2020 Election Thread

PapaG

43 minutes ago, glduck said:

The debates can only hurt Biden. Short of shitting his Depends on live television, I don’t know what, if anything, can hurt Trump. The bar is so low with him that nothing matters. 

They’re also pointless. Hillary destroyed Trump in all three debates last time around, but people didn’t care. 

For pure spectacle, I do want to see Kamala take down Pence in the VP debate.

I thought she performed poorly and played it safe.  I don’t think Biden and his team will make the same mistake.  I agree with you that these debates are mostly in Trump’s best interest.  However, last time around, Trump had no record and was only on the offensive.  Now, he will have to play defense.  If Biden can repeatedly get Trump to defend his record and behavior, it could be the difference in how a centrist independent votes.  Biden needs to “show strength” (overused political platitude) and go after Trump.  This will ironically be how he can win over some of Trump’s supporters.  Biden’s approach should be summed up thusly: Bully the Bully.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, All Hail said:

I thought she performed poorly and played it safe.  I don’t think Biden and his team will make the same mistake.  I agree with you that these debates are mostly in Trump’s best interest.  However, last time around, Trump had no record and was only on the offensive.  Now, he will have to play defense.  If Biden can repeatedly get Trump to defend his record and behavior, it could be the difference in how a centrist independent votes.  Biden needs to “show strength” (overused political platitude) and go after Trump.  This will ironically be how he can win over some of Trump’s supporters.  Biden’s approach should be summed up thusly: Bully the Bully.

This sums up my thoughts exactly.  I don't think we've ever been on this amount of unstable ground.. 

47 minutes ago, All Hail said:

See, this is what worries me about the debates. The woman who talked policy and laid out her plans for two hours performed poorly; the guy who said “Healthcare is easy, we’ll put out a plan in two weeks” flies under the radar because “that’s just Trump!” 

I do agree that he can bully Trump on stage in a way Clinton could not. Clinton was battling the stigma that she was too shrill, and bullying the dumb guy would have looked bitchy. Being a man, Biden will be able to do whatever he wants.

1 hour ago, All Hail said:

100% agreed.  Only way to stop a bully is with strength.

And Biden has shown a very aggressive posture in some of his recent speeches that give me hope.  His remarks after the "suckers and losers" scandal really resonated, and if he keeps up that tack, I feel better about the election.  And the debates.

22 minutes ago, Mano said:

Trump will call Biden names and make up a bunch of shit to questions he doesn't understand, and his supporters will eat it up.

This is why I hope Biden sticks with the demand for live fact-checkers.

It would, at minimum, trip up Trump and make him devolve on live TV.  He'd get furious, and act stupid, and the suburban white women in Pittsburgh and Milwaukee and Jacksonville would finally dislike him.

2 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

This election just got more interesting.  RBG is dead and will the GOP Senators ram through a SCOTUS justice before the end of the year?  Or will the GOP just wait and keep control of the US Senate?

The only thing that will stop the GOP from ramming it through the senate is if Yellowstone erupts which based on how this year has gone so far wouldn’t be all that surprising 

That’s entirely possible, but I don’t even know if they’ll make the effort to play the game. I don’t think they care at all if people share clips of them directly contradicting themselves from four years ago. Graham has already signaled he’ll vote now, and he was one of the biggest cheerleaders of the Garland Rule in 2016. And he’s in a tough re-election campaign. 

Collins and Murkowsi will express concern and signal they won’t vote, until McConnell gives the green light and then they’ll clutch their pearls and vote. Romney may not, but we’ll need more than Romney.

On 9/18/2020 at 10:00 PM, Scscsc89 said:

I don’t see GOP senators wanting to make their hypocrisy an election issue.  

If Trump loses (or they lose the Senate), I could see them trying to get it done during the lame duck session.  Otherwise, there’s no reason to rush.

What possible reason do you have to believe this?   You’re talking about soulless trash pandering to a totally idiotic base that gets all their news from Facebook.   They’ll ABSOLUTELY try and ram it through.   In fact, failure to will probably be worse, politically speaking.  

I don’t think America can be salvaged at this point.   

because the ONLY thing they care about is winning elections & ramming this thru before the election gains them nothing politically & would hurt them with non-base voters.

If Mitch wants to keep the Senate, he’s not going to ask Susan Collins et al to stake their elections on getting this done in record time for no actual benefit.

we’ll see who is right.

4 hours ago, Scscsc89 said:

because the ONLY thing they care about is winning elections & ramming this thru before the election gains them nothing politically & would hurt them with non-base voters.

If Mitch wants to keep the Senate, he’s not going to ask Susan Collins et al to stake their elections on getting this done in record time for no actual benefit.

we’ll see who is right.

This actually improves lindsey Graham’s chances in SC. They have something to think about aside from Covid.  

This is an unmitigated disaster.   

And McConnell is in a bit of a dogfight of his own in Kentucky.  I don’t think he’s going to wait until the election. 

And why would it matter?  Even if it loses and we pick up 5 senate seats, they’re not sworn in.  And the court is 6-3 for a generation....

Unless we bomb the filibuster and pack the court.  And I think we should.   Because conservatives are an existential threat to this country and our democracy.  

Archived