‘19 Championship Game: Utah/Oregon

glduck

Just now, PapaG said:

After watching Oregon dominate a very good Utah team I’d put the Ducks up against anyone in the country and it would be a decent game.  They controlled the line of scrimmage.

I was not impressed with Oregon.  I thought Oregon was average, at best.  And Utah is good, not very good.  They lost to the only two CFP ranked teams they faced.

Oregon will lose to PSU or Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.  Utah will probably lose their bowl game, too.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, HLB said:

Washington was undefeated in 2017.  That's why they got in.

If Oregon played a CMU instead of Auburn, but finished as a 1-loss PAC12 Champion, their OOC schedule would hurt them.  But if Oregon had played CMU instead of Auburn, and finished 13-0, and PAC12 Champion, they would have been in, like Washington was in 2017.

I was incorrect in the year.  Washington lost to USC in 2016, played nobody good OOC, and made the playoff.  Your entire premise is based on your ignorance.

1 minute ago, HLB said:

I was not impressed with Oregon.  I thought Oregon was average, at best.  And Utah is good, not very good.  They lost to the only two CFP ranked teams they faced.

Oregon will lose to PSU or Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.  Utah will probably lose their bowl game, too.

At least try to be a comedic troll.  Ducks will boat race either PSU or Wisconsin.

4 minutes ago, win2bfree said:

UW lost to Sam Darnold and USC in 2016 (the year they made the playoffs).

I was wrong about 2017, as was @PapaG.  He meant 2016.  And in 2016, UW played and defeated a P5 OOC opponent.  We were talking about teams that don't schedule P5 OOC opponents.

4 minutes ago, PapaG said:

At least try to be a comedic troll.  Ducks will boat race either PSU or Wisconsin.

Utah fans told me the same thing about their game with Oregon (when I said Oregon would win handily).   Either PSU or Wisconsin will win convincingly vs. Oregon.

Just now, HLB said:

I was wrong about 2017, as was @PapaG.  He meant 2016.  And in 2016, UW played and defeated a P5 OOC opponent.  We were talking about teams that don't schedule P5 OOC opponents.

They played Rutgers.  Beating the B1G’s version of Vanderbilt is worse than playing Boise State.

Like UW in 2016, many of the same intangibles favor UO.  I think the committee didn't want to leave out the West Coast then and won't want to now.  UW had a popular, likeable coach, as UO does now (not that Rhule is a bad guy or anything).   Also unpopular to admit, I don't think the committee was over the PSU scandal yet (even though many of the people involved had moved on) and they may not be over the Baylor scandal.  Baylor has to win without leaving any doubt if they wanna make it.

All of this is moot if Oklahoma wins, which I think they will.

12 minutes ago, win2bfree said:

Like UW in 2016, many of the same intangibles favor UO.  I think the committee didn't want to leave out the West Coast then and won't want to now.  UW had a popular, likeable coach, as UO does now (not that Rhule is a bad guy or anything).   Also unpopular to admit, I don't think the committee was over the PSU scandal yet (even though many of the people involved had moved on) and they may not be over the Baylor scandal.  Baylor has to win without leaving any doubt if they wanna make it.

All of this is moot if Oklahoma wins, which I think they will.

No matter what happens today Oregon will not be in the CFP. No chance no way.

42 minutes ago, PapaG said:

They played Rutgers.  Beating the B1G’s version of Vanderbilt is worse than playing Boise State.

Oklahoma is in the process of making this moot, but 2016 Rutgers was better than what Baylor has on their OOC resume.  Rutgers wasn't "Rutgers" yet.  In 2014, Rutgers finished 8-5 and finished ahead of Michigan and PSU in the standings while beating Michigan and WSU in Seattle on their way to winning a bowl game.   I could hold my nose and give UW a pass for playing Rutgers, how could they know Rutgers would tank so bad merely 13 games after being decent/mediocre (played 1st game of 2016)?  Baylor's OOC schedule isn't even trying to hide it's intent.

25 minutes ago, win2bfree said:

Oklahoma is in the process of making this moot, but 2016 Rutgers was better than what Baylor has on their OOC resume.  Rutgers wasn't "Rutgers" yet.  In 2014, Rutgers finished 8-5 and finished ahead of Michigan and PSU in the standings while beating Michigan and WSU in Seattle on their way to winning a bowl game.   I could hold my nose and give UW a pass for playing Rutgers, how could they know Rutgers would tank so bad merely 13 games after being decent/mediocre (played 1st game of 2016)?  Baylor's OOC schedule isn't even trying to hide it's intent.

I get it, but it’s not like scheduling Ohio State or Auburn.  It was a bad home-and-home decision and it paid of for UDub.  They do typically have a solid P5 OOC game.  The year the Ducks made the CFP they played a solid Michigan State team and had they lost they would have missed the playoffs.

Funny enough, here is an ESPN article about the Ducks’ future schedules.  The SEC fan here can enjoy watching games against Southeast Missouri State in November while the Pac12 is beating up on each other and also playing a real OOC game.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28241718/oregon-ducks-change-scheduling-approach-search-cfp-berth%3fplatform=amp

Oregon Ducks won't change scheduling approach in search of CFP berth

20 minutes ago, win2bfree said:

Not so moot as Baylor takes 13-10 lead with only 98 yards of total offense.  I am rooting for Baylor to win ugly so ugly OOC can truly be dissected if the committee rewards Baylor for it.

Totally agree.  Here is my proposal from 20 years ago when so was still in college.  It’s amended a bit for the P5 versus G5.

I think the 8-team playoff works.  All P5 conference champs and 3 at-large teams, with a mid-major getting a bid as an at-large if they’re in the Top 16 of committee rankings.  That way scheduling a good OOC game isn’t a penalty with a loss.  Oregon opens at Autzen with Ohio State next year.  Loser needs to win out to have a shot at the 4-team invitational playoff.

Makes too much sense so it won’t happen.

14 hours ago, PapaG said:

I was incorrect in the year.  Washington lost to USC in 2016, played nobody good OOC, and made the playoff.  Your entire premise is based on your ignorance.

My ignorance?  You're the one who had the wrong year.

And the topic was not "playing good OOC opponents".  The topic was playing 3 non-P5 OOC opponents.  In 2016, UW played a P5 OOC opponent, within their OOC schedule - and won (even though it wasn't a strong opponent).  If they had not played a P5 OOC opponent, they might not have made the playoffs.

Stick to the topic, which you initiated, of teams bypassing P5 OOC opponents, in order to make the playoffs.

And last:  Oregon didn't miss the playoffs because of their OOC loss to Auburn.  They missed the playoffs because of their loss to 6-loss ASU.  If they had beaten ASU, they might have slipped head of Oklahoma, as a 1-loss PAC12 champion, and made the playoffs.

Archived