Jump to content

Bowl Games: A Thread


glduck
 Share

Recommended Posts

Helton was quoted as saying that they have some covid within the team & one more positive would mean they wouldn’t be able to field a team for the game.

but I can’t figure out if he was referring to the championship game or a bowl game.

he also said that three of the team's best offensive players would’ve probably been out for a bowl due to injury— QB Slovis, WR St. Brown & OL Vera Tucker.

I have no problem with sending the kids home.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Politics have officially infected every aspect of life.  One region of the country thinks COVID is a hoax.  The rest does not.  I suppose it was unavoidable that this would affect football. 

I wonder what the Army coach's views are on the "stop the steal" campaign.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish it was limited to one part of the country, but I live 35 miles from downtown Seattle, and there are plenty of people in this little town who also believe it's a hoax. Fuck, they still think Loren Culp has a shot at beating Inslee, even though he lost the election by 37% or so. I guess if you're a Trumpanzee, you won't believe it until it hits you. One of my closest friends got his positive test yesterday. He's O.K. but he has advanced RA, so it's dicey at best.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Quack 12 said:

I wish it was limited to one part of the country, but I live 35 miles from downtown Seattle, and there are plenty of people in this little town who also believe it's a hoax. Fuck, they still think Loren Culp has a shot at beating Inslee, even though he lost the election by 37% or so. I guess if you're a Trumpanzee, you won't believe it until it hits you. One of my closest friends got his positive test yesterday. He's O.K. but he has advanced RA, so it's dicey at best.

Yeah, same deal in Central Oregon.  TONS of hicks who think Kate Brown is an emperor and can either fix/worsen the pandemic on her own.

The difference is, out west and in the northeast, these people are profoundly outnumbered and laughed at.

In the South, they hold literally all seats of power.

It's fucking terrifying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Four of CU's top defensive players from this season will be out for the bowl game including two of CU's three starting DL.  Texas has some players out too.  I don't know what to expect from tonight's game.  Hope some players will take advantage of their opportunities tonight.

It'd be awesome if CU beat Texas tonight and it's still 2020...

GO BUFFS!

BEAT TEXAS!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jalapeno said:

Buffs just had 49 players for tonight’s game so it wasn’t a surprise with the score.  Remember that Brendan Lewis I was hyping on this board in the past?  He sure looks the part.

Looking forward to spring practice if there is one next year.  

oh stfu, UT was down a ton of starters. That game is a blowout 99/100 times. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, dtd said:

oh stfu, UT was down a ton of starters. That game is a blowout 99/100 times. 

What the Texas/CU game shows is that when two teams are both down a lot of starters and backups, the most telling measure is the quality of depth.  That's when a team like Texas, with a group of four-stars who have warmed the bench, has a tremendous advantage over a team like the Buffaloes, where the talent drop-off is steep.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EastCoastFan said:

What the Texas/CU game shows is that when two teams are both down a lot of starters and backups, the most telling measure is the quality of depth.  That's when a team like Texas, with a group of four-stars who have warmed the bench, has a tremendous advantage over a team like the Buffaloes, where the talent drop-off is steep.

This.

Texas has depth CU could only dream of.  Losing starters matters, but when you can plug in another 5star it really helps.  On top of that, Texas plays well with not much on the line.  There are still boosters pushing for Herman’s ouster.

All in all, CU had a good year.  Dorrell came into a dumpster fire and settled things down. It will take a few years to build the depth, not a ton you can do there.  Hopefully this program continues to build on a successful year (despite the crappy ending).  

11 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

That's the Dorrell I remember. Pac-12 was awful this year but I still don't know how we lost to Colorado.

Because CU is clearly the much better team.  :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EastCoastFan said:

What the Texas/CU game shows is that when two teams are both down a lot of starters and backups, the most telling measure is the quality of depth.  That's when a team like Texas, with a group of four-stars who have warmed the bench, has a tremendous advantage over a team like the Buffaloes, where the talent drop-off is steep.

CU is going to need all of those players to step up next season since there are 11 P5 teams on the schedule.  Texas A&M is coming to Boulder and the Buffs are going to Minnesota to take on the Gophers in OOC play plus the nine game Pac-12 schedule.

The reason why the depth isn't there to a degree is that Mike MacIntyre didn't give the backups a lot of playing time and while Mel Tucker did give more backups playing time, it's something that will take time to fix itself if Karl Dorrell will give the backups more playing time.  The silver lining from last night's game was that a lot of starters to be and backups to be got playing time before entering the offseason.  It sounds like Sam Noyer could be coming back but I think the Buffs recruited over him with Brendan Lewis plus we are getting a transfer QB from Tennessee who has quite the arm.

It's going to be fun following football this spring since there will be FCS football.  It's going to be a test to see how much football one can consume in a given year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/22/2020 at 12:07 PM, MrBug708 said:

The kids are the ones who opted out.

I understand, and don’t really blame them.  Frankly don’t care, if they don’t want to play this bowl season that is fine.  That said, it’s why the pac (in part anyway) is looked down upon.  If we are ok with it so be it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

CU is going to need all of those players to step up next season since there are 11 P5 teams on the schedule.  Texas A&M is coming to Boulder and the Buffs are going to Minnesota to take on the Gophers in OOC play plus the nine game Pac-12 schedule.

The reason why the depth isn't there to a degree ....

...is because CU is a second-rate program that big-time recruits don't want to sign with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, CRBuff said:

I understand, and don’t really blame them.  Frankly don’t care, if they don’t want to play this bowl season that is fine.  That said, it’s why the pac (in part anyway) is looked down upon.  If we are ok with it so be it.  

Yeah, I'm okay with more people surviving and not contracting COVID.  Weird.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

Here is something I saw asked on another board So would the All PAC-12 team beat Alabama or Clemson? It has to be coached by PAC-12 COTY, Karl Dorrell..

You love KD!  :)

and I’m afraid it would be really close.  Much closer than it should be.  I bet the line would be bama favored by 3 to 7.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we would be shockingly good defensively. Hufanga, Molden, Thibodeaux, Tuipulotu, Landman, Tupuola-Fetui — these guys are stars anywhere in the country.

Offensively, we would have a lot of problems. OL play in general seemed way down this year. It would basically be Slovis throwing to the same three guys he always does and that often didn’t even work well in the Pac-12.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...