Random

KUGRDON

4 hours ago, Orange said:

I don't foresee ANY slogan proffered by the Left that the Right would consider, or respect.

I think we waste our time with moderate republicans.  That fantasy of bringing them into the fold has been peddled to me EVERY election cycle, and it's always a mirage.  Fuck the Lincoln Project, fuck Mitt Romnery and Kasich.  Those guys don't like those slogans, and I get that.  I just don't care.  I truly truly do not believe the democratic party should waste its time trying to change those minds.

We are not going to get any of the GOP. When they talk of compromise, it means they want the left to back down.

However, the "Defund the Police" slogan scares the moderate Democrats and Independents as well. The other side packages it into messages that are damaging to the Democrats. Trump is a despicable human being, but he understands branding and messaging. Pretending that we are above such concerns will not serve the Democrats well. When choosing a slogan, they need to think about the message it conveys, and if it will help or hurt the cause.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Orange said:

The reason a huge blue wave didn't happen in 2020 is because a MASSIVE blue wave already happened in 2018.  Hard to build in more blue voters when you've already run out of them 2 years prior.  

Regardless, this election was won by black voters in ATL and Philly.  It was NOT won by red-state moderates.

It was also won by getting out voters in Wisconsin and Michigan. If Biden were running on "Defund the Police", he would have lost.

2 hours ago, Mano said:

It was also won by getting out voters in Wisconsin and Michigan. If Biden were running on "Defund the Police", he would have lost.

I’m not sure it would’ve mattered.  I feel like both sides just energized their bases, and those who were frightened of “defund the police” yet were republicans voted for trump and would have anyway.   Also, most of the right believed “defund the police” and “ban fracking” were Biden positions anyway, because they don’t listen to mainstream media fact-checkers.  Without the energized minority/youth turnout, we lose this election IMO.  

I’m not sure I believe independents exist.  

4 hours ago, Mano said:

I believe you are spot on.  Biden’s moderate history made it easier for GOP voters to cross over and elect him.

4 hours ago, Orange said:

Regardless, this election was won by black voters in ATL and Philly.  It was NOT won by red-state moderates.

I went to college with a good number of PA people from Pittsburgh & Philly.  More moderate than you think and GA still has a lot of GOP voters who couldn’t stand Trump and voted likewise.  They will most likely vote red for both Senators but could split the vote if they are tired of Cocaine Mitch.  I still think the GOP keeps the majority in the Senate with the GA split but the Dem candidates will most likely be moderate.  Far left Dems need to not bother with those races because that stuff will not fly in the South and Atlanta is pretty much the capital of the South.

Getting that 50-50 split in the Senate is the most you can hope for.

You still should be happy we got rid of Trump.

10 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

You still should be happy we got rid of Trump.

Why just me?

Dude, no offense, but if you're a federal govt worker, I easily make half again as much salary as you.  You have a disability.  And you still support a GOP that would punish your income bracket AND your status as a person with disabilities?  You don't think Trumpism would march off a cliff along with another trump-like figure to ban your ability to breed, or some shit?  These people are fucking heinous.  Why do you always both-sides this shit in your position?

I get why Don does it.  He's old, has $, and gives zero fucks about anyone with any vulnerabilities in this society.  You?  Makes zero fucking sense.

5rh8sbchpey51.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

6 minutes ago, glduck said:

This is the exact message Dems need to clap back with when the inevitable anti-student loan forgiveness talking points flood conservative media. 

Which is exactly why the Democrats won't use this rhetoric and will instead "reach across the aisle" in some pussy-ass way and suck the dick of more rich people.

Christ, this honeymoon didn't last long.

1 hour ago, Orange said:

Which is exactly why the Democrats won't use this rhetoric and will instead "reach across the aisle" in some pussy-ass way and suck the dick of more rich people.

Christ, this honeymoon didn't last long.

Because dems also have rich donors.  They will be careful with this.

honest question, from where you sit, how do you pay for the debt cancellation?  Is this the taxes on the rich?  It only gets you so far.  Would you means test the cancellation?

21 hours ago, CRBuff said:

Because dems also have rich donors.  They will be careful with this.

honest question, from where you sit, how do you pay for the debt cancellation?  Is this the taxes on the rich?  It only gets you so far.  Would you means test the cancellation?

There's no way that's an honest question.

How the fuck did we pay for $1.7T in tax cuts for the wealthy???

11 minutes ago, Orange said:

There's no way that's an honest question.

How the fuck did we pay for $1.7T in tax cuts for the wealthy???

It is, and we didn’t pay for them.  It’s why they were absolutely absurd.  You don’t cut taxes in good economic times and don’t do it when you can’t afford it.

9 minutes ago, CRBuff said:

It is, and we didn’t pay for them.  It’s why they were absolutely absurd.  You don’t cut taxes in good economic times and don’t do it when you can’t afford it.

You end the Trump tax cuts and cut elsewhere.  Defense spending is, and always has been, out of control.  Unlike the supply-side theory, demand-side theory generally works.  Those with student loans aren't rich, and they spend most of their income.

Those seeking most of their income through capital gains don't spend most of what they make.  They re-invest, which does nothing in a pandemic recession.

If we're not going to supply pandemic relief, forgiving student loans is the next best thing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived