The Flu

mysfit

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Orange said:

We are fucking this up ROYALLY.

-China has 1.4 Billion people. At ~8 weeks, 81,000 people are infected.

-The USA has 331 Million people. At 2 weeks, 68,000 people are infected.

Too many stupid leaders in this country.  The Bay Area acted quickly and shut everything down.  Only 223 confirmed cases out of 7 million people.  NY was slower to act when their population density suggests they should have taken the most extreme actions and look at them now. Over 30k confirmed cases! Cuomo’s getting all this credit from the media because he’s a decent guy but he was too slow to act.  China literally handed us the blueprint on how to fight this and we were too arrogant to follow basic directions.

6 minutes ago, All Hail said:

Too many stupid leaders in this country.  The Bay Area acted quickly and shut everything down.  Only 223 confirmed cases out of 7 million people.  NY was slower to act when their population density suggests they should have taken the most extreme actions and look at them now. Over 30k confirmed cases! Cuomo’s getting all this credit from the media because he’s a decent guy but he was too slow to act.  China literally handed us the blueprint on how to fight this and we were too arrogant to follow basic directions.

Do you think the disproportionate Chinese population in SF led to that decision?  Or is this just a case of Newsom simply being more on the ball than Cuomo?

1 hour ago, Orange said:

Do you think the disproportionate Chinese population in SF led to that decision?  Or is this just a case of Newsom simply being more on the ball than Cuomo?

That’s all great question and it’s hard to say.  One thing I do know is that Newsom has nothing to do with it as the Bay Area was closed down several days before LA was.  LA has a fairly similar Chinese population.  

I remember that the first confirmed case in California was in the Bay Area so perhaps that played a role.  Either way, our leaders were organized and unified and acted very quickly.  Something that I am very thankful for.  

32 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

I think that cruise ship off the coast of the bay area probably had a lot to do with it. It was a crisis they were forced to deal with then and there, instead of slowly reacting.

Everyone on the ship was either bused or flown out and never set foot in the Bay Area beyond the dock.  

I think it had a lot more to do with earlier confirmed cases as well as the general attitude of the people in the Bay Area.  Many of my so cal relatives say that people over there have been very slow to change or alter their behavior.  Where as, many prominent Bay Area leaders and politicians actively campaigned for the cities to create a shelter in place.  This is how 7 different counties were able to do so.  Meanwhile, No county in so cal closed down until newsom issued his order.

I think it was probably more because of all the business travel done to China from the Bay Area.

It seems like the most common job of the dads in my son's class is "working for silicon valley company & require regular trips to Asia".'

That's why I am guessing that Santa Clara county is #2 in the state in cases & #1 in deaths.

52 minutes ago, All Hail said:

Everyone on the ship was either bused or flown out and never set foot in the Bay Area beyond the dock.  

I think it had a lot more to do with earlier confirmed cases as well as the general attitude of the people in the Bay Area.  Many of my so cal relatives say that people over there have been very slow to change or alter their behavior.  Where as, many prominent Bay Area leaders and politicians actively campaigned for the cities to create a shelter in place.  This is how 7 different counties were able to do so.  Meanwhile, No county in so cal closed down until newsom issued his order.

I didn't insinuate that the people were released I to the bay Area, but it forced a lot of thinking about what needed to be done, sooner than most of the places even had a care about it.

"We took over an empty shelf," says trump about ventilators, etc.

Who the fuck is falling for this shit??  He disbanded the pandemic task force in 2017 and ignored warnings in January which, if heeded, would've let do immediate ventilator/mask/gloves/test manufacturing two fucking months ago.

4 hours ago, Orange said:

"We took over an empty shelf," says trump about ventilators, etc.

Who the fuck is falling for this shit??  He disbanded the pandemic task force in 2017 and ignored warnings in January which, if heeded, would've let do immediate ventilator/mask/gloves/test manufacturing two fucking months ago.

Even if you assume that he did take over “an empty shelf” he had more than 3 years to do something about it.  He did nothing. 

10 hours ago, Orange said:

I don't believe the China numbers at all.

7 hours ago, All Hail said:

When China was acting, Trump, misfit and Org were convinced it was media stunt to make money.

12 hours ago, Orange said:

Like @azgreg says, don't believe the China numbers.  

https://www.theepochtimes.com/leaked-documents-reveal-chinas-shandong-province-faked-coronavirus-infection-data-real-numbers-up-to-52-times-higher_3251354.html

In one province, the actual count of infections was 52 times higher.  I also saw one other article about how many cellular phone deactivation have happened apparently due to deaths and in China, you use your phone to make payments like we do with our credit cards.  It's easy to say job losses but when you are using your phone to do business, you'd do anything to keep the phone's service turned on...they don't believe in cash transactions over there.  Those numbers were in the single digit millions so it's very possible that millions of Chinese have died and at least 100 million were infected.  Given the number of Chinese cities that have more people than cities like Denver, it's easy to hide millions of deaths in China without people there noticing.

Any comparison with China is invalid.  Italy is the better measurement but you multiply that by six to match the population of the US.

Archived