Big East on brink of implosion?

Guest bendsinister

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be a good move for both Pitt and Syracuse as neither of them are likely to receive much interest from the Big10 and are too far north for the SEC. Wonder what would happen to Rutgers and Uconn.

Guest ASUsparky

Wasn't the Big East supposed to "implode" 5 years ago? It seems like every year this topic gets brought up.

As for the ACC, good luck trying to get Pitt. That school is set regardless of what changes happen around them.

Guest Highlander72

Big East just took a mortal wound. SEC is about to pick off WVA as well, and there are rumors that the B10 wants Rutgers during the next expansion cycle.

Somebody ask TCU how that $hit burger tastes.

Guest Bone Crusher

Wasn't the Big East supposed to "implode" 5 years ago? It seems like every year this topic gets brought up.

As for the ACC, good luck trying to get Pitt. That school is set regardless of what changes happen around them.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6980644/pitt-syracuse-apply-join-acc-ranks-source-says

Pitt is surely set as they have APPLIED to the ACC along with 'Cuse.

Guest dunstvangeet

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6980644/pitt-syracuse-apply-join-acc-ranks-source-says

Pitt is surely set as they have APPLIED to the ACC along with 'Cuse.

If it's true, then it's a great get for the ACC. I always figured that Syracuse and Pittsburgh (along with Missouri, Rutgers, and Notre Dame) would be on the list for expansion for the Big Ten...

Guest Bone Crusher

Tweets are saying that Pitt & 'Cuse will be ANNOUNCED as new ACC members TOMORROW!

Do you feel the rumbling on the ground? The coming quake in college sports this coming week!

Wow, this all kinda came out of nowhere pretty fast

Syracuse was going to the ACC last time until the Virginia Govenor forced Virginia to block them and everyone else until Virginia Tech was included so I guess you could say it was only a matter of time before they got in.

Guest operaman

Would be a good move for both Pitt and Syracuse as neither of them are likely to receive much interest from the Big10 and are too far north for the SEC. Wonder what would happen to Rutgers and Uconn.

I would look for UConn and Rutgers to apply to join the Big 10+2. The Big Ten has long wanted a presence in the New York City media market and the addition of Rutgers and UConn would give them this. I would also look for West Virginia to join the SEC as the conference's 14th member (with Texas A&M as the 13th member, respectively) to balance the East and West Divisions. If the Oklahoma (with OK State) and Texas (with Texas Tech) Boards of Regents vote to move to the Pac-12, I would also expect the Big 12 to fall apart. If that happens, I would expect the Big 10+4 to add Kansas and Missouri to create East and West 8-team divisions. To keep up, I would then expect the SEC (now with 14 members) to approach Virginia Tech and NC State of the ACC to become the league's 15th and 16th members, respectively. The ACC would then respond by adding the remaining Big East football members/Big 12 Schools (Baylor, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Kansas State, Louisville, Notre Dame w/football, South Florida, and TCU) to form an 20-team league. Here is the lay of the land if you didn't follow all of that:

Pac-16 Conference

North/West Division

California

Colorado/UCLA

Oregon

Oregon State

Stanford

Utah/USC

Washington

Washington State

South/East Division

Arizona

Arizona State

Oklahoma

OK State

Texas

Texas Tech

UCLA/Colorado

USC/Utah

Big Sixteen Conference

East Division

Connecticut

Indiana

Michigan

Michigan State

Ohio State

Penn State

Purdue

Rutgers

West Division

Kansas

Illinois

Iowa

Minnesota

Missouri

Nebraska

Northwestern

Wisconsin

Southeastern Conference

East Division

Florida

Georgia

Kentucky

NC State

South Carolina

Tennessee

Virginia Tech

West Virginia

West Division

Alabama

Arkansas

Auburn

LSU

Mississippi State

Ole Miss

Texas A&M

Vanderbilt

Atlantic Coast Conference

North Division

Boston College

Cincinnati

Iowa State

Kansas State

Louisville

Maryland

Notre Dame

Pittsburgh

Syracuse

Virginia

South Division

Baylor

Clemson

Duke

Florida State

Georgia Tech

Miami (FL)

North Carolina

South Florida

TCU

Wake Forest

Guest dunstvangeet

No way Big-10 goes to 16 without Notre Dame.

Operaman, there is absolutely no way that the PAC-16 goes with a north-south split the way that you've outlined it. There is no way that the California schools, the Northwest schools, or Colorado or Utah will vote for it.

The PAC-16 will go with a simple east-west split. Old PAC-8, and newbies...

And as far as the Big-10 they'll be looking towards Rutgers, and UConn to get them to the Eastern Seaboard (Mainly NYC), and then pick up Missouri (St. Louis and Kansas City) and Notre Dame (National Brand) for 16.

Operaman, there is absolutely no way that the PAC-16 goes with a north-south split the way that you've outlined it. There is no way that the California schools, the Northwest schools, or Colorado or Utah will vote for it.

*insert pod vs. E/W argument here*

Guest operaman

And as far as the Big-10 they'll be looking towards Rutgers, and UConn to get them to the Eastern Seaboard (Mainly NYC), and then pick up Missouri (St. Louis and Kansas City) and Notre Dame (National Brand) for 16.

I didn't say that the Pac-16 would go with a North/South split. I was simply showing possible scenarios. If you didn't notice, I also outlined what the East/West split would look like. I really don't think that Notre Dame is EVER going to join the Big Ten. If they were, the Irish would have joined by now. They've been invited twice by the Big Ten and they said "no" both times. The only way that Notre Dame is ever going to join a conference in football is if they have no other choice. The Big Ten is not just going to go that route again. Kansas would jump to the Big Ten without question. Also, Kansas (who is a member of the AAU and a major public research university) seems to fit the profile of the current Big Ten better than Notre Dame does. Adding Kansas would also give the Big Ten an additional TV market to get their TV network into. With the addition of Kansas AND Missouri, the Big Ten would have a stranglehold over the Kansas City AND St. Louis TV markets. They would gain no new TV revenue with the addition of Notre Dame because the Big Ten already has two schools in the State of Indiana (Indiana and Purdue). Not to mention that Kansas has an incredible national basketball program. I simply think that the Jayhawks are a more realistic option.

I really don't think that Notre Dame is EVER going to join the Big Ten. If they were, the Irish would have joined by now. They've been invited twice by the Big Ten and they said "no" both times. The only way that Notre Dame is ever going to join a conference in football is if they have no other choice. The Big Ten is not just going to go that route again. Kansas would jump to the Big Ten without question.

Notre Dame hasn't been in a position where they would need to join a conference like they will if we start seeing 16 team superconferences appearing. Once the superconferences arrive it would be followed by the creation of a playoff system and that would kill the viability of independence for Notre Dame. The Big-10 has had an open invitation for Notre Dame since before any of us were born and they will keep waiting.

Guest West Coast

http://rutgers.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1266435

Looks like Rutgers is getting ready to step out of the door of the Big East as well.

Rutgers/Norte Dame to the B1G?

amazing. Who would the other two be? KU and Mizzou? Seems to make sense.

I hope we can steal KU instead of Texas Tech though.

Who are the other 3 teams that the SEC plucks away ? Louisville? Bueller? Bueller.....

Archived