WSU vs Utah

Chile_Ute

What a dominating performance. It wasn’t cold but I did get wet. The worst part was the hour long first quarter and long television timeouts. There was one long lightning strike and I was grateful there was not another. 

Utah simply overmatched WSU last night. Our DB’s looked much better and their db’s were lost all night.  

Mike Leach press conference was pure comedy unless you were on the losing end. 

I'm 100% ok with his comments. We as a society (especially with our youth) have become weak, too sensitive and coddling. With all the media access and scrutiny in a tech world, we need to keep some old school values in place. 

In the real business world and the game of life on your own, we need to prepare these men for reality. Hard times, lean times and to be able to handle adversity and people calling us out. Should we be teaching these kids that when a future boss calls them out for bad work, that the boss is just a big mean, bully? I think not..

The whole shed thing was over the top by Leach for safety reasons but a little call out in the media (which happened to be 100% correct) is just fine in my book.. They interviewed Gordon right after Leach and they asked him what he thought of his coach calling them soft.. He pretty much agreed and said the team needs to be more accountable. If you're too soft to handle these type of comments, you probably shouldn't be playing this sport and you will have a tough time in the business world, especially in sales which is a rejection filled world.

Maybe Colonel Frank Slade needs to pay a visit.

See the source image

53 minutes ago, utenation said:

I'm 100% ok with his comments. We as a society (especially with our youth) have become weak, too sensitive and coddling. With all the media access and scrutiny in a tech world, we need to keep some old school values in place. 

In the real business world and the game of life on your own, we need to prepare these men for reality. Hard times, lean times and to be able to handle adversity and people calling us out. Should we be teaching these kids that when a future boss calls them out for bad work, that the boss is just a big mean, bully? I think not..

The whole shed thing was over the top by Leach for safety reasons but a little call out in the media (which happened to be 100% correct) is just fine in my book.. They interviewed Gordon right after Leach and they asked him what he thought of his coach calling them soft.. He pretty much agreed and said the team needs to be more accountable. If you're too soft to handle these type of comments, you probably shouldn't be playing this sport and you will have a tough time in the business world, especially in sales which is a rejection filled world.

Maybe Colonel Frank Slade needs to pay a visit.

See the source image

I don't expect the coach to coddle the kids, but always preferred that the ass chewing happened in private, not really sure what is gained by calling your team out in public. If I were a WSU player, I would expect the derision and punishment ( extra conditioning, not being thrown in a hotbox ) after a poor performance, but by the same token I would want to think my coach always had my back in public.

Would prefer to hear coach say team played like crap and didn't give the effort necessary to win, and then say it is on him, and that he would be taking measures to correct it, rather than basically calling his guys a bunch of pussies in public. Accountability starts at the top.

2 hours ago, Mano said:

I don't expect the coach to coddle the kids, but always preferred that the ass chewing happened in private, not really sure what is gained by calling your team out in public. If I were a WSU player, I would expect the derision and punishment ( extra conditioning, not being thrown in a hotbox ) after a poor performance, but by the same token I would want to think my coach always had my back in public.

Would prefer to hear coach say team played like crap and didn't give the effort necessary to win, and then say it is on him, and that he would be taking measures to correct it, rather than basically calling his guys a bunch of pussies in public. Accountability starts at the top.

This is absolutely the correct, PC way to handle that. You are right.. I still don't have a problem with him saying it in the media.  One point he made is he believes his players are reading their own press clippings on how good they were supposed to be this year, so maybe he wanted them to read something else in the media? I still think we are too soft on our youth these days. I'm kinda old school though.. I work around a bunch of softie, entitled millennials..

And let's face it, Leach is just odd all around..

1 hour ago, utenation said:

This is absolutely the correct, PC way to handle that. You are right.. I still don't have a problem with him saying it in the media.  One point he made is he believes his players are reading their own press clippings on how good they were supposed to be this year, so maybe he wanted them to read something else in the media? I still think we are too soft on our youth these days. I'm kinda old school though.. I work around a bunch of softie, entitled millennials..

He'd have a better argument to dish on his players in public if he totally owned the horrible defeat from Stanford; when you're ahead by 32 late in the third, only the dumbest of coaches fails to manage the clock so that there's no way that defeat is possible.  That Leach-led disaster against UCLA killed the team's enthusiasm and their trust in him.  He has only himself to blame.

1 hour ago, utenation said:

Not about being "PC",  just always considered the team as a sort of extended family, and in my family we always handle family matters internally, but stay a united front to the rest of the world. Always will straight up call out family members on any of their bullshit, but outsiders feel free to STFU, or you are dealing with all of us. Maybe you call this PC and old fashioned, but that is how I was raised.

Archived