Urban to USC?

Utefan1211

There are plenty that are now “see, I told you he was a no brainer”, but I think those people are either unaware or ignoring the realities of the hiring at that time:

* Coach O had no more history of building a successful CFB program than Clay Helton did.  Zip

* The team looked absolutely awful & unprepared versus UCLA in his last game.  This left a lot of boosters/admins bitter after hearing for weeks how the players would walk thru walls for his ‘head cheerleader’ routine.

* Ed Orgeron is not an Xs & Os coach.  There’s a reason the LSU coordinators are among if not the most highly-paid in the country.  I don’t think USC would've done anything remotely similar at the time & so I don’t think it’s directly comparable. 

basically, Ed O was hardly an obvious home run hire

So — to me, it’s pretty clear that USC shouldn’t have hired EdO or Helton.  Clearly it shouldn’t be hard to hire someone with actual experience building a winning program.

hopefully they get it right next time.  We’ll see.

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2019 at 6:22 PM, Scscsc89 said:

There are plenty that are now “see, I told you he was a no brainer”, but I think those people are either unaware or ignoring the realities of the hiring at that time:

* Coach O had no more history of building a successful CFB program than Clay Helton did.  Zip

* The team looked absolutely awful & unprepared versus UCLA in his last game.  This left a lot of boosters/admins bitter after hearing for weeks how the players would walk thru walls for his ‘head cheerleader’ routine.

* Ed Orgeron is not an Xs & Os coach.  There’s a reason the LSU coordinators are among if not the most highly-paid in the country.  I don’t think USC would've done anything remotely similar at the time & so I don’t think it’s directly comparable. 

basically, Ed O was hardly an obvious home run hire

So — to me, it’s pretty clear that USC shouldn’t have hired EdO or Helton.  Clearly it shouldn’t be hard to hire someone with actual experience building a winning program.

hopefully they get it right next time.  We’ll see.

Tonight I was reminded that it was Sark who was hired at USC instead of Coach O.    

Forgetting what we know now, but looking at their head coaching accomplishments as of December 2013, it would be hard to say Ed was the obvious better choice to (re)build and run a program.  🤷🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

I would have chosen Sark over Coach O back then too.

Check back in a couple of years and see what happens.

That's not why you're an idiot, but it helps. Also wtf, do you mean, is Sark gonna be better at Ole Miss than O is at LSU already? Good grief, I think you must actually be mental. 

I favored Coach O at the time Based on the excitement and devotion of his players.  I have to admit I also liked the way he embarrassed some of the stuffed shirt Trojan alumni who wanted someone who would look good at the golf course and dinner parties.

16 minutes ago, dtd said:

That's not why you're an idiot, but it helps. Also wtf, do you mean, is Sark gonna be better at Ole Miss than O is at LSU already? Good grief, I think you must actually be mental. 

Kiffin is going to Ole Miss, not Sarkisian.    What are you talking about?  You’re calling Don an idiot when you are this wrong?

4 minutes ago, PapaG said:

Kiffin is going to Ole Miss, not Sarkisian.    What are you talking about?  You’re calling Don an idiot when you are this wrong?

I'm drunk, he's still fucking stupid. Also, proving my point, Sark is fired from his latest job. 

Archived