The Flu

mysfit

At some point we will open things up.

If there is adequate testing and contact tracing available, along with quarantining the sick and most vulnerable  it seems we could simultaneously open the economy while mitigating the spread of the virus and death. I am hoping everyone realizes this, and we can all work towards that end, rather than repeatedly denying the need in order to try and justify past mistakes, and by doing so making everything worse.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Mano said:

At some point we will open things up.

If there is adequate testing and contact tracing available, along with quarantining the sick and most vulnerable  it seems we could simultaneously open the economy while mitigating the spread of the virus and death. I am hoping everyone realizes this, and we can all work towards that end, rather than repeatedly denying the need in order to try and justify past mistakes, and by doing so making everything worse.

The so-called president sees no need for anything related to this method.  There is ZERO leadership.

I honestly feel like we're fucked.  I really cannot escape this feeling of terror and doom because of the lack of leadership (or even a frontal lobe) at the top.

ALL who voted for this asshole -- or who voted 3rd party or who didn't vote -- carry this shit like the scarlet letter.  I'm serious.  I will NEVER forgive those people, because WE ALL saw something like this coming.

2 hours ago, Orange said:

If there is any justice in this world, Trump will get sick and die from COVID 19.

I certainly am not wishing for him to get sick & die, but if he does, it’d be God’s (& science’s) will.

#BothSides

55 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

I certainly am not wishing for him to get sick & die, but if he does, it’d be God’s (& science’s) will.

#BothSides

I truly am.  And before you condemn me for saying that, I believe firmly that trump's existence in the white house right now is actively killing FAR more people than would otherwise die if someone remotely competent had been handling the pandemic.  What I am wishing for is purely for more people to live (and the economy to open up before my job is gone).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-52543692

Hoping we can start to open things back up, for those who aren't at an high risk of doing from Covid 19.  And keep in place quarantine for those who are at risk, along with making sure they are converted financiallyuntil it'ssafe for them to return to their normal lives.  I know that could be asking a lot of of government to find a way to do that though.

15 minutes ago, RogueDuck said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-52543692

Hoping we can start to open things back up, for those who aren't at an high risk of doing from Covid 19.  And keep in place quarantine for those who are at risk, along with making sure they are converted financiallyuntil it'ssafe for them to return to their normal lives.  I know that could be asking a lot of of government to find a way to do that though.

What articles like these continually ignore is that while very few of us who are healthy and young would die, a relatively high number would end up in the hospital needing treatment (anywhere from 10-20% of all infected need hospitalization).  And our hospital system cannot afford that kind of crush all at once.  It would be JUST as big a hit to the economy as the lockdown.  And if our hospital system gets overloaded, governments would have no choice but to lock people down once more and we'd be right back where we were in early March.

People are protesting all the wrong shit.  They should've been outside the white house demanding that trump use the DPA to enforce mass-mobilization of testing kits so we can KNOW we're not coming in contact with COVID carriers.  If we had the capability to test literally everyone, we could very easily open up.

Fuck, I've never felt more like a broken record in my entire life.  Are people really not understanding how important testing is? 

54 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

... except 40% of American adults are obese which puts them in the higher risk category.  (That's not counting the other 30% of us that are just 'overweight' or big-boned.)

Except the death rate as it relates to age, is pretty similar in the US in compared to the rest of the world.  

And for orange.  I'm not saying we stop social distancing, but we can work and social distance.  It wouldn't be that difficult. Also, lots of hospitals right now are dead, they could handle an uptick in patients, if that did happen.  

Hospitalizations

The COVID-19-Associated Hospitalization Surveillance Network (COVID-NET) conducts population-based surveillance for laboratory-confirmed COVID-19-associated hospitalizations in select counties participating in the Emerging Infections Program (EIP) and states participating in the Influenza Hospitalization Surveillance Project (IHSP). COVID-NET-estimated hospitalization rates are updated weekly.

A total of 13,114 laboratory-confirmed COVID-19-associated hospitalizations were reported by sites between March 1, 2020, and April 25, 2020. The overall cumulative hospitalization rate was 40.4 per 100,000 population. The highest rate of hospitalization is among adults aged ≥ 65 (131.6 per 100,000), followed by adults aged 50-64 years (63.7 per 100,000) and adults aged 18-49 years (20.6 per 100,000).

laboratory-confirmed COVID-19-associated hospitalizations

————
There is no substitute for 2 minutes of research.

3 hours ago, RogueDuck said:

Except the death rate as it relates to age, is pretty similar in the US in compared to the rest of the world.  

Do you have a link for this?   It’s not that I don’t believe you, I just couldn’t find it.  Probably because US case rate can’t be relied on yet because our testing still sucks

I did find this article, however, that lays out the risk of comorbidities in addition to age.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/23/21190033/coronavirus-covid-19-deaths-by-age

Archived