2020 Election Thread

PapaG

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Quack 12 said:

I'm not a religious person, but this is blasphemous desecration, plain and simple.

200602-trump-church-mc-1128_9a9a52424505

I keep asking people who are religious....are you really falling for this shit?

They can't be.  ....right?  This is the most naked example of soulless pandering I can imagine.  Teargassing peaceful protesters for a photo op where you pretend to be godly?

16 minutes ago, azgreg said:

Lock him up!!!!

Jan. 21st, it starts.

But the real problem will be fixing this country from the mess he made.  Not unlike when my son has a messy snack and I inherit the dining room table.

24 minutes ago, Orange said:

Jan. 21st, it starts.

But the real problem will be fixing this country from the mess he made.  Not unlike when my son has a messy snack and I inherit the dining room table.

It's going to take future administrations decades to repair the damage.

What's the benefit to defunding the police though?  City council and mayors have long allowed cops to stay on the force, even though they have a history of bad behavior.  Why not defund them as well?  Where will these funds be diverted to?  I can safely assume in Seattle the money will be used to continue the bandaid that are homeless camps, rather than addressing the real issue of Metal illness.  Which would mean building new hospitals that deal only with metal illness.

1 hour ago, RogueDuck said:

What's the benefit to defunding the police though?  City council and mayors have long allowed cops to stay on the force, even though they have a history of bad behavior.  Why not defund them as well?  Where will these funds be diverted to?  I can safely assume in Seattle the money will be used to continue the bandaid that are homeless camps, rather than addressing the real issue of Metal illness.  Which would mean building new hospitals that deal only with metal illness.

Mental illness calls do not require police, they require mental illness professionals.  If you free up cash spent on militarizing police forces, you have more cash to devote toward drug treatment and mental illness programs.  You also reduce the number of deadly incidents involving police, and save lives.  

It's pretty simple.  Police, since the 1980s when Reagan weaponized them, have been called upon to solve EVERY problem in our society, and that's fucking ridiculous.  We have tons of other civil remedies for societal ills apart from bringing in a guy with a shitty attitude, a god complex, and a gun.

It's a no-brainer, and it's not controversial in most large cities in the U.S.  Well, it's controversial among police officers and their union, but I frankly don't give a flying fuck what they think.  Their unions have worked their own members out of a job at this point.

2 hours ago, Orange said:

The problem is, he should believe in defunding the police.

You can support police reform, demilitarization, and re-allocation of funding without getting pulled into the silly debate over whether "defund" is the right word to use.

Archived