Colorado @ Oregon

PAC MAN

Been awhile since the Quackheads had to deal with CU in an actual game and it was a pleasant experience for me.

I recall being confident that the Buffs were going to win with a then freshman QB in Montez on the road in Eugene since CU led Michigan in Ann Arbor before ultimately losing due to an injury to then starter Sefo Liufau.  And CU won in memorable fashion especially with then coach Mike MacIntyre in tears post game.

So where am I with the Buffs about to take on the Ducks Friday night?  After watching Ultimate Ralphie killer Kahli Tate put up Heisman worthy numbers passing the ball with a questionable hamstring and ankle, I'm sure you would think it doesn't look so good for the Buffs given the DL and secondary have been hit by the injury bug.  Justin Herbert has got to be licking his chops this week.  You know what?  That's what I'm thinking.

It's gonna be ugly for the Buffs in Eugene.  I don't think the Ducks are gonna wear orange socks this time around.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, PapaG said:

I’ve never seen an Oregon defense that is this solid and without many stars.  Now watch Montez throw for 400 yards and 5 TDs.

What UO D has been this good though?  I'd also argue that we haven't had a talent like Holland since the D boys.  And I'll bet he ends up being a 1st round pick, which is higher than any of them went.  

We have stars, but most are still young, so they aren't being talked about yet.  

38 minutes ago, glduck said:

Without looking up stats, 2010 and 2012 have been the gold standard for UO defenses this millennium, no? Eager to see what this one can do against better quarterbacks.

This D seems better than both those groups so far.  But we'll see.  

1 minute ago, azgreg said:

2010: 

Total Defense 346 yards (34th) 

Scoring Defense: 18.69 (12th)

2012:

Total defense: 374 (44th)

Scoring Defense: 21.62 (25th)

2019 (so far):

Total Defense: 262.8 (10th)

Scoring Defense: 10.5 (7th)

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/28

http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rankingSummary?org=529&year=2012&week=19

I knew someone would eventually bring up some stats.

Here's the problem with these stats - for ALL teams …. These stats really don't give a good representation of who is actually good and who is actually bad, because these stats are greatly dependent on the quality of opponents played.

Hypothetically, if BAMA plays 10 G5 opponents, their numbers (both offensive and defensive) are going to rank high among FBS teams.  Conversely, if UW plays 10 games against NFL teams, their numbers (both offensive and defensive) are going to rank low.

In short, the numbers on these stats are more reflective of the quality of opponents played.  Additionally, six games into the season is not a large enough sample size to make much of a determination.

I'm not so sure that this is an automatic win for Oregon.  Oregon really hasn't played anyone in conference with a strong offense, and their own offense has only managed modest numbers, against a battered Cal defense, and a bad Stanford defense.

I think this one is ripe for CU to pull off the win.

1 hour ago, HLB said:

I knew someone would eventually bring up some stats.

Here's the problem with these stats - for ALL teams …. These stats really don't give a good representation of who is actually good and who is actually bad, because these stats are greatly dependent on the quality of opponents played.

Hypothetically, if BAMA plays 10 G5 opponents, their numbers (both offensive and defensive) are going to rank high among FBS teams.  Conversely, if UW plays 10 games against NFL teams, their numbers (both offensive and defensive) are going to rank low.

In short, the numbers on these stats are more reflective of the quality of opponents played.  Additionally, six games into the season is not a large enough sample size to make much of a determination.

True, Oregon played Auburn, so their D stats are likely inflated. 

I agree the 20.5 spread might be too high for this one since CU hasn't been turning the ball over on offense and doing a nice job taking the ball away on defense this season plus the Buffs do not move at a high tempo on offense like in the past.

The Buffs were down at least eight starters last weekend against Arizona (a reason for the spread being that high?) and should get some of those starters back for this game.  It'd be great if CU gets Mustfa Johnson back as well so he can go after Herbert.

3 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

I agree the 20.5 spread might be too high for this one since CU hasn't been turning the ball over on offense and doing a nice job taking the ball away on defense this season plus the Buffs do not move at a high tempo on offense like in the past.

The Buffs were down at least eight starters last weekend against Arizona (a reason for the spread being that high?) and should get some of those starters back for this game.  It'd be great if CU gets Mustfa Johnson back as well so he can go after Herbert.

Herbert is overrated.

Oregon wins a low scoring game.

22 hours ago, HLB said:

Herbert is overrated.

Oregon wins a low scoring game.

Wow, the sky is blue and water is wet.  Everyone knows Herbert is overrated, it's because he has a crap QB/OC coach.  Arroya has a long history of coaching down talented QBs.  

49 minutes ago, glduck said:

I think Herbs is going to be the rarest of rare things — an Oregon QB who is a better pro than college player.

That said he’s at like 71% and he’s got a 15:1 td/int ratio so it’s not like the kid isn’t playing very, very well.

You have to remember, HLB gets his “data” from talk radio shows in Cooterville Alabama and from the men’s bathroom wall at T Bone’s truck stop in Looserville Mississippi.

I highly doubt he’s watched more than  2 or 3 Oregon games in his life.

Justin can make all the NFL throws including the across the body ones that the coaches say to never throw.  Perfect size for the NFL too.

Oregon is 4-1 and ranked 13th.  How many teams in CFB would give their left nut for that?

Justin is a stud and classy dude for coming back.

1 hour ago, utenation said:

You have to remember, HLB gets his “data” from talk radio shows in Cooterville Alabama and from the men’s bathroom wall at T Bone’s truck stop in Looserville Mississippi.

I highly doubt he’s watched more than  2 or 3 Oregon games in his life.

Justin can make all the NFL throws including the across the body ones that the coaches say to never throw.  Perfect size for the NFL too.

Oregon is 4-1 and ranked 13th.  How many teams in CFB would give their left nut for that?

Justin is a stud and classy dude for coming back.

Don’t forget whispers from the glory hole

Archived