2019-20 NBA

PapaG

On 6/4/2021 at 10:30 AM, glduck said:

Difficult doesn’t mean impossible. There’s just a very short list of teams who can take on his contract and remain a championship contender and would have something Portland would be willing to take back to make the deal work. He’s a super max guy, can’t just trade that kind of contract for cash considerations. More likely, Portland overhauls its front office and coaching staff and they deal CJ.

I respect his loyalty but if he wants a ring, he needs to move. I also think Stotts is not the answer.  

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m not sure if Stotts can coach a contender, it’s entirely possible he can’t, but I have far more issues with our front office and their ability to put together a team than Stotts coaching ability.

Our GM just had a presser and said out loud that the talent he has brought to Portland has the ability to be a good defensive team but Stotts held them back, and that scares the hell out of me. The fact that he thinks this team can excel defensively but just “doesn’t” does not bode well for future improvement.

Just to hammer it home, we have a GM who trades away all our draft picks and then complains how hard it is to build a competitive roster without draft picks. We beat a Clippers team without Chris Paul and Blake Griffin in the 1st round in 2016 and he got so excited he pushed the payroll into the luxury tax by signing Evan Turner (out of the league), Allen Crabbe (out of the league), Maurice Harkless (out of the league), Festus Ezili (out of the league) and Meyers Leonard (about to be out of the league) to insane deals. He’s infuriating.

Stotts, whatever his faults may be, gets the results you’d expect from the players he’s given. Portland has the longest playoff streak in the NBA, and he really only flopped once (whatever year we got the 3 seed and lost to the Pelicans). Portland has outplayed its seeding on numerous occasion under his watch. You never saw a Stotts Portland team in the Finals because you never saw Lillard paired with another player who’s ever *sniffed* an All Star game.

7 hours ago, glduck said:

I’ll ask again, why wasn’t Paul the MVP? Stats are neat and all, but you don’t get more valuable than what Paul brought to Phoenix. 

Because he's on the Suns and NBA media doesn't give two shits for the Suns.

Archived