The Flu

mysfit

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, azgreg said:

My state, Arizona, is in a lot of trouble.

My parents, who are trumpers, have been posting memes about the ridiculousness of the panic over the epidemic. They moved there to get away from Blue Oregon.

Am I a terrible son for taking some pleasure in this?

11 minutes ago, Orange said:

My parents, who are trumpers, have been posting memes about the ridiculousness of the panic over the epidemic. They moved there to get away from Blue Oregon.

Am I a terrible son for taking some pleasure in this?

Be sure to let them know that every 30 seconds in Arizona a Latino becomes eligible to vote and an old person dies.

I'm happy to know I'm not alone in this sort of generational divide.  I asked my mom how she could support trump ordering the gassing of peaceful protesters in DC, and her immediate retort was "it wasn't tear gas".

Oh, well that's good.  "Peaceful, law-abiding protesters can be beaten, forced back, and assaulted with chemicals, so long as they are not tear-gassed." - James Madison.

Oh, and the CDC said it was tear gas.  So fuck off, mom.

I come from fairly apolitical parents — I did hear my mom refer to Trump as “gross” not long ago, but that’s as political as I’ve ever heard her get — but my in-laws are diehard conservatives. They once took their anniversary vacation to Vegas not for the fun, but to attend a Sean Hannity circuit lecture. 

They actually think Trump is a POS, but like most conservatives, they’ll be on the Trump Train in November for the judges, Roe v Wade, “the liberals are even worse,” etc etc. The usual excuses.

7 hours ago, Orange said:

We're no longer on speaking terms.  😕

That is really unfortunate.

If at all possible, you should try to fix this. No one can drive a person more crazy than their parents, but in the end, blood is thicker than water. Sometimes have to learn to either ignore some things, or just avoid certain topics. 

My dad passed away suddenly a couple of years ago, would give anything to speak with him again. Would have been awful if we were not on speaking terms when he died.

10 hours ago, Mano said:

That is really unfortunate.

If at all possible, you should try to fix this. No one can drive a person more crazy than their parents, but in the end, blood is thicker than water. Sometimes have to learn to either ignore some things, or just avoid certain topics. 

My dad passed away suddenly a couple of years ago, would give anything to speak with him again. Would have been awful if we were not on speaking terms when he died.

They're the ones who cut me off, and demanded an apology.  I'd be happy to apologize, if I knew what I was apologizing for.  

I have a chronic illness, and my mother vocally supports getting rid of protections against pre-existing conditions.  They know I have close friends who are Latinx, and they supported the AZ "papers please" law and support rounding up and terrorizing immigrants.  Their own granddaughter receives special-education support at school because she's on the spectrum, but they support practically defunding the schools, sending kids to private schools (DeVos style), and making it harder for their own granddaughter to receive an education and excel in life.  My dad has an entire gun cabinet and thinks those who support gun control are essentially terrorists.  They're also extremely religious, and particularly the White Jesus kind.

Yet, through all this, I was always on speaking terms.

What did it for me was the arrests and shootings of reporters, the clearing of Lafayette Square, and my mom's support for Trump's insane bible prop bullshit.  I told her that she and dad were terrible christians if they believe trump's behavior is endemic of christianity.  And I stand by it. 

Fuck 'em.  I no longer have parents.

4 hours ago, Orange said:

They're the ones who cut me off, and demanded an apology.  I'd be happy to apologize, if I knew what I was apologizing for.  

I have a chronic illness, and my mother vocally supports getting rid of protections against pre-existing conditions.  They know I have close friends who are Latinx, and they supported the AZ "papers please" law and support rounding up and terrorizing immigrants.  Their own granddaughter receives special-education support at school because she's on the spectrum, but they support practically defunding the schools, sending kids to private schools (DeVos style), and making it harder for their own granddaughter to receive an education and excel in life.  My dad has an entire gun cabinet and thinks those who support gun control are essentially terrorists.  They're also extremely religious, and particularly the White Jesus kind.

What did it for me was the arrests and shootings of reporters, the clearing of Lafayette Square, and my mom's support for Trump's insane bible prop bullshit.  I told her that she and dad were terrible christians if they believe trump's behavior is endemic of christianity.  And I stand by it. 

That's too bad. It is really unfortunate how angry the constant drone of Fox news and conservative media has made much of the older generation. My kids can be assholes at times, but I cannot imagine anything that would make me not want to associate with them.

On 6/10/2020 at 4:56 PM, Scscsc89 said:

My dad keeps on wanting to talk to me about the chinese origins of Covid.

Gene Wilder Reaction GIF

My parents are both deceased but my mother would buy into the FOX bullshit. My dad would know better. Always got along waaaaay better with my dad.

On 6/11/2020 at 8:25 AM, Orange said:

This whole you're either with me or you are evil and the enemy is just tearing this whole country apart.

1 hour ago, RogueDuck said:

Northern California reported that they had more attempted suicides in the month of may, than they do in an average year.  

You need some new news sources — the ones you have are lying to you.

1 minute of google shows the real story.

want to try again & post the truth?

On 6/10/2020 at 9:57 AM, azgreg said:

My state, Arizona, is in a lot of trouble.

Andy Slavitt  was the director for medicare under Obama. He has tons of experience and connections and has been involved with Congress among other things with this pandemic. Here's his take on Az and frankly it's relevant to half the states right now.

Compilation of a tweet run

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1271647784979095557.html

Archived