The Flu

mysfit

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/why-do-some-covid-19-patients-infect-many-others-whereas-most-don-t-spread-virus-all

Interesting article about how covid spreads. Seems if you want to gather, doing so outside is safer.

Why coronaviruses cluster so much more than other pathogens is “a really interesting open scientific question,” says Christophe Fraser of the University of Oxford, who has studied superspreading in Ebola and HIV. Their mode of transmission may be one factor. SARS-CoV-2 appears to transmit mostly through droplets, but it does occasionally spread through finer aerosols that can stay suspended in the air, enabling one person to infect many. Most published large transmission clusters “seem to implicate aerosol transmission,” Fraser says.

Individual patients’ characteristics play a role as well. Some people shed far more virus, and for a longer period of time, than others, perhaps because of differences in their immune system or the distribution of virus receptors in their body. A 2019 study of healthy people showed some breathe out many more particles than others when they talk. (The volume at which they spoke explained some of the variation.) Singing may release more virus than speaking, which could help explain the choir outbreaks. People’s behavior also plays a role. Having many social contacts or not washing your hands makes you more likely to pass on the virus.

The factor scientists are closest to understanding is where COVID-19 clusters are likely to occur. “Clearly there is a much higher risk in enclosed spaces than outside,” Althaus says. Researchers in China studying the spread of the coronavirus outside Hubei province—ground zero for the pandemic—identified 318 clusters of three or more cases between 4 January and 11 February, only one of which originated outdoors. A study in Japan found that the risk of infection indoors is almost 19 times higher than outdoors. (Japan, which was hit early but has kept the epidemic under control, has built its COVID-19 strategy explicitly around avoiding clusters, advising citizens to avoid closed spaces and crowded conditions.)

6 hours ago, glduck said:

OPEN UP THE STATES

ok, but can you please wear a mask?

FUCK YOU, NAZI

I haven't seen that as an option.  In seattle it's, "we're staying closed and you will wear a mask."  Yet people are still getting sick and dying.  Then I go to Tacoma, and it's an entire city that has somehow not gotten the memo. People out and about everywhere.  Yet pierce county has only had 68 deaths.  It's a weird virus.  

5 minutes ago, RogueDuck said:

I haven't seen that as an option.  In seattle it's, "we're staying closed and you will wear a mask."  Yet people are still getting sick and dying.  Then I go to Tacoma, and it's an entire city that has somehow not gotten the memo. People out and about everywhere.  Yet pierce county has only had 68 deaths.  It's a weird virus.  

Well, tacoma is substantially tinier and less dense than Seattle, so perhaps the virus isn't so weird....

Oh

My

Gawd 

Some states have been combining the VIRAL SWAB test with the Antibody testing and reporting that combined number as newly diagnosed cases.

This entire clusterfuck is so embarrassing. What are these people using for brain cells? Tater tots?

And before someone asks....the viral test is the nasal swab which checks for the live virus and the antibody test is for the bodies cellular response. As in after the illness. Not to mention right now the antibody test is notoriously inaccurate.

So we have states with no fucking clue what's going on or what their test and trace capability is. We have a president who wants the country opened back up and he doesn't care how many dead he has to walk over to make that happen.

We are a third world shithole. And the rest of the world knows it. I expected trump to fuck things up but he has surpassed my expectations of just how damaging he would be.

11 hours ago, RogueDuck said:

If they are all outside their exposure is less. There is a significant difference in the viral density outside as opposed to in buildings.

The real problem here is that things will sort of stabilize in most places during the summer as people are out and about....and then we'll be emboldened going into the fall.  And the second wave will kill hundreds of thousands, and we'll be right back where we started.  Yay.

6 hours ago, Orange said:

The real problem here is that things will sort of stabilize in most places during the summer as people are out and about....and then we'll be emboldened going into the fall.  And the second wave will kill hundreds of thousands, and we'll be right back where we started.  Yay.

I thought there was no scientific proof yet that covid 19 will be affected by the heat, the way the flu usually is?  

I don't know if it's the heat specifically that does it, but I have read from the very beginning that they expect this to be seasonal like the Flu.  It's just this one is different because wave 1 is taking longer to subside and they are not sure when wave 2 will start.  (both likely because they havent had decades to study it like the Flu.)

I am sure there is a lot to read on this.   The Atlantic had a good article early on.  It's posted somewhere above.

18 hours ago, RogueDuck said:

I thought there was no scientific proof yet that covid 19 will be affected by the heat, the way the flu usually is?  

It isn't the heat so much as it's people spending more time outside, and less time inside, where the virus is more transmittable.   

On 5/10/2020 at 11:01 AM, KUGRDON said:

Finally when at least 42 states have loosened restrictions its irrational to attribute such actions to any political party. 

Imagine thinking you have the moral & intellectual high ground by stating it’s irrational to differentiate between all the different loosened state restrictions and this ....

The real tragedy out of all of this is the fact that Gavin Newsom has allowed restaurants to offer sit down dining but has not opened up wineries.  You’re telling me I can go to a restaurant,  order food and wine but I can’t sit outside at a winery and drink some god damn wine?  This makes no sense!  Come on Newsom!  How can I possibly get the most out of my wine club perks with these inconsistent and unfair measures that have singled out the wine and beverage industry!? 

Archived