Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jalapeno

Pretty Early 2020 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Given that Petersen stepped down at UW and haven't heard whether Chip Kelly will stay at UCLA (and there was a fake tweet about Mike Leach going to Ole Miss), there seems to be some changes incoming.

Arizona: I think Sumlin is on the hottest seat in the PAC.  At least the new UA starting QB-to be got some playing time this year when Tate was injured so that's a plus.  Defense is going to be a question mark with changes on that side including the coordinator position.  Schedule looks doable for a bowl game.  If no bowl game, Sumlin is out for sure.

Arizona State: Given that the Sun Devils are going bowling that means more practices for their young players which could help for next season.  Boy I was sure wrong about the Herminator as HC of the Sun Devils.  It looks like it's paying off but the Sun Devils will have a new OC and it is rumored (FootballScoop you know...) that Hue Jackson will take that position.  If ASU won their close losses, that would have been a 11-1 season for them so I'd look for further improvement from the Sun Devils.

California: Hopefully for the Bears, Garbers will last a full season next year.  Looking at the Bears' results this year, that could have been a 10-2 season.  Don't know that much about the Bears.

Colorado: The upcoming 2020 season will be truly Tucker's team and Buff fans are looking forward to a new QB after Montez went 0-11 in bowl clinching games as starting QB.  As a Buff fanatic (thanks Chad for that label), I'm looking forward to spring ball especially at QB.  CU had two good RBs this season but Mangham might be feeling homesick for his home state of Michigan so we'll see about that but the Buffs have a verbal commitment from a home run type of RB in Ashaad Clayton.  I think the OL should be fine and the DL outlook is upwards trajectory.  LBs should be okay and the CBs should be okay but safety is the biggest concern for Buff fans.  Buffs have 7 games in-state and that schedule doesn't look that difficult compared to this season (before the season started) so I think there's reason to believe the Buffs can go bowling but that 0-11 mark...

Oregon: Ducks lose the QB and their OL so the Ducks should be taking a step back next season.  We will see what Cristobal's team will be capable of.

Oregon State: Beavs outperformed expectations this year and despite losing Luton, I think the Beavs will go to a bowl game next season.  That defense can't get any worse can it?

Stanford: Injuries beat the Cardinal this season and a lot of younger players including Brad Mills at QB played a season sooner than expected.  The schedule looks like it could lead to a double digit win season for the Cardinal.  I think they are the early leader for the North next season.

UCLA: I'm not sure where this is going with the Chip Kelly situation but if Kelly comes back, it's going to be a bowl or bust season since Kelly is on the second hottest seat in the PAC behind Sumlin.

USC: There has been early reports that Clay Helton is being dismissed and that could be official today but if Helton returns, the Trojans might sniff a double digit season granted the OC returns.

Utah: Utes are set to lose at least eight starters on defense plus Huntley at QB and Moss at RB so a step back appears to be likely.  We'll see about that.  I think RB will be fine with Brumfield and Shelley has been the backup for the last two seasons...there's always the chance someone "rises" and beats Shelley out.

Washington: Petey just stepped down as the coach and Lake is the new coach.  CU did pursue him last year and he was viewed not only as a good coordinator but great recruiter.  Will Eason be back at QB next season?  If not, what will the offense look like?  Too soon to tell.

Washington State: As long as Leach stays in Pullman, the Cougs have a chance to have winning teams.  OOC looks doable but I'm not confident about the conference schedule.  I'm not sure if Leach will return next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

 

Oregon State: Beavs outperformed expectations this year and despite losing Luton, I think the Beavs will go to a bowl game next season.  That defense can't get any worse can it?

 

Our defense was actually much improved as the season wore on.  We held UW to 19 points, and UO to 24.  Yes, it can absolutely get worse.

My concern is losing Luton and Hodgins.  They were the firestarters on offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Orange said:

We held UW to 19 points, and UO to 24. 

In the case of UO, "held" is a relative term. The Ducks defeated themselves on at least three drives, but you're right, the Beavs definitely improved defensively. 

Certainly the OL is a major concern for Oregon, but the OL recruiting looks like it's been solid. QB and receivers will be the big questions, along with whether Arroyo sticks for another season. Shough looked decent in very limited action this year, but I guess Jay Butterfield is supposed to have the most upside. Meanwhile, Cale Millen lurks down the chart.

EDIT: Oh, and we get the Buckeyes at home next year!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Utah will definitely take a step back next year.  But 4/5 of our OL will be back, we have a good mix of RB's and WR.  QB will be a question, as will much of the defense.  I'm confident this will be a bowl team, but we're probably a 7-5 team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there is anyone thinking Utah would miss out on a bowl...maybe only delusional byu fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Scorcho said:

Utah will definitely take a step back next year.  But 4/5 of our OL will be back, we have a good mix of RB's and WR.  QB will be a question, as will much of the defense.  I'm confident this will be a bowl team, but we're probably a 7-5 team.

I think the Utes can do better than that, even with the losses in this Sr class. The cupboard is far from bare. I don’t think Utah wins the South again, but will still go undefeated in OOC (including the bowl - fingers crossed for the Alamo).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jalapeno said:

.Utah: Utes are set to lose at least eight starters on defense plus Huntley at QB and Moss at RB so a step back appears to be likely.  We'll see about that.  I think RB will be fine with Brumfield and Shelley has been the backup for the last two seasons...there's always the chance someone "rises" and beats Shelley out.

I highly doubt Shelley will be slinging the rock next year. Word on the street is new comer Rising looks good. We also got a former Baylor QB Peyton Powell from the transfer portal. Not sure if he'll be moved to another position but he's a 4 * recruit..

Also, on RB, the stable is full.. Not just Brumfield.. We have Wilmore(who I expect will be the star next year), Devontae Henry Cole and TJ Green. If Utah can dial in a QB, I think we will be fine because our defense is always loaded.. But we won't be as good as this year.. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quack 12 said:

In the case of UO, "held" is a relative term. The Ducks defeated themselves on at least three drives,

Maybe it's "relative" ,but it;s also wrong, considering one of Oregon's TDs was a kickoff return for 98 yards.  So in reality, the defense held them to 17.  

And OSU defeated themselves often enough in that game, too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, utenation said:

I highly doubt Shelley will be slinging the rock next year. Word on the street is new comer Rising looks good. We also got a former Baylor QB Peyton Powell from the transfer portal. Not sure if he'll be moved to another position but he's a 4 * recruit..

Also, on RB, the stable is full.. Not just Brumfield.. We have Wilmore(who I expect will be the star next year), Devontae Henry Cole and TJ Green. If Utah can dial in a QB, I think we will be fine because our defense is always loaded.. But we won't be as good as this year.. 

 

That's why I used "rise" as a nod to Rising. ;)

After seeing Scorcho's post about four OL starters returning next season, I'm not so sure Utah takes that big of a step back.  During the CU-Utah game, I did see that 1980 Idaho State coaching staff photo with KW & Ludwig so I'm thinking the offense doesn't drop off that much and remains consistent...this conference doesn't play defense.

I think Utah remains the South favorite especially with USC traveling to SLC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...