Trouble in L.A.

Coug LJ

It appears both USC and UCLA are in hot water.

Former RB Joe McKnight appears to have received illegal benefits while at USC. There were rumors at the time, but he was cleared. Now, his name has resurfaced with payments and a car from a former UW alum/booster. Here are a number of links.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=mcknight+football+scandle&form=AARMHP&pq=mcknight+football+scandle&sc=0-18&sp=-1&qs=n&sk=

UCLA Basketball is also neck-deep in scandal surrounding their #1 ranked recruiting class. Top player, Shabazz Muhammad is at the center of the storm and may include top recruits Kyle Anderson and Tony Parker as well.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=shabazz+muhammad+recruiting+rumors&qs=AS&form=QBRE&pq=shabazz+muhammad+recrui&sc=7-23&sp=5&sk=AS4

These are serious situations with likely repercussions to USC and UCLA.

In regards to USC, If the NCAA were to find that violations occurred before the sanctions were handed down in June 2010, USC would not appear to be subject to “repeat violator†sanctions.

The thing I find crazy about this case is that the guy had zero ties to USC. If this turns out to be true, what was the guys motivation to give Joe money?

As far as it stands, there are no repercussions with UCLA other than a player being unable to play

What I have picked up is the NCAA warned schools prior to Shabazz Muhammad signing that there were big red flags surrounding his recruitment. The way it has been protrayed on multiple websites I have visited is Bazz's recruitment was conducted in a Cam Newton sort of fashion - pay for play - and schools like Duke were unable to land him because they would not pay. There are similar allegations being made about Kyle Anderson, and to a less degree Parker.

In regards to USC, If the NCAA were to find that violations occurred before the sanctions were handed down in June 2010, USC would not appear to be subject to “repeat violator†sanctions.

The thing I find crazy about this case is that the guy had zero ties to USC. If this turns out to be true, what was the guys motivation to give Joe money?

Lloyd Lake and Michael Michaels had zero ties to USC as well. Athletes are told they cannot receive illegal benefits and if they take money, cars, etc, the institution where they play will suffer penalties. The silver lining is the violations with Mcknight and Jefferson took place before 2010. If true, the standard policy is to vacate wins, championships won while the players took illegal benefits.

Lloyd Lake and Michael Michaels had zero ties to USC as well. Athletes are told they cannot receive illegal benefits and if they take money, cars, etc, the institution where they play will suffer penalties. The silver lining is the violations with Mcknight and Jefferson took place before 2010. If true, the standard policy is to vacate wins, championships won while the players took illegal benefits.

As long as SC didn't know what was going on, I suspect this will be a minimal issue, if any.

As long as SC didn't know what was going on, I suspect this will be a minimal issue, if any.

That it flawed logic. USC claims to have known nothing about Reggie Bush and how did that work out?

A school's knowledge of illegal activity cannot be the determining factor in illegal activity. If so, there would be widespread "pay for play" schemes set up all over College Football and Basketball by boosters. ...My bad, it looks that is happening, anyway.

Lloyd Lake and Michael Michaels had zero ties to USC as well. Athletes are told they cannot receive illegal benefits and if they take money, cars, etc, the institution where they play will suffer penalties.

Lake and Michaels were trying to get Bush to sign with their "would be" sports marketing firm/agent. No one does about the guy that "paid" Joe.

What I have picked up is the NCAA warned schools prior to Shabazz Muhammad signing that there were big red flags surrounding his recruitment. The way it has been protrayed on multiple websites I have visited is Bazz's recruitment was conducted in a Cam Newton sort of fashion - pay for play - and schools like Duke were unable to land him because they would not pay. There are similar allegations being made about Kyle Anderson, and to a less degree Parker.

I think that is Duke fan rationalizing why he didn't sign with them.

UCLA received the letter, which is why there is an investigation. It's into Shabazz ans his dads friend. Not Shabazz and being paid by UCLA.

The ka stuff is that he received a 250k house. Where can u buy a nice house for 200k? Detroit?

Parker has been cleared

It is amazing that the NCAA would send a letter to basketball programs warning them about a recruit - I have never heard of that before.

Of course, with all the shady dealings in college sports going on it is probably par for the course. 250K doesn't sound all that much for a house, but it probably could get you in trouble. I think it is less than what Cam Newton and Reggie Bush got.

IMO, they should let the kids go pro out of high school. When the NCAA starts warning colleges about recruits sharking down programs something has got to change.

I think that is Duke fan rationalizing why he didn't sign with them.

UCLA received the letter, which is why there is an investigation. It's into Shabazz ans his dads friend. Not Shabazz and being paid by UCLA.

The ka stuff is that he received a 250k house. Where can u buy a nice house for 200k? Detroit?

Parker has been cleared

That it flawed logic. USC claims to have known nothing about Reggie Bush and how did that work out?

A school's knowledge of illegal activity cannot be the determining factor in illegal activity. If so, there would be widespread "pay for play" schemes set up all over College Football and Basketball by boosters. ...My bad, it looks that is happening, anyway.

They'll use their fallback "Lack of institutional control" to hammer them if they want to.

No. Oj mayo's final schools were USC and KSU. Shabazz's were Duke, UNC, UCLA, UK, and whoever was doing the interview. No one was scared off by the letter. UCLA had also lead for Bazz since he was a freshmen. The only ones who didn't think so were the fans who think an offer by their school means they are a lock to come

The hot rumor out there is Bazz got paid. The Dookies are pissed that K and the coaching staff wasted their time because when it came right down to it, Bazz wasn't going anywhere unless he got paid. I don't know if if was that cut and dried, but that is the story they are telling the world on their message boards. Others seem to concur with this description of events.

O.J. Mayo and Bazz are the only two I can remember having a letter written about by the NCAA. That's not good company. ...I would be a little worried if I were a UCLA fan.

No. Oj mayo's final schools were USC and KSU. Shabazz's were Duke, UNC, UCLA, UK, and whoever was doing the interview. No one was scared off by the letter. UCLA had also lead for Bazz since he was a freshmen. The only ones who didn't think so were the fans who think an offer by their school means they are a lock to come

Well, the obvious explanation is self interest. Most team web sites are not interested in spreading dirt on their 5 star recruit.

On the other hand if there is nothing to the story why didn't Bazz go to China and is not yet eligible?

...As the expression goes: where there's smoke, there's fire.

Message board rumors of spurned lovers....haha...if its that obvious, why hasn't a site like BRO or any news site broken the story about Bazz?

He's not cleared, he hasn't been deemed ineligible.

As for the websites, breaking those stories means much to there respectability than keeping it in the dark. Subscriptions would go up, but maybe BRO is different. Afterall, they broke the KA and TP thing. It's also not "their" recruit because they didn't commit to that site. Some websites do recruit for their schools, so I understand why you might be lead that way to think. I know Cougars feel that uw's scout site downplays wsu recruits despite facts and figures, but everyone feels that its s conspiracy theory against their school. I tend to be a little less emotional and reactionary.

Archived