.jpeg

More than a mini-blowup may be necessary for Portland this offseason.  The West isn't going to get weaker.  Utah, Denver and Phoenix are ascending, LA will be LA for a few more years (and then will just replace LeBron with the next generational star).  I fear the weight Dame has had to carry year after year, and his drive to play through all nagging injuries, may be seen much more now that he's climbing further into his 30s.  Everyone but Dame is available for the right offer this offseason?  (Mini)blowup to maximize the next 4 years of Lillard, or start stashing resources for the future?

On 4/13/2021 at 4:52 PM, Orange said:

Wilt and Barry went up against pathetic NBA competition in their respective eras.  Wilt was terrific, but no way he's scoring 50 pts a game for a whole season in 2020.

Wilt was certainly dominant. The thing with Wilt is, he was just so much ahead of the game that he stood out as we know.. Much like Shaq redefined the 2000-2011 era for a dominant big man.  Shaq constantly mentions that the game is flawed because they don't use bigs on offense anymore. It's not that. The game has just moved on

The biggest thing that has changed today is pace and space. No longer do teams want to grind you out in long half court sets dropping it into the paint and watch guys like Hakeem the Dream give top shelf footwork lessons and maybe kick it out of he gets a double team. Guys like Malone, Kareem(the two leading scorers of all time) would suffer in todays game. Malone had a great 23 foot jump shot, so I think he could have moved out a few feet and got fairly consistent at the 3.

Zion is about the closest thing we have to a primary low post player and that's only because he cant shoot the 3 right now.  New Orelans is barely sniffing the 10th spot right now(they will be  better next year).

I would certainly like to see how many 50 or 100 point games Wilt could get against Rudy Gobert in a playoff series. 

3 hours ago, KUGRDON said:

Oscar held up for a while!  I guess it’s just because basketball was so bad back then 🙄🥴

It was, compared to today.

Why do you even argue this?  At a time when black people had 1/10th the opportunity to play ball in HS, college, NBA, etc., it's absurd to think THAT time was a better era of play.  

44 minutes ago, utenation said:

Wilt was certainly dominant. The thing with Wilt is, he was just so much ahead of the game that he stood out as we know.. Much like Shaq redefined the 2000-2011 era for a dominant big man.  Shaq constantly mentions that the game is flawed because they don't use bigs on offense anymore. It's not that. The game has just moved on

The biggest thing that has changed today is pace and space. No longer do teams want to grind you out in long half court sets dropping it into the paint and watch guys like Hakeem the Dream give top shelf footwork lessons and maybe kick it out of he gets a double team. Guys like Malone, Kareem(the two leading scorers of all time) would suffer in todays game. Malone had a great 23 foot jump shot, so I think he could have moved out a few feet and got fairly consistent at the 3.

Zion is about the closest thing we have to a primary low post player and that's only because he cant shoot the 3 right now.  New Orelans is barely sniffing the 10th spot right now(they will be  better next year).

I would certainly like to see how many 50 or 100 point games Wilt could get against Rudy Gobert in a playoff series. 

I don't know, but I do know Wilt would probably turn into an amazing passer.  Imagine him getting triple-teamed and kicking it out to Steph over and over.

2 minutes ago, Orange said:

I don't know, but I do know Wilt would probably turn into an amazing passer.  Imagine him getting triple-teamed and kicking it out to Steph over and over.

I'm sure he would adapt but I don't think we see 50 points a game. Which was your point to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2021 at 8:35 PM, glduck said:

Imagine being Phoenix or Utah, you’re having your best season in decades, and you’re going to get the Lakers in the first round.

Let's hope Utah stays at 1 and the Lakers stay at 6 or 7. We will likely give Portland a loss tonight and they will be tied with LA in the loss column. 

Even if we get the Lakers, I'm not so sure they will be full power. They are dropping more guys to injury than you can shake a stick at.  Their final 3 are on the road against average to bad teams. 

Utah is 39-4 at home. I like our chances against any team with home court advantage. 

Yeah LA could certainly catch us... we’re a game ahead and we have the tiebreaker, so that’s good, but whereas LA ends the season with three easy wins, we get the top 3 teams in the West. Blah. Gonna be a photo finish.

1 hour ago, glduck said:

Yeah LA could certainly catch us... we’re a game ahead and we have the tiebreaker, so that’s good, but whereas LA ends the season with three easy wins, we get the top 3 teams in the West. Blah. Gonna be a photo finish.

Yeah. No doubt. Utah and Phx on the road.  Denver at home..  Very tough. 

2 hours ago, Orange said:

Blazers are at least on a hot streak.  They're at the 6 spot, but playing like a 1-2-3.  Hope we can keep that up.  Powell's been playing lights out.

We need you guys to fall apart tonight. Then you can do what you want after. LOL.. ESPN last minute btw.

Archived