Chris Petersen steps down

row Z

19 minutes ago, row Z said:

Very true. But, Jimmy Lake is viewed as the best recruiter on the staff. 

I didn't realize Chris is 55. I thought late 40's. He started coaching in 1987.. He's put in his time.. Probably a dump truck full of money..55 probably feels like 70 in this business.. Most people work until their 60's because they have to.. He doesn't.. Chris seems like a very definitive guy.. He knows what's right for him. I'm guessing but he won't pull a Meyer and get back into coaching 3 or 4 times... Maybe the new role will be enough for his mind and the competitive juices.

3 hours ago, row Z said:

I have wondered if there might have been something in the locker room that would explain the UW performance at Stanford. It was such a giant turd, and the team was so completely lacking in energy or fight, it was weird. Just speculating here, but I wonder if players maybe caught wind of a transition in the works. That would be the kind of news that could deflate a locker room,

I can end my own speculation above with the tweet below. Sounds like the current players were just as shocked as everyone else. They did not see this coming. 

2 hours ago, mysfit said:

Been saying for years he's not like other coaches. His motivation and goals are different than a Saban or Kelly.

😎

He just didn’t want as much money or couldn’t endure what sacrifice it took to get it.  Most significant difference between Saban and Petersen?  Level of excellence and success.

This saga makes me think about Saban and why he's coaching for a long time.  Perhaps Saban has a better delegation system in place and has been able to outlast Bob Stoops, Urban Meyer, and Petersen in this case.  Money isn't necessarily a problem at those schools and those coaches could have had better coaches to take the pressure off them.

This is an ongoing thing.  When the Ol Ball Coach quit Florida to go coach in the NFL for the Redskins, he had a noble goal in mind and that was to prove the coaches didn't have to work as hard as they usually do.  It didn't work out and working for Snyder the owner might have been a cause of failure.

Maybe that is something Chip Kelly is trying to accomplish at UCLA.

Just imagine yourself being in those shoes of college football coaches who rightfully are paid more than NFL coaches.  Just think about the schedule they have to keep and having to oversee about 120 18-22 year old boys.  At the same time given the money they are earning, there should be no tears she'd for those coaches.

Archived