Chris Petersen steps down

row Z

I have heard Brock Huard say that he did not see Petersen coaching any longer than 5 years, and that he thought it could be less. He has other interests and does not view himself as a coaching-lifer. Apparently, he views himself more as an educator. 

I am hoping that Petersen is stepping away based only on his personal preference, and that this was not caused by something else (fans, AD, health etc.). 

Husky fans owe Petersen a huge debt of gratitude. You really can't ask for more in terms of a person of intelligence, integrity, class, mentoring this players, and keeping college athletics in perspective. We hit the lottery when he came to UW. 

I have wondered if there might have been something in the locker room that would explain the UW performance at Stanford. It was such a giant turd, and the team was so completely lacking in energy or fight, it was weird. Just speculating here, but I wonder if players maybe caught wind of a transition in the works. That would be the kind of news that could deflate a locker room,

Also, it has been rumored for a while that Jimmy Lake was going to be the successor. I think that is how they kept him around. He apparently turned down the Colorado job. 

Archived